This one hurts...RIP Fred Willard

This is a real bummer, but as has been noted one of the best riffers and improvisers that showed up in Guest’s movies, he must have had the fastest crazy mind. Weird side note, I was certain for the longest time that he played Herb Tarlek on WKRP, only somewhat recently figured out my mistake catching a rerun. So I’m not sure exactly when I first encountered Willard’s work, but I always enjoyed watching him.

Same here. Great stuff. RIP

I was first introduced to him with DC Follies and more recently he was in one of my favorite television scenes of all time. I don’t recall literally laughing so hard at a TV show during this scene.

Was this his first mocumentary?

Here it is on YouTube

Me too! It was probably Spinal Tap, but at some point I just started recognizing him, and I always perked up when he appeared. I usually find cringy, irritating characters more irritating than entertaining, but he was a striking exception.

No, he had a small but hilarious scene in Spinal Tap. RIP. He always cracked me up.

I had NO idea he was that old. Damn, this sucks.

Damn, what an outstanding actor with so many great roles. I’m sad that he passed away. Rest in Peace.

So good and sly and subversive.

Indeed. I was pretty young for satire and so the show did not really click for me, but Willard had a relatability that rose above whatever material he was working with. Such a shame to see the years claiming people I admired growing up.

One of my favorite Fred Willard scenes: Blowing Up Nature

He was so wonderful.

As a kid I was so confused by Fernwood Tonight. I didn’t realize it was a mock version of traditional late night talk shows, and kept wondering why they were allowed to act and say the things they were.

I didn’t realize he was 86. RIP.

He seemed like from another era (part of his schtick or act, I guess) yet was never uncomfortable/awkward around the younger crowd.

I watched Best In Show with my kids last night. They were lukewarm on the whole thing until Fred Willard shows up, and then they kept cracking up.