Things you should never, under any circumstances, ingest but are technically food

Coward!

I was conned into trying some salt licorice a number of years ago. It was the worst betrayal of trust I’ve ever experienced.

My sister was living in Norway for a time and I went to visit her. Upon getting in the car at the airport she offered me some salt licorice enthusiastically. I tried it and hated it. Then she said “Yeah, I hated it too when I first tried it.”

It’s up there on my list of great brother/sister betrayals.

She claims to have grown to eventually like it, but I think she’s lying to get me to try it again.

If your local Ikea has the candy bins, you can buy the salty octopus candy which is like salt licorice. It’s terrible.

Interesting, it never occurred to me that salty licorice would be a regional speciality of ours. All other I can think of are disgusting, but these things are fantastic!

What kind did you get? My own favourite is the “jungle roar”, which has a great reaction video on YouTube

Another good kind is the Terva Leijona, which isn’t as sharp as the above, and flavoured with essence of tar.

To be fair, I also hate non-salty licorice. But the salt seems to make it even worse.

To me, salty licorice isn’t that bad because there’s no surprise: it tastes like salt and strong licorice. There isn’t like a surprising emergent flavor of terribleness or anything.

Mmmmmm… tar.

Taco Bell testing Crispy Chicken Chips. Deep fried thin pieces of chicken, deep fried and served with nacho cheese sauce.

So it’s like. . . Mexican schnitzel?

I think I can actually get behind that, tbh.

Schnitzel is pork, so not really.

Schnitzel is just thin meat, fried. It can be made with all types of meat. Chicken schnitzel is quite common.

Also chicken escalope, which is basically the same thing, but French.God knows why you’d have it with nacho cheese though. I mean, other than because Taco Bell.

Yeah, schnitzel, milanese, katsu, all pretty much the same thing. Fried breaded meat. Yay!

I love me my schnitzel, but I wonder for those what the ratio of breading to meat is.

I love Arby’s Onion Rings. Always made fresh, hot, and huge. Just wish they had a proper onion ring sauce.

Each time I’ve had Arby’s Brisket it’s been terrible. Just awful. The meat is like chewing through beef jerky, the onion non existent and the sugar overwhelming. Tried it 3x over last 2 years and always yuk.

And now for a report from the Texas State Fair

P.S. I want to try all of them.

(I would too)

Well I guess Soylent is technically food? I got a promotional 12-pack of it and I guess drinking it will mean I’m slowly dissolving into a worthless human.

The thing that always struck me as weird with the soylent stuff is how is supposedly neutrally flavored so you wouldn’t get tired of drinking of it. But it seems to me like that would just make me instantly tired of drinking it.