Thinking of buying an Xbox 360 (or maybe PS3)

I’m going to have surgery next month. It’s nothing serious, but I will be in bed (or on the couch) for 4-5 days after. So I’m thinking of getting a console, so I’ll have something to do.

I’m mostly a pc and board gamer, and my last console was the PS2, which I haven’t used for over a decade. However, I’ve been wanting to play Red Dead Redemption since it came out, but didn’t want to buy a console just for that. Looking online, though, they’re now cheap enough that I could get the console + controllers + a bunch of games for the price of a moderately expensive board game.

I read somewhere that Red Dead Redemption plays better on the Xbox, but beyond that I really have no reason to pick one over the other, except which other games are available for each one.

Looking at the Xbox, I might want to pick up some Lego games, maybe an Assassins Creed, maybe L.A. Noire, buy those are all available on PC. I think I’d like to get Fable 2, which is not available for PC, since I heard it’s the best Fable and I recall enjoying the first one.

If I were to get the PS3, I’d want to get The Last of Us, but beyond that, I don’t know. It has Lego games, too, I think, so probably some of those.

So is there any other reason to pick one over the other, and does either one have any other exclusive games that are really worth playing?

Also, does it matter if the Xbox has an internal hdd? I don’t think I’ll be buying anything from Xbox Live, but I guess it’s needed for patches, if that’s a thing? If it matters, can I just hook up any old USB hdd? I’m asking because, while I see a lot of Xbox 360s on sale, I can only find one that’s sold with the GOTY version of RDR, which I guess is what I should get, but that one only has the minimum 4gb storage.

I guess I’ll chime in. I bought a new Xbox 360 last summer when my launch model broke, and I’ll replace it again if this one does. I think the PS3 has a better library of exclusives but if/when it breaks, I probably won’t buy another one.

The Xbox 360 has backwards compatibility with the original Xbox, which is a huge draw for me (especially since my fat OG Xbox’s disc drive is on the fritz.) Ninja Gaiden Black, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Fatal Frame, Jet Set Radio Future and Breakdown are all some of my favourite games and I’d hate to lose access to them. Sega in particular leaned hard into the original Xbox, and if you look at its library (the aforementioned plus Shenmue II, Crazy Taxi 3, Outrun 2, and oddballs like Gunvalkyrie) it’s pretty clear that Sega channeled their umbrage toward the PS2 into Microsoft’s system up until about 2004. You’ll need a HDD to play any of those, and 4GB is pretty anemic. It uses a 2.5mm laptop drive but you might want to do some research on which models it’ll take; you might even be able to use an SSD, I’m still using my absolutely ancient 20GB drive. I think USB drives are supported too.

As far as the 360’s exclusives, there’s three niches where it really shines. I’m going to dump the obvious Gears of War/Halo games in the dirt because, honestly, who cares anymore. Then there’s the first-party Microsoft games: Fable 2, Viva Pinata and (my favourite) Crackdown. Once again, weirdly, some great efforts were submitted by Japanese developers. There’s a fistful of traditional JRPGs (Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey in particular) if that’s your thing. And then there’s the entire reason I own an Xbox 360: the things got dozens of shmups. I think that the 360 was the basis for that generation of arcade games in Japan, so it made sense for Cave to also release home versions of the games they were developing for the hardware anyway. It’s got the best shmup library since the Saturn, although the Switch might be rivaling it now. I wouldn’t discount the Xbox Live Arcade either, there’s some exceedingly scarce releases like Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun kicking around on there.

PS3’s got some back catalog to flex as well. All of the Metal Gear Solids, most of the Resident Evils, God of Wars, Jak & Daxters and Ratchet & Clanks, as well as the excellent Sly Cooper games, Ico + Shadow of the Colossus. I really can’t comment on The Last of Us Some people are into the Infamous, Uncharted and Resistance series; I’m fairly lukewarm towards them all. I’ll take Prototype for my open-world superpower dickery and console shooter controls are emphatically not my forte. Curveball titles would be Siren: Blood Curse (or whatever its US title was), 3D Dot Game Heroes, Tokyo Jungle, Folklore, Little Big Planet, and the utterly superb Wipeout HD.

I bought the thing to play Demon’s Souls and that’s still my pitch. I know everybody’s formed their opinions on the *Souls games by this point, whether it’s joining the cult, bouncing right off or getting preemptively scared away by the inundated, and I’m probably not going to change anyone’s mind here. Demon’s Souls was my first experience with it though, and it remains (in my mind) darker, more esoteric, foreboding and atmospheric than any of the Dark Souls games (I don’t have a PS4, but when I do it’ll be for Bloodborne and Bloodborne alone.) The locations and enemy designs are some of the best in all of gaming, and I’d be untrue if I didn’t wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone, with the caveat that only a certain strain will enjoy it. I still think it should be experienced.

It sounds a bit like you’re mostly in it for the multi-plats though, and. They’ll almost unanimously run better on 360, Red Dead Redemption included. I’ll throw in Armored Core 4/5 and Nier as possibly interesting games for that category.

In short: PS3 if something catches your eye, 360 for the middle of the venn diagram (and shmups! Glorious, beautiful, top-down blastin’ zappin’ blazin’ rootin’ tootin’ shmups!)

I am not sure if you mean PS4 instead of PS3, but the exclusive games I would get are:

• Horizon Zero Dawn
  • The Uncharted Series
  • Last of Us.
  • RDR 2

I would recommend a PS4 over a PS3 unless you are really interested in a back catalog item that isn’t available.

He specifically was talking about wanting to play RDR1, and also about going for this cheaply, neither of which make the PS4 a good choice here.

