Things you should never, under any circumstances, ingest but are technically food

But why?

I disagree. Real oranges are amazing. Real orange juice? I don’t like it. It doesn’t taste like oranges to me. Once you filter out all the fiber, something is lost.

Now, if you make the juice in a blender instead of a juicer? So that all the orange is still in there, just in liquid form? That’s great stuff. I love that. But run it through a juicer and it doesn’t taste like oranges anymore.

These are machines that actually halve the orange, and then press the halves on conical… thingies. Every cup I ever got had plenty of pulp in it.

But it appears that you are a pulpist. You treasure the pulp over the juice. Why is that? Pulp is just fiber and actually has little to no flavor. It’s just there to hold the juice.

You pulpists confuse me. Orange juice is wonderful, all by itself. If I wanted to chew my OJ I would eat an orange.

This. This is real orange juice.

(I’m aware how they make tropicana and stuff. I grew up in a place without good refrigerators so all orange juice was fresh-squeezed.)

It’s a mystery. I don’t really know. The first time I discovered I didn’t like orange juice was at Jamba Juice. They have this conveyer belt of oranges that go around the whole store, and finally into a juicer. I was always curious about that even though I got smoothies. Finally I got the orange juice, and it was the first time I had fresh orange juice, and I was disappointed that it tasted nothing like the oranges I loved. Shrug. You’re right, of course, it should only be pulp that’s the difference. It’s just fiber, but without it, it doesn’t taste like the oranges I love.

The juicer which leaves in the pulp sounds good though. I’ve never seen that. That sounds good.

Batteries not required

I’ve done that. No pulp that way.

@RichVR I’ve never been called a pulpist before. I’m going to own that. I’m a pulpist I guess.

Spritz some of that orange peel oil in there y’all. That’s where the real flavor is anyway with citrus.

Oh yes! I learned that when following a recipe to make orange cake once. It blew my mind at the time. Wait, they want me to peel grate the outside of the orange? What?

Yeah the orange peel is often added to baking recipes, not the juice. It tastes just like an orange when you are done or lemon even.

I put lemon or lime zest in a lot of recipes.

Actually made some loaded Greek fries last night – crinkle cuts deep fried, then tossed with thyme, dill, parsley, salt, pepper, lemon zest, torn-up kalamata olives, feta crumbles, and some harissa paste. It was hella fuckin noms.

This may qualify as the single most off-topic post of all time. That looks amazing, I’d ingest the hell out of that.

Yeah, I think Armando got into the Ouzo along with his fries!

I loved this stuff as a kid and I have no idea how. Once I got a little older I realized that stuff tastes like something they’d come up with in a lab if all the orange trees blinked out of existence or something.

Not real, but still horrifying:

And now something I cannot unsee.

I feel your pain. Anything with ranch in it is disgusting. If my only way of getting the vaccine involved ranch dressing, I would avoid it like a brain dead anti-vaxer.

I grew up surrounded by people who insist on pizza is meant to be dipped in ranch. I decided to stop eating garbage pizza. I don’t hate ranch, but I don’t want it on my fries or my pizza.