This is why my girlfriend is awesome

Yes, and also the cockpit part detached and it became its own self-contained fighter. Awesome.

I was in Radio Shack this morning and they had these sweet little raptor robots and I thought of this thread. Had I got one when I was a boy it would have certinally appeared on a list like this.

The raptor came with its own controller, but even better it had motion sensors in its head, so if you moved within two feet of him, he cocked his head and sniffed the air. Very cool.

And that’s the trouble with being old and jaded. I had the Roboraptor for testing and got bored real quick (not as quick as the kids I tested it on, though).
It really does nothing interesting with it’s sensors, it has a voice more suited for an asthmatic mouse robot than a dinosaur and it can’t walk for shit… it has a ‘hunting mode’ which means it will stalk menacing around your house at glacierspeed, turn towards sounds and " roar" with a menacing sound, that wouldn’t scare a poodle.

That toy, made in 1979, could fetch you drinks… no contest.
I was 9 in '79, so I can just conclude, that we didn’t have them over here.
My first brush with robotics/programming was this fellow

One of my friends in highschool did programming work (theft protection) for the local school district and scored one of these. Fun… for a while.
He now has a Ph.d in robotics and builds industry robot, so something good did come of it… allthough he never built me one, that fetches drinks.

Come to think of it, I wish my Roomba spoke logo.

The Starbird also had a turret toward the rear, and two little “winglets” that detached . . . presumably for defence. And it made some cool sounds when you fired the laser.

Oh, and there was this:

I wonder why the Interceptor docks with a VHS tape?

You did, it just was a different color.

Ooooh. My neighbor had that…He had every toy… his dad was a lawyer, while mine was a high school teacher, so I coveted all his phat loot.

I’d go over to his house and play with that spaceship for hours. HOURS i tell you!

One of my favorite electronic toy/games of all time was Dark Tower… Man I was in AWE of that game when I first received it for xmas

Dark Tower Flash game, in case you haven’t come across it yet. Turn your volume down!

Unless you’re being a purist, I’m pretty sure you can get a merlin brand new these days in some type of retro-puzzle-gaming comeback. Check KBToys.com.

I do wish I know where my “I Took a Lickin’ From A Chicken” was, though.

(It was basically a Merlin, except there was an animatronic chicken in a plastic bubble and it was more the size of those old mini-pinball games. The chicken would animate and cluck and otherwise play against you instead of the nameless, faceless opponent in Merlin.)

OMG, that Dark Tower flash game just gave me a geekgasm. Almost as good as having the real thing.

Me too. Here’s an awesome site to take you back down the memory hole:

http://well-of-souls.com/tower/index.html

I never had a Starbird, but I had a pile of Micronauts stuff that was similar. Anyone else into Micronauts in the 70s? I wish I still had all mine. Had something like three huge boxes, including the BattleCruiser which fired these big rubber mallet thingies and had sections that split off. Plus the HyrdroCopter, this huge monorail base called the StrataStation, Giant Acroyear, the magnetic Baron Karza figure, etc.

Anyone remember the Microvision? First cartridge-based handheld game system. I think. 1980 or thereabouts. Still have mine and three games. All toy nostalgic this time of year, so I just dug it out of the closet and snapped this pic. Damn thing takes two 9-volt batteries, though, so no Block Buster for me till I get to a department store and pick some up. Some of the games hold up, too. Or did when I last dug the system out when we lost power for four days during the ice storm back in 1998.

Okay, this is getting too much. I am in danger of dying of nostaliga here. Please stop before someone posts a picture of that Pac-Man clone (Munchman?) that was round and yellow and looked like a little Pac-Man with joysticks and a screen.

Fuck, too late!

Cool! I’ve never even heard of those things before. I did always want one of those little arcade cabinet Pac-Man games, though. I had a cousin with the Pac-Man and the Galaxian. Same cousin who had the Death Star, too. Bitch.

Hey I had one of those! They rocked some socks!

I have been accused of bashing Nintendo, but my rich friend had this:

I borrowed it for a week and beat his record, so he let me keep it - it was teh awesome. Now it’s gone…

Are you kidding me, Brett? That Battlecruiser was like the Holy Grail of toys back then.

I wish I still had all mine. Had something like three huge boxes, including the BattleCruiser which fired these big rubber mallet thingies and had sections that split off. Plus the HyrdroCopter, this huge monorail base called the StrataStation, Giant Acroyear, the magnetic Baron Karza figure, etc.

:( Man, go you. My buddy had the Stratastation, that thing was a pisser to put together with those fruity flimsy hinge pieces, and my cuz had that Battlecruiser. I wouldn’t even play with that thing, I’d just fucking stare at it in awe. I had Biotron, though! He was great, until the two pieces that formed each leg stopped sticking together.

My God. BigTrak. Awesome. Starbird. Awesome. AT-AT. Awesome. Had them all. We weren’t rich, though. I had a rich Aunt and Uncle. Also on the list of all time greats was:

The Rancor monster (this is on my washing machine right now):

Construx, which next to LEGOs, is the best construction toy ever:

The GI Joe Moray Eel:

Oh, and Voltron, the only toy I ever saved up for by mowing lawns and bought for myself:

Though a friend had these, which I was always jealous of:
Linked to so it doesn’t crush this guy’s bandwidth

Ok, I have to post twice. Did anyone know anyone that had the USS Flagg? That looked like the coolest toy ever, but only .001% of America at the time was rich enough and had enough room to buy it for their kids. I’ve never seen it in person, only on nostalgia sites.