Things you should never, under any circumstances, ingest but are technically food

You shut your damn mouth. That kind of talk gets people hurt in these parts.

Lucky for me that I’m in these parts then. :P Not even good soup. A pot full of pizza. As if. If you can’t actually pick up a slice, not a pizza. A tomato and cheese pie. Maybe. A pizza? Then this is a pizza.

Today I learned that Rich can’t distinguish between soup and casserole.

There was one of those build your own pizza places, Pizza Studio, near where I worked in Baltimore. It was good but pricey, and since the pizza had a thin crust and was pretty small I usually left still hungry.

We have a build your own pizza place near us called Spinfire, which is partially owned by Redskins wide receiver Pierre Garçon. I’ve never been there but it gets generally good reviews.

However, never until this day have I heard of Greek pizza.

[quote=“Charlatan, post:1205, topic:72108, full:true”]However, never until this day have I heard of Greek pizza.
[/quote]

I’m sure they’d be surprised in Greece to hear it’s a thing in the US. But it’s not like it’s an official Hellenic food. It’s just that in Massachusetts almost all the local grill and pizza places seem to be Greek, and somehow they evolved away from both New York and New Haven style pizza into something edible but definitely inferior. They do a good job on sandwiches and grill plates and all that, it’s just the pizza is to stay away from. Sometimes I think the chains near me do better than the independent joints, which is pretty much heretical…

Just kidding, I will be totally eating this

We have what I think is a chain here now called Pieology Pizzaria. The pizza goes together much like what Rich VR described up above. They were pretty good. It is a fairly spartan place, with just a few beer selections.

No casserole for you! Two weeks!

Om nom nom nom nom

“Well, don’t get too excited about pounding 'em on your next midnight T-Bell run, folks, because they’re unfortunately limited to Taco Bell locations in the UK so far. But seeing as Taco Bell UK and Taco Bell in the US are both run by Yum! Brands, there might be at least a slight chance the chocolaty dessert quesadillas will make their way stateside someday.”

But, wait. President Obama talked about Taco Bell just today:

https://twitter.com/paigelav/status/793618357882871808

He knows something!

Taco Bell barely exists in the UK. The last time I even saw one was in the 90s.

Speaking of inedible things that barely exist in the UK, I learned recently that the original Wimpy hamburger restaurant was founded in my hometown in Indiana in 1934. I’d never heard of it until seeing it advertised on English TV. Apparently it’s based out of Jo-burg now. Weird as hell.

Yeah, Wimpy are still very present in South Africa. The chain was pretty big in the 80s at a time when other US burger joints like McDonalds and Burger King weren’t in the country yet (these only really returned to SA in the 00ies). By making some good deals with with some of the big petrol / gas station chains in the 90s, they sprung up all along the highways at modernized reststops / gas stations, thus dominated the “cheap and recognizable fast food burger” market.

In the US the stores had shut down long ago and the UK branches were struggling to stick around. But since the branch in South Africa was doing quite alright, so 10 years ago the erstwhile subsidiary bought out the remaining international rights and is now managing the brand.

Quite a strange journey for a small US burger joint from the 70s!

Not specifically a food item, but this thing…

https://fondoodler.com/

That’s right. It’s a hot cheese glue gun.

Maybe the weirdest thing about it is that it is “Licensed by Buzzfeed”, whatever that means.

Looks like you use real cheese in it. I can’t tell if that’s a relief or makes it more disturbing.

“Craft has finally met cheese” is a cute bit of snark.

Can’t imagine it would “work” with anything other than Velveeta, though.

Maybe to load it you take a can of string cheese and fire it off into the fondoodler’s cheese cavity.

P.S., Discourse thinks ‘fondoodler’ is misspelled. Someone please fix this immediately!

I think that thing is awesome

The Cheetos Quesadilla

(Philippines only … for now)