This Year's Best FPS?

In what is, IMO, the best year for FPS’s since the 97/98, what was everyone’s favorite? I think I’ve added all the big ones, and yes, I know Halo 2 is a console game, and United Offensive is an expansion pack, but decided to throw them in there anyway.

My pick is Far Cry.

Painkiller.

Half-Life 2. I’d go with Painkiller for second. It would have been a close second if I hadn’t been hit with a terrible bug that prevented me from loading my saves near the end of the game. I never got to finish the damn thing.

I voted Halo 2, but CoD: UO comes a close second. I liked Half-Life 2 a lot, and it had a much better single-player, but the replay value is so limited. But I’m sure over time that will change.

This is a problem. Whenever I vote for an FPS, I’m always just voting for the single player game, since I couldn’t care less about multiplayer. Others apparently vote on the basis of multiplayer or both. So what are we voting on here?

Based on single player, I give the nod to HL2.

Half Life 2 was a great FPS experience. Although now that I finished the game, nearly a week ago, and it was so linear, there’s simply no reason to revisit it. Fun for a few days at least.

Yeah, thats my exact problem. With both Halo 2 and CoD: UO, theres multiplayer that offers up a ton of replay value. I know HL2 is going to have tons of mods and add-ons, but its not really the same thing. I really wish there was some sort of multiplayer component in Half-Life 2, CS excluded.

Yeah, thats my exact problem. With both Halo 2 and CoD: UO, theres multiplayer that offers up a ton of replay value. I know HL2 is going to have tons of mods and add-ons, but its not really the same thing. I really wish there was some sort of multiplayer component in Half-Life 2, CS excluded.[/quote]

Same here. I cant think of a game more deserving of DM. God it would be fun to use that gravity gun in DM.

Painkiller + HL2 = tie

You omitted Unreal Tournament 2004. How can this be? :wink:

Actually, omitting UT2004 and Battlefield Vietnam is a pretty good slip-up considering they both shipped on the same day. :)

HL2 is my pick and UT2004 would have been my #2 choice. It simply sets the standard for a polished multiplayer shooter with a ton of variety and excellent support from both the developers and community.

Where is the “Fuck FPSs” option?

An shouldn’t the plural still be FPS? or RBI?

Multiplayer factor hands it to Halo 2.

Thief?

Aw HAIL no!

Wow. No love for Pacific Assault at all. How the mighty have fallen…

I’d like to give an honorable mention to Joint Operations.

Yeah, I think people are getting tired of the overly scripted shooters, as well as World War 2 games in general.

Half-Life 2.

Honorable mention goes to Tribes: Vengeance.

oh my, and look at this: http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&archive=yes&id=358

Seriously though, come on, Half-life 2.