Things you should never, under any circumstances, ingest but are technically food

Oh, looks good right? Until you notice the corporate brand on the image.

It’s being tested now.

Those tomatoes look way too red, like they were painted.

To bring up an interesting point, they aren’t, and they can’t be, as FTC’s truth in advertising laws apply.

Here is a neat run-down of how companies deal with photographs.

While working with Burger King, Adar said he’s even had to sign a legal
document saying he didn’t alter anything. Chick-fil-A demanded that he
use its procedures.

They are pretty strict about this. They just usually end up spending a lot of time assembling the sandwich and using super fresh ingredients. Pretty fascinating work.

McDonalds has done Lobster Rolls in New England for years and years. I’ve never braved one, but it’s not like seafood salad is a new horror.

I’ve had one. The McLobster is a lot of mayo with some lobster bits served in a roll. It’s a lot like the tuna sandwich at Subway, but at least with Subway’s mayo special, you can fill up on veggies.

Oh Christ. Here’s a picture of the KFC Chizza in real life.

That looks like regret in a carton.

I got two of these Naked Chicken Calupas yesterday. One Wild, and one Mild. My wife ate the mild and didn’t like it much. I ate the wild and liked it. It’s your standard assault on the taste buds with loads of grease, cheese and especially salt. My rule on guilty pleasures is that at the very least they should taste really good to make up for how unhealthy they are. This almost meets that benchmark for me, but not quite.

At what point does it become fraud to call it chicken? I think I will avoid eating at Subways.

I think the lesson is always eat from local restaurants since they won’t have the ability to access the same sort of industrial-scale food products. 88% chicken vs 50% chicken is still not 100% chicken.

Well, presumably you are eatting something other than just unflavored chicken, so having some deviation from 100% is probably OK… Although 15%other stuff seems weird if the product is being sold to you as relatively pure chicken.

I would think that even local restaurants could buy this stuff through a restaurant food supply company

Yeah, you can probably purchase it via Sysco.

Based on how Subway’s chicken looks and tastes, my guess is the other 50% is rubber and glue.

True but use some judgement you know, it’s clear that grilled chicken you make yourself tastes nothing like Subway chicken.

I’m actually surprised that you can get viable DNA data out of processed and cooked food. I would think it would be significantly damaged and fragmented. I’d like to check out the original study.

I think you could. Unless it’s charred to crap and totally denatured, there should be material there.

It wasn’t a scientific study per se. It was done as part of the consumers affairs show Marketplace which engaged a lab to do the test. The full episode is currently online at CBC News | Marketplace although I’m not sure if there’s any geolocation IP restrictions on it.

I wondered the same after reading that article. I mean, if less than 50% is chicken and they still called it chicken, what else have I consumed out there?