This is a thread for PS+ (PS Plus) members

Is it really burying the lede when it only applies to the ten titles they revealed for PSX/PSP?

Why do they repeatedly refer to the 3rd tier as " PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium/Deluxe" Couldn’t they just have picked one of those two labels instead of always referring to it as both? Or am I missing something and there’s a difference between Plus Extra and Premium/Deluxe?

I saw that part today… I’m guessing it’s if I bought those PSX (or PSP) games on PS3? It would definitely make sense why they intended to shut that store down before people got upset about it if that’s the case…

I own quite a few PlayStation games on PS3. It would be very nice to play them on the PS4/PS5.

If you bought them digitally and they get added to PS Plus.

Right, which many of them will.

I own a lot of PSX games in the original disc format, but there were a bunch that were (and are) very costly even in the PS3 era. I tended to buy them for $6 digitally instead, both to play on PS3 but also to play on PSP portably. Good times when those are finally available here.

It’s nice to see my two favorite PS3 games on the list btw. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time and Demon’s Souls.

Does anyone know if you can pay a small amount to upgrade from one tier to the next if you have an existing prepaid subscription?

That’s planned, and cards can be redeemed for varying lengths of the 3 tiers.

I like the starting list for PS1. A few gems on there. I’ll be trying Ape Escape 1 and those Jak games (PS2).

I really loved the first Jak game. It’s not Super Mario 3D games level of good, but I thought it got close at times. And the focus really was on platforming, like in Mario, not on weapons like the PS2 Ratchet & Clank games.

Unfortunately I really disliked Jak 2. GTA 3 basically was a huge hit and completely changed everything and everyone wanted to be GTA 3. So Jak 2 added this huge open-world city that you have to constantly travel through in order to get to the next level of your platforming game. I felt that the city itself added nothing and was just busywork. So the third or fourth time I had to travel through that pointless city, I just gave up on the Jak series.

Looking back on it now, I’d be curious to see what they did with Jak 3. Did they go back to their roots and make a 3D platformer in the style of Mario 64? Or did they double down on the open world city part from Jak 2?

My gut memory was they kept the open world. Jak 3 played better than Jak 2, with Jak 1 remaining the best.

They only say that when the benefit applies to both tiers.

Wait, so there’s four tiers then?

Edit: woah, the page is different now. It’s a lot more clear now. Three tiers.

Both Extra and Deluxe/Premium are listed because this is in both tiers:

“PS4 and PS5 Game Catalog
PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium**/Deluxe Plans”

This is only in Premium/Deluxe, and not in Extra:

“Classic Games Catalog
PlayStation Plus Premium**/Deluxe Plan”

Absolutely true, a bad design choice that hurt the game a lot. Particularly the fragile vehicles that made trying to save transit time absolutely maddening.

I gutted it out anyway.

I’ll hand it to them. If they were looking for a naming scheme even more confusing than typical car manufacturer tiers, they succeeded.

So do I want Awesome Plus SuperXtra or Mega Deluxe Overload?

Nice breakdown of the three PS+ tiers from Ars

It was all a trick to get games journalists to post explainers about it. Free advertising!

Or they we’re just trying to stay competitive and had to come up with something more customer-confusing than Xbox Series X.

Edit: see posts that followed and this tweet for clarification, ignore the rest of my post:

Original Post:

Well this is terrible if Sony sticks to this:

Unless this is a communication error or quickly reversed, this is a horrible move from a PR perspective. Existing PS+ subscribers who want to upgrade to one of the two premium tiers in the new system are required to pay back the difference if their currently paid subscription was purchased at a discount.

I don’t care if Sony wants to hold the line and not offer discounts or loopholes going forward (in contrast to the Xbox Live to GamePass ultimate conversion “exploit” that’s been around forever), but that’s really a terrible look to try to squeeze more money out of people who prepaid for subscriptions (which they already stopped allowing).

This sounds like something not working as intended, and people putting too much stock in something said by a low level customer service rep.

Also, the problem doesn’t actually have anything to do with stacking. That typically requires buying codes or cards from a third party, the price of which Sony would have no way of knowing. This only applies to people who bought or extended a sub directly from the PlayStation Store while a sale was running.