This is what happens when a Twitch streamer gets "swatted"

The Creatures got swatted. They’re a pretty popular streaming outfit based in Denver. Someone called the cops and had them bring out the SWAT team for a raid. While the stream was happening.

I love the moment (about 4:32) when the police realize they’re being watched live on the internet.

The official news story here: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/parents-warned-of-active-shooter-near-broadway-and-mineral

He was playing as terrorist, trough.

This is just stupid. I hope they catch the person that called this in and arrest their a$$. What a waste of peoples time and money over this stupid prank.

Not to mention extremely dangerous. People get killed by jumpy SWAT teams.

That’s really the main danger. Those guys bum rush the room and their adrenaline is really jumping because for all they know, there’s an armed killer waiting for them. Guy with a controller? Maybe it’s a gun!

According to the article, they even had fake guns in the room, which is a recipe for disaster in the circumstances.

That’s gotta suck. I mean, think of how many young male gamers (especially ones with a lot of disposable income from streaming and competitive shooter playing) have replica/Airsoft guns or swords laying around.

I will laugh when someone is caught calling in these pranks and successfully charged with a felony. If only they could capture THAT on livestream.

Taking every single caller that seriously doesn’t sound like a sustainable approach in an age of anonymous trolls.

I didn’t realize how prevalent this practice was, but how can they not take these calls seriously? Especially when nearby schools are in potential danger.
-Todd

Yeah, they pretty much have to take them seriously.

Not even close to the same thing, but I work from home and have two dogs that bark at the wind. You better believe I jump up and check every time they start barking, because the day I don’t is the day my car gets ripped off.

I do not think they have much of a choice. If they did not respond to a legitimate call, the civil, criminal and societal repercussions would be enormous. Calls like this are usually able to be traced and the extremely foolish person who made this call will be in a heap of trouble very soon.

See also: http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/24/6063149/hacker-threat-diverts-flight-carrying-sony-online-president

Whoever did that must be very, very sure of their anonymity process, because they are in a for a very bad time if it failed.

Is the practice really so common in the states? The guy looks totally calm and has that “oh not again - third time this week” look upon him.

About the anonymous calls, I’d presume it to be almost impossible to catch the callers. Haven’t you guys seen the wire? Get a cheap mobile phone with a prepaid card, get to a public location with too many people around to nail an individual down even if some video feed would record everything … and you’re basically golden.
Don’t get me wrong, though - I’d love to be wrong in this. People that do such prank calls are obviously idiots and deserve some significant punishment/fine.

rezaf

<P&R Troll>
He knows the police aren’t really going to shoot him. He’s white, after all.
</P&R Troll>

Did you see that appalling framerate? How is that even remotely playable for a competitive shooter?

He did everything right, the instant he figured out the situation he raised his hands and he was fully compliant. Sharp guy.

Same basic thing happened to Switfy at least twice. Was also caught on his stream, and he was actually taken down to the station since he was accused of making threats against someone with a knife I believe. Was several months ago.

Good thing he was on headphones. I can only imagine what would happen if the swat team was hearing loud gunfire sounds coming from the room, or even worse, if “you have the bomb” had been audible.

Lucky guy. That’s not always enough to ensure your survival.