THIS IS THE NEW POST-MIGRATION FORUM!

I made some changes and performance feels a lot better now, just have to see if it stays that way.

We’ll probably have to upgrade to the next highest tier anyway because we don’t have enough space to hold backups right now. Discourse is lovely feature-rich software but it is an incredible pig!

I just noticed I was being asked to log in again, and then I wasn’t. I assume you are still playing with things.

I haven’t noticed things being slow, well, maybe a touch. But I am not in that big a hurry for anything.

What before I made the change? Really? Posts were taking like 20+ seconds to post, and often timing out with 503 errors.

Yeah the whole forum was redirecting me to the cloudflare image for a while, but it’s back now.

That was when I rebuilt it, was down for 8m52s.

Whatever you do, don’t switch to cloud services because server bandwidth spikes will burn whoever has their credit card on the account. Stick with hosting a dedicated server instead.

Yeah, we aren’t going to AWS or GCloud, but we aren’t using a dedicated server either. I like the flexibility of a well-hosted not over-provisioned VM.

Oops, I’m just now reading this thread. Clay and stusser have done an amaze-balls* job of making the transition smooth and getting us back up to speed without having to change to dedicated hardware or a new hosting service, and it only took minimal downtime.

In terms of the additional expense, it looks like it was covered upthread, but here’s what I posted in the other thread:

* I have never used that term in my life. This situation finally merited it.

The link
patron.com/tomchick
seems wrong.

the correct ones is this

You know you’re doing a lousy job of proofreading when Teiman has to correct your grammatical errors. :)

-Tom

I love these two posts.

So, I am just catching up on GOT Season 7 discussion and I notice many “photos” are broken…

(go up a few post from this threads and you will note some photos gone)…

CDN error or … ?

The posts haven’t been rebaked yet. It’s going to take months to get through all of them… when you find a topic you haven’t read that needs rebaking, let me know and I can escalate it to be rebaked sooner. I’ll try to get to this one in the AM.

FYI, rebaking starts with the most recent posts and moves backwards, so you’re most likely to find issues with older posts.

Clay we need to get you a Baker’s hat. We need to chip in and get you a hat that says “Qt3 Baker” on it. @tomchick Lets organize this.

… Nevermind… this is not nearly as straightforward as I though. Basically, the system has a periodic job that rebakes 250 posts every 15 minutes. I can adjust the 250 number. It starts with the most recent “unbaked” posts and works backwards. When we migrated, everything was marked as unbaked. It’s just going to take some time to work through the older posts, unfortunately. If you recall, we ran into the same issue when we moved to Discourse a few years ago.

Ok, let the system do it’s job. It doesn’t bother me that much. Thanks for explaining!

Try holding down shift while refreshing the page and or restarting your browser