Things that flew into in MRI machines

Plus a tiger.

Wow, are those things really that powerful?

I guess so! Good way to erase your old hard drives, eh?

There is at least one documented case of a child being killed by an oxygen tank that was sucked into the machine.

This is why you can’t have an MRI if you have any type of Ferrous metal in your body. Messy is kind of an understatement.

40k stronger than the magnetic field, or gravitational field?

Did you stop reading the sentence after “the?”

H.

Did you stop reading the sentence after “the?”
[/quote]
No, he just noted the inconsistency in the statement. The Earth’s magnetic field is given as 0.5 gauss, while the MRI’s magnetic field is given as (converted) 10,000 to 40,000 tesla. Thus, his question. The Earth’s gravitational field could only be made part of the comparison by estimating the magnet’s acceleration on solid objects and then comparing to the acceleration of gravity. These numbers aren’t given, so “40k stronger than the gravitational field” makes no sense in context.

God look at Chair 2! Those are legs sticking up in the air!

Don’t panic sir. We’ll get the chair out of your ass as soon as humanly possible…

[/quote]

Athletic Advisor has old data… GE sells a 3.0 T machine. http://www.gehealthcare.com/usen/mr/s_excite3/index.html

There should be 4.0T to 5.0T machines either in the pipeline, or available for sale. It’s been a few years since I’ve looked at them.

The ironic thing is that MRI’s are probably one of the safest forms of imaging out there. Perhaps that is why people grow complacent and accidents happen.

It’s fascinating, I don’t know how it was ever thought of. Let’s see if we apply a strong enough gradient magnetic field to spin up the H+ ion in tissue, perhaps when we turn the gradient field off (The X T field is always on) we’ll be able to see the energy emitted when the ion spins down and get a pretty picture…

huh?

I want one for personal use. Imagine the havoc you could cause with that thing.

Had an MRI recently, it was a pretty fun experience. Sounds like Dancer in the Dark while you’re inside. I was irked that they would only did 1/3 of my spine at once – while you’re in the machine, spend the extra 20 minutes and go all the way up. Then if needed, pay someone to analyze the extra parts.

I have the results on cd (cool!) and it’s pretty blurry. Even cheap digital cameras have pretty decent motion compensation within the last year or so. Seems like they could really clean this stuff up in post processing. Couldn’t you wear some kind of shell around your skull or body which has a defined, known shape, and then using that as a reference correct for the movement in the other parts?

Remember the days when only Wile E. Coyote had that kind of power?

We’re talking about a machine that, as part of its normal operation, generates a magnetic field powerful enough to get every atom of your body to align themselves either parallel or orthogonal to it.

Do you ever wonder if people in the future will look on these machines with the same horror that we view the flouroscopes of the 50s?

Well, there’s the whole heisenberg thing going on. It’s not quite just a digital picture as it turns out. I’m pretty sure getting the individual atoms in your body to hold still and say cheese would feel a bit disconcerting, but that’s just my guess. I don’t intend to try it. :P