Things you can do for Ukraine

Hey, me too! But anything is better than nothing.

Also, folks, if you haven’t written your reps, it’s really easy! (At least in the US.)

I’ve tried to make donations to all of the animal charities up there but my credit cards get declined every time. Any suggestions? It’s very frustrating and I want to help.

You might try talking to your credit card company. Mine seems to have a hair-trigger on thinking everything I do is someone else trying to commit fraud with my credit card number. I tried to make some end-of-year donations and had to call the credit card company up and explain that yes, it was me, and yes, I really did want to donate the money.

Gah that means I actually have to speak to another human. Great. I’ll try it I GUESS. ;)

No notification from your card company? Mine always sends texts and emails and stuff when that happens.

Nope it’s like it never even tried to go through.

Weird. :( Thanks for trying!

Those links did lead me to become a patron for the Kyiv Independent, so that’s a start.

Nice! They’re getting a lot of representation in, uh, that other thread, so I’ll call them out in the OP.

The National Bank of Ukraine has decided to open a special fundraising account to support the Armed Forces of Ukraine. EDIT: @MrGrumpy linked to this up thread.

I learned of this from The Bangor Daily News.

Come Back Alive Foundation was recommended by Iaryna Iasenytska, a native of Ukraine and University of Maine graduate who is in Kyiv. The organization funds defensive initiatives for the Armed Forces of Ukraine. It doesn’t use funds to buy weaponry, rather it supplies ammunition, training and technology, according to its website. Donate here.

I have a friend of some 25+ years who now lives in eastern Poland with his Polish wife. They’re raising money to help refugees with food, housing, transportation and medical care. I know the guy well, so trust him and have pitched in. Certainly there are better known charities working to do that, but somehow it makes me feel closer to the effort to give through him too.

You don’t know him at all, so I won’t post the link here. If you’re interested, shoot me a PM and I’ll be happy to provide it. It’s a PayPal account, so easy to act on.

I don’t think I’d have the intestinal fortitude to do something like this.
(On reddit, a Polish poster listed some animal welfare organizations that accept donations.)

Any thoughts on donating to UNICEF?

Can anyone recommend a charity to donate to in order to help with animals and pets in Ukraine?

I’ve been using AmazonSmile for years:

In case you weren’t aware, Amazon has a program called AmazonSmile whereby they donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to charity, and you can choose your own charity. I normally go with a local organization, but this morning switched it to International Rescue Committee. Every little bit helps, right?

Sorry for the delay on this. Here’s what people at my work have suggested. I haven’t done any verification myself, but I trust them:

Thank you for helping!

Thank you for these!

For the record, USA for UNHCR did contact me by text, email, and physical mail. It was definitely overkill. However, unsubscribing was easy and seems to have worked–reply STOP to the text, unsubscribe link in email, and an email asking to be removed from the physical mail.

I saw a lengthy interview between Chris Wallace and Chef Jose Andres of the World Central Kitchen.
It appears that Ukraine is by biggest focus of WCK. They have hired 4,500 local workers who serve 1 million meals a day! There is also a Ron Howard documentary out, which I haven’t seen on WCK

As per this thread, we started a campaign to buy generators for family and friends of the Ukrainian refugees living with us.