Thirty years of horror: The Plague of the Zombies (1966)

Title Thirty years of horror: The Plague of the Zombies (1966)
Author Tom Chick and Chris Hornbostel
Posted in Movie reviews
When October 6, 2013

Chris: Someone had to run the best stagecoach line before railroads. Someone made the best gas lamps before Edison..

Read the full article

I'll admit that Diane Clare kind of did it for me, too. The opening thing with just her and the doctor quipping at one another was quite fetching.

Yeah, this is an interesting one...it was one of two films that Hammer did shot on a Cornish village set, the other was The Reptile, which was also pretty decent. John Gilling directed both. and his style was quite a bit different than Fisher or some of the other Hammer helmers.

There's definitely some influential stuff in this, and I appreciate that you guys pointed out this film as sort of the transition between "voodoo zombies" and the literally undead variety...but this picture still has some of that DNA from whence White Zombie comes from, no doubt.

My first exposure to this film was when I was very small. I had this book called The Encyclopedia of Horror, it had Karloff as the Monster on the front with blood dripping down. Cushing did the forward. There were a lot of stills from Hammer films, and it had the post-decapitation image it. Which really, really sticks with you when you're like, six. When I saw the film some years later, I was like "That's from my book!"

While we're on the subject of the "influential" zombie films...check out Jorge Grau's Let Sleeping Corpses LIe (aka Living Dead at Manchester Morgue). It's a Spanish production but filmed and set in England. It's post NOTLD, but there are some things in it that seem to have made an impression on Romero...there's even a zombie nurse in it.

"It’s the perfect inversion of The Wicker Man, where English authority and religion is subverted by a devious pagan mob." But Howie is Scottish.

Correction:
"a series of movie[s]"

Planet of the Vampires for the horror/starship mashup?

It doesn't matter which province he's from. He's still representing the Queen of England. Right?

I can think of no two people I'd rather see fighting Cthulhu. That's it, I'm going to start writing Sir James and his daughter Sylvia fanfic.

What is Planet of the Vampires? Vampires get their own planet? What do they eat?

The Scottish police don't swear allegiance to the Queen of England.

"The disembodied inhabitants of the world possess the bodies of the crew who died during the crash, and use the animated corpses to stalk and kill the remaining survivors."

Just like the LAPD doesn't swear allegiance to the President of the United States!

Well, English and Welsh police officers have to swear allegiance to the queen. I've no idea what you meant when you mentioned English authority and religion regarding The Wicker Man movie.

Here's a simple question for you: What religion is Howie? I suspect you can figure it out from there.

Well, he's Church of Scotland.

Ha, pretty sneaky! You actually made me Google "Wicker Man Church of England" to be sure, so give yourself a troll point. :)