This seems like kind of a big deal wrt ASUS

My MSI z170a lasted just fine for 5 years, and probably still works just great. I’ve had issues with both MSI and Gigabyte in the past. The ASRock Taichi has been working well for the past couple of years since I upgraded to my AMD 5900x system.

I had a Gigabyte motherboard that lasted over a decade with no issues. I think it’s just a matter of following consumer reports and not being a day one adopter. There is no brand that stands out anymore. I wish EVGA made AM5 motherboards…

Isn’t that the truth? Never had an issue with EVGA stuff, those who did were always made whole, and nary a blemish on their reputation as a whole.

To be clear in regards to the motherboard issue, I’m not arguing the system problems are entirely on the head of ASUS. Their boards weren’t the only ones to have issues; crap happens and especially with new hardware gens. Rather, it’s how they’ve reacted which is awful and enough to make me think twice about buying a product from them in the future.

Absolutely. Their reputation has been torched. They’ll be dealing with the consequences for years to come.

They have removed the disclaimer on the bios pages saying that warranty gets avoided if you use a beta bios. So all this shaming has achieved some positive change at least! (Not that this disclaimer would have worked in any country with decent consumer protections)

Over the past 25 years I’ve had exactly 2 GPUs die and both of them were EVGA. The first one died within a month and its replacement died after 2 years. I swore I’d never get anything again from EVGA.

Yeah, but did they replace them with no hassle? EVGA & BFG were both known for customer service.

The first time it was handled by the PC builder. The second one I replaced with another brand.

I had to RMA an EVGA 8800 GT back in the day (that was a heck of a card)-- the transaction went off without a hitch, and they sent me back a properly working card, but it ran hotter than the one I’d sent in.

My current card is an EVGA 3060 Ti which hasn’t given me any problems. My previous one was also an EVGA, a 1080, which may have been dying for about the last 1.5 years of its over 5 year useful life-- when coming back from sleep it would often fail to make the hardware handshake with DisplayPort and would only do so if I hit the computer’s reset button for a split second (don’t ask me how that didn’t reboot my PC, because it didn’t).

I’m on my 3rd EVGA card in a row now without issue. 1070, 2080, and 3070. I wish they were still making gpu.

Are they not making them at all, or just not making Nvidia-based GPUs?

They’re totally out of the GPU business. It’s always possible they’ll return in the future, but the margins aren’t there for them, anymore.

EVGA completely shuttered their GPU division. A lot of people were hopeful they might manufacture for AMD or even Intel, but they’ve already shed most of their knowledge and talent. It’s possible those pairings would make for equally toxic business arrangements anyway.

Heh, understandable, given Nvidia’s bonkers pricing these days. Is Team Red doing the same?

I haven’t heard the same rumors of complaints about AMD, so Nvidia seems to be taking the lead in squeezing their board partners. This isn’t to paint AMD as the good guys, just as the “not quite as aggressively profit-driven” company.

It isn’t altruism. AMD is on the bottom (on GPUs), which limits their ability to be dicks.

Exactly

Credit where it is due, this is fantastic:

I think this is the first time that a company has put in writing that EXPO/XMP profiles and beta bioses will not in any way impact your manufacturer’s warranty anywhere in the world?

With the pile on on ASUS, I thought the other boardmakers were being unfairly untargeted given their similar malpractices, but focusing on a single company has really brought the goods!

The Asus pile-on was warranted given the exceptional negligence and customer service failure, even compared to the other manufacturers. This is a much needed about face for them. It’s damage control under intense media pressure, not voluntary customer service. It’s a good thing, but it should be kept in perspective.