THIS IS THE NEW POST-MIGRATION FORUM!

I’m getting a 502: Bad Gateway error when I try to post sometimes. And then if I try again, it says body of content is too similar to what I have just posted. So I cancel the post. I check back later, and both posts that I tried using this never showed up.

Edit: Trying again with an additional edit this time.

Edit 2: Hmmm, nope. I guess I just can’t post right now. I guess I’ll try again in a few minutes.

Edit 3: Again? Come on, work.

Edit 4: I’ll leave it alone for an hour or so and try again.

Edit 5: Nope, over an hour later, still only getting 502: Bad Gateway. Maybe I’ll try in another hour.

What?! This looks nothing like vBulletin!

Tried twice to post this , but couldn’t until now!

2e7qoc

We are rebaking every old post and need to make some performance adjustments tomorrow to handle the increased load. Sorry for the troubles. It should be smoother in a few days.

Posting still slow, though I assume you’re aware.

Had to register a new account after being on here for years for some reason.

Shouldn’t need to do that. PM me details and I’ll look into it.

So I’m going to be that guy, huh?

Fine

WHY THE HELL DID YOU GUYS SWITCH!?!?! THIS IS BAD!!!

Well… did you read this?

I was just now reading that actually. I had no clue that the forum was being migrated - until someone asked me (in the Star Citizen thread) if we lost any of my posts. I thought they were talking about the switch from legacy vBulletin to this monstrosity we’re currently using.

I should probably just buy the site, switch it to Simple Machine Forum or IP.Board, and make a lot of people very - very - mad. Who even owns the site now anyway?

Hey, Clay, I was curious: Is the current level of performance for the forum indicative of future performance or will things speed up substantially once the housekeeping tasks are complete and the forum software has been optimized for the new server?

It will speed up. Working on that today. We will see performance hiccups until the posts are rebaked, though.

If there’s one thing I hate waiting for, it’s iowait.

But if there are TWO things I hate waiting for, it’s iowait and UPS

I assumed that the slower performance was the result of moving to a Qualcomm processor.

From Stusser’s and Clay’s posts the slower performance right now is tied to the entire site being in the midst of recompiling the database, essentially inspecting and recompiling every single post to the forums ever. That’s going to take a while, DAYS was the initial estimate I believe.

It also appears (again from previous posts) that they’ve migrated to different equipment at the new host, and the “new” server is a bit less powerful than the one Wumpus was loaning us to host the site.

Put these two things together and yes, the forums are going to suck wind for a few days. Be patient guys, it will pass.

Alternatively, someone could always donate a really nice server to host the forums on. ;-)

Yes to both of these. It doesn’t have to be “really nice.” It just needs to be a solid dedicated Mini PC. We’re going to talk about that and potentially start some type of community drive to get the $ for it.

Has there been any consideration of just hosting it off AWS? Their hardware is pretty stupid cheap at this point.

The AWS pricing and Linode pricing are roughly equivalent for the VM size we need.

I am sure I am not the only one who would happily chip in towards a decent server host.