Things you should never, under any circumstances, ingest but are technically food

I found out recently that chicken is called “yardbird” in the South. I’ve never heard of this before. Weird.

Well, given that the Soylent guy doesn’t seem to understand the concept of enjoying eating, it’s hardly surprising.

I basically only plan to try soylent while at pax this weekend, instead of eating horrible convention center food.

So yes that will just bolster the stereotype, I’m aware.

Soylent was not impressive to me. I mean, the science behind it is pretty cool, but eating is something I enjoy. It’s just not something I’d have again unless there was some survival necessity for it.

If you only ate/drank Soylent for like, a month, what would happen to your digestive system? I can’t decide if it would be pooping like a bird or pooping like a rabbit. Hmmm.

I choose to imagine it’s like what happens after you have to do a barium swallow test.

P.S. - I recently had to have a barium swallow test, and it was not, technically food, per my body’s reaction. 0/10, do not recommend.

FYI. After getting the barium smoothie test, do what the doc says and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Do not go out drinking with friends. Unless of course you would enjoy passing a cinderblock through your anus.

You don’t poop at all.

I have one with me for lunch today.

Wish me luck folks.

Meanwhile…

…some of us are (well, I am) curious about what happened with this.

Ah, ok. I got some of various kinds.
One was “Turkish Peber”, which were kind of little licorice candies that were kind of like a blend of cinnamon and licorice? Probably the least offensive.

Then there were some things called “Heksen drop” from “Top’s Heksehyl”, which were kind of like soft licorice sticks, with kind of two layers? Brown inside, and black outside, almost like some weird version of a cows tail. Then coated in salt on the outside? Might be sugar? Doesn’t taste super salty.

Then there were some things called “Dubbelzout” which were from some place called Venco. These were like little small black licorice pieces with DZ printed on them. Maybe the size of a pez, but thicker. Like two pez stuck together. Just appeared to be solid black licorice.

As I said, the “Turkisk Peber” were ok. I don’t actually like black licorice, so I think these were least offensive because the cinnamon taste competed with the licorice. They were more like hard candies than licorice, and I think on the inside there was like some kind of salt powder or something? Not terrible. If I liked black licorice, I’d say it was good?

The second one was, again, not really offensive. Other than the fact it tastes like licorice. Texture is more licorice like, in that it’s soft. Someone who liked licorice would probably like it.

The dubblezout is horrific. It smells like, I kid you not, wet dog. I don’t even understand how what appears to be a licorice candy can smell like this, but it does. The taste is like licorice mixed with wet dog. It is not good. Doesn’t taste salty either though. Just bad. Like, terribad.

So, I dunno if maybe I got the wrong one? Does sweden have a bunch of different black licorice? Or wherever this stuff comes from? The turkish peber has some kind of salt stuff in it, and if you actually crunch it in your mouth it kind of dumps out. If you just let it melt over time, eventually it starts to leak out, and tastes kind of weird.

Overall, I think what I found unpleasant was the black licorice, more than the salt. I kind of liked the salt.

Interesting. Of those three, I’ve only tried the ‘turkish pepper’, never heard of the other two. Turkish pepper though is very popular hereabouts, not only to eat, but also to crush and mix with vodka to make licorice shots. Because that’s pretty much the first thing we’ll try with anything is to mix it with vodka to see what happens.

Can you describe the taste of wet dog? I’ve lived a sheltered life and have not tasted one!

Well, it smells like wet dog, and the taste is how it smells.

Man, I came this close

to challenging you to explain it without using the words wet or dog. I shoulda included that in my reply!

Yes you do. Probably less than normal, and certainly a different texture, but poop you will.

You can google several people using it for extended periods. Most ended up healthier or the same, though highly active people were short protein and it can be a difficult conversion if you just go cold turkey. Plus you can find several reports of highly stinky farts.

Eating Soylent exclusively is pretty stupid, if entertaining to read about. It’s best used as a supplement. Too busy to eat something proper and want to avoid the fast food? Soylent works great. I like the taste well enough and it certainly kills the hunger. But I don’t take it very often since I like to eat and once I run out of the several boxes that somebody gifted me I doubt I will buy it again.

Huh. So that’s Soylent I guess.

Tastes like a chalky thick rice milk. Not bad, not particularly good, just…there.

Olive Garden’s “Never Ending” Pasta Pass is going on sale again.

$100 gets you unlimited pasta bowls and a Coke from 10/3 to 11/20. Eat all the oil and carbs you’d ever need!

http://www.olivegarden.com/specials/never-ending-pasta-pass?cmpid=br:og_ag:ie_ch:other_ca:OGQ2NEPPPR16_dt:20160913_sn:pressrelease_pl:link_rd:1001

So gross.

I’ve never eaten at an Olive Garden. They are uncommon in the northeast, and in any event their food just does not look good to me.