Not quite - Cave’s games ran on pretty dated hardware, and most other arcade games in general ran on some sort of dedicated PC hardware by this point. The reason the Xbox 360 was the main shmup platform for most of the generation was because Sony actively discouraged 2D games on PS3 for a long time (remember, they were also late to the indie party for this reason) and Microsoft swooped in and offered Japanese devs direct support for 360 releases.

The 360 doesn’t just take laptop hard drives. I’m sure there are ways to get around it, but by default it only uses (ridiculously overpriced) proprietary Microsoft drives. And yes, the hard drive is important to have. The PS3, on the other hand, you can just open up and swap.

The PS3 would be my recommendation because there’s less overlap of its library with the PC and it’s more generally useful. It’s true that the 360 has some (software) backwards compatibility with the original Xbox and that has some value but the Xbox was the least supported console of its generation and didn’t have a ton of exclusives that would be relevant these days. And the ones it did, not so sure the BC can be relied on to play.

That said, the 360 does have a number of worthwhile titles as well. I don’t think you’d be really going wrong with either for the purpose you’re describing.

For PS3 exclusives that are still relevant today, I think it’s Infamous/Infamous 2, The Last of Us and Demon’s Souls (but only if you’re already into that genre, not as an intro). The the first three Uncharted games are just what you play through so that you can appreciate UC4, and you’re never going to play that.

Maybe the Ratchet & Clank games? I’d imagine those would scratch the same itch as the Lego games.

Ah, I’m referring to the 360 Slim. It’s just a 2.5" HDD in an enclosure. I took mine out of the cradle and stuck it straight into my Slim without even buying the plastic adapter (I think I needed a torx security bit.) It’s just a SATA connector iirc. For the fat ones, you need the metal/plastic enclosure, and I’m not sure about the E models that will probably be the only ones you can find new.

Xbox 360s use a proprietary hard drive interface, and never got USB HDD support like PS4 and Xbox One have. They do support USB storage, but only up to like 32GB. PS3s can be upgraded with most 2.5" notebook SATA drives, though. I’ve got a 1TB in mine.

That only worked because it was coming from a 360 and was already a whitelisted model with the custom embedded firmware required. You can’t do that with an off the shelf notebook drive.

You’re right, of course. I found this thread doing research last summer and somehow integrated that into “any notebook drive’ll do”.

That used to be the case, but the 360 was updated years ago to use generic USB 2.0 hard drive storage, IIRC 256gb and above. So it is indeed possible to slap an old laptop drive into an enclosure and use it as game storage for your 360. I’ve done it, and have seen no speed differences from first-party drives.

Also, used first party 360 drives for the pre-slim models are pretty cheap at Gamestop should you want to go that way and can find a store that has some in stock. You can also go with a drive configured to fit in the slim’s drive slot, but it’s hardly worth the price versus using a drive you already own in an enclosure like this from Frys or Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-External-Aluminum-Enclosure/dp/B00E362W9O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=KYVKLQH609Q7&keywords=usb+2.0+enclosure&qid=1555942467&s=gateway&sprefix=usb+2.0+encl%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-3

Some kind of hard drive storage is helpful if just to install the disc games you are currently playing, it improves performance and silences the console’s DVD drive, which can get pretty loud if you are playing something that hits the disc a lot. But 4gb of internal storage should be plenty for save games and updates if you want to keep it cheap.

Thanks a lot for the detailed replies, guys. It’s been very helpful.

I ended up going for the Xbox 360. I figured that since I’m mainly getting it for Red Dead Redemption, I might as well go for the console that runs it best. I’ll be missing out on The Last of Us (and Metal Gear Solid 4, which is apparently pretty good), but I’ll be able to play Fable 2 instead, which I’ve also been wanting to do. I might get a PS4 in 5 years or so, when it’s sufficiently cheap, and I’ll be able to play the remastered version of The Last of Us then.

Anyway, as per your suggestions, I made sure to get a model with a 250GB hdd. It came with 12 games, but only a few are interesting to me (Fallout New Vegas and Lego Indiana Jones). I picked up a bunch of games from another guy, though: 5 Assassin’s Creed games, Red Dead Redemption, Fable 2, the Bioshock games, and a couple of others.

I’m also getting a few hard to find games on ebay, including some more Lego games, Far Cry 3 and 4 and a collection of 3 remastered Metal Gear Solid games. Buying from ebay is a bit more expensive, since the games are shipped from abroad, but it’s not too bad.

All in all the Xbox + about 40 games cost me about $200, which seems very cheap to me, considering that a new console around here costs perhaps $400, never mind the games.

I’ll add that I’m very happy with it so far. I’ve only been playing a couple of hours of RDR, but it runs great and looks pretty good, considering it’s a 9 year old game.

Thanks again for your help, everybody. I appreciate it.

It is not. It is, in fact, the worst game in the series, with every flaw that’s dogged the series magnified and relatively little of what makes the previous games genius (and of course V in a lot of ways is a huge departure). But hey, you won’t have to find out for yourself!

That’s interesting. I’d read that it’s one of the best in the series, but now I won’t feel so bad for missing it, I suppose.

I’ve only played the first two (the ones for the Playstation, not the really old topdown ones), and as I recall, the first one was great, while the second one was pretty bad and very weird, kind of like the sequels to The Matrix.

Which ones do you think are good/worth playing?

Of the first four, IMO #3 is the best by a fair margin. An incredible amount of detail put into it, good, memorable bosses, cool mechanics. It sounds like V is great but I’ve only really dabbled with the prelude thing they put out, Ground Zeroes.

Personally I think the best game in the entire franchise is Metal Gear Ac!d 2, but I like collectable card games more than stealth action, so I’m biased.

You may also be interested in the Xbox-exclusive pseudo-port of the first Far Cry (still my favourite in the series, the PC version anyway), Far Cry Instincts: Predator.