This has to be a Joke: Turning the US into a Theocracy

http://www.moscowtimes.ru/stories/2004/03/12/120.html

We in the enlightened West smile at such theocratic quibbling, of course: Imagine, national leaders insisting that a modern state be governed solely by divine authority! Governments guaranteeing the right of religious extremists to impose their views on society! What next – debates about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Oh, those poor, ignorant barbarians in Babylon!

Well, wipe that smile off your face. For even now, the ignorant barbarians in Washington are pushing a law through Congress that would “acknowledge God as the sovereign source of law, liberty [and] government” in the United States. What’s more, it would forbid all legal challenges to government officials who use the power of the state to enforce their own view of “God’s sovereign authority.” Any judge who dared even hear such a challenge could be removed from office.

The “Constitution Restoration Act of 2004” is no joke; it was introduced last month by some of the Bush Regime’s most powerful Congressional sycophants. If enacted, it will effectively transform the American republic into a theocracy, where the arbitrary dictates of a “higher power” – as interpreted by a judge, policeman, bureaucrat or president – can override the rule of law.

The Act – drafted by a minion of television evangelist Pat Robertson – is the fruit of decades of work by a group of extremists known broadly as “Dominionists.” Their openly expressed aim is to establish “biblical rule” over every aspect of society – placing “the state, the school, the arts and sciences, law, economics, and every other sphere under Christ the King.” Or as Attorney General John Ashcroft – the nation’s chief law enforcement officer – has often proclaimed: “America has no king but Jesus!”

Even though it isn’t April 1st yet… this has to be a joke, right?

If this is real, it should be accessible on the House’s information servers. As should a list of the bill’s sponsors.

Nope, no joke. Just looked up the text of the bill. Here’s the relevant section:

`Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the Supreme Court shall not have jurisdiction to review, by appeal, writ of certiorari, or otherwise, any matter to the extent that relief is sought against an element of Federal, State, or local government, or against an officer of Federal, State, or local government (whether or not acting in official personal capacity), by reason of that element’s or officer’s acknowledgement of God as the sovereign source of law, liberty, or government.’.

It’s fallout from Judge Moore, the Alabama 10 commandments statue guy. Hopefully, it dies a quick death in committe. If it passes, I’m sure it will be struck down as unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, since Congress doesn’t have the authority to limit their power of judicial review. Only a constitutional amendment could do that.

Yep, it’s real. A Google seach on “Constitution Restoration Act of 2004” is pretty enlightening.

And we’re worried about Iraq turning into a theocratic state???

And I had to listen to another shrill diatribe from one of my work fundies, about how God would be unleashing His wrath upon America within the decade if we allow the faggots to marry. Ahh, you could just feel the love of the Lord Jesus in his every word.

Unbelievable! Judge Roy Moore is behind it, it seems. All the religious sites just love it.

Dude, I don’t know where you work, but I bet you have some kind of discrimination case…?

hah, i had the same discussion the other day with a co-worker. he was “surprised” that god hadn’t already released some sort of calamity against the US, due to our unholy ways. i was stunned that an otherwise intelligent person would say something so crazy.

No, I’m not being discriminated against. Just tortured by having to listen to such nonsense. And it gave me a headache because I was rewriting all our logon scripts while he was carrying on in the background.

I’m still waiting for Pat Robertson’s predicted hurricane to level Orlando. Because, you know, they had a gay convention there a decade ago, and God told Pat he would make them pay.

Congressmen put forth all kinds of crazy proposals for new laws. If it gets out of committee I’ll be surprised. If it passes the House I’ll be amazed. If it passes the Senate, I’ll be, uh, really amazed.

I’m with Kyle, but still, what a batshit insane idea.

I’m assuming the congresscritter who proposed this idiocy is from Alabama, so his potential opponent will be unable to use this as a free ticket into office during the next election?

I bet things like this make the rest of America wish they’d lost the Civil War.

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying for years. They’re an economic, intellectual, and social drag on this country. I say we build the mother of all Dairy Queens in Mississippi, and while they’re gorging themselves on grease and sugar, we can set off explosives that will sever the South and allow it to float off to South Africa.

I apologize ahead of time to those who are offended by this statement. We can’t do the right thing; simply shooting them would make us no better than they are. It’s much better to accept a half-measure like this than to taint ourselves with their orgiastic love of violence, domination, and moral cowardice.

Yeah, them damn darki… err… suthanas is all alike! I say we jes ship off to a furrin lan.

You know, it’s amazing, but I think you may be even more of a repugnant bigot than Cleve was.

Nothing like regional stereotyping to prove one’s own superiority.

Idiots are idiots. Plenty of 'em in California, Ohio, Washington, and Maine too.

You know, it’s amazing, but I think you may be even more of a repugnant bigot than Cleve was.[/quote]

Seconded.

Damn straight. I’ve lived in Colorado, Texas, California, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Louisiana, and Arizona. The percentage of morons in all these states seemed about equal to me.