This Year's Must-Have List

I’m curious what everyone thinks the must-have’s have been for each console so far this year? And what the upcoming titles to have will be for each.

I guess I’m just throwing fuel on the never ending console debate. To me, so far, this year has seemed really good for the Xbox. Gaming on GCN has seemed desolate. And since I don’t have a PS2 I don’t know, but I can’t think of any game that has generated a large amount of buzz. So what are your picks so far?

So far?

Viewtiful Joe, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter and Disgaea for $5.

You are seriously a gigantic idiot if you don’t buy those now - assuming you don’t have them already.

Other than that, there aren’t really any console games released so far that I’d recommend unconditionally.

Disgaea, but not La Pucelle?

Is La Pucelle $5 already? Woah. Anyway, I haven’t played it as it’s not out here yet. Disgaea only made it here a little less than a month ago. Note: I haven’t taken advantage of those prices, because they’re not offered in my country, but anybody who can should.

Is La Pucelle $5 already? Woah. Anyway, I haven’t played it as it’s not out here yet. Disgaea only made it here a little less than a month ago. Note: I haven’t taken advantage of those prices, because they’re not offered in my country, but anybody who can should.[/quote]

Oh, no, not at all - but the original question was “must have titles”, not must have bargain bin finds. Surely La Pucelle qualifies as a must have?

Not sure what to say concerning must-have titles so far this year. I’ve really been enjoying Metal Slug 3 on the Xbox, great game!

As far as upcoming titles, I’m so out of the loop when it comes to most games these days is sad, ugh. I’m looking forward to ESPN Football 2K5 because I’m a cheap bastard, and like the series.

Uhmm. I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m looking forward to Outlaw Golf 2, the original really was fun, even if there was a serious lack of courses.

I saw mention of a new Robotech game, and since I’m a sucker for Robotech stuff.

Pretty much everything else I’m looking forward to is indie stuff on the pc because it’s all I really follow. I am excited to see what everyone suggests though!

It isn’t exactly this year, but Marvel Vs Capcom 2 has to be the most entertaining fighter I’ve ever played. And I general dislike fighters. A little bit ago it got released on the Xbox and the PS2, and damn - I don’t own either of those systems but seriously consider buying them just to get my MvC2 jones on.

Friends and I used to joke about who would win in a fight - iceman or wolverine. When we found out both were selectable characters our eyes lit up like a neon sign hung atop the doorstep of a gentlemans club.

So far for me the best console games I have played this year would be:

Riddick and Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox and Front Mission 4 on the PS2. Nothing on the Gamecube or GBA, but I dont buy many games for either. For the PC (beyond the scope of the thread I know, but I cant help myself) it has to be the WoW beta even though I have cooled on it lately.

As for what is coming…that is always a tough call. Stuff is hyped so goddamn much these days, I find myself getting disappointed more frequently with releases that I follow closely during their hype phases. I mean damn, its out of hand. Why do we see preview pieces on the McQuaid MMO that is looking at a 2006? release? How long have we heard about Project Ego/Fable? Marketing dudes: stop please. The three games I mentioned as being great this year were all things that I personally had read very little about up until a month or so before their release. That being said, stuff I am excited about would be:

Xbox
Fable. Big asterisk about this one though. PM having anything to do with it and the way its scope seems to shrink each time I read a piece on the game are both setting alarm bells off in my head.

Jade Empire Cant wait for this one. I loved KOTOR and this looks to improve on everything I enjoyed about it all around. I havent been following it though, because of the reasons I mentioned earlier.

PS2
SMT:Nocturne. I am a sucker for RPGs as long as they arent done in the big head/big eye little kid style and this one sounds like it has a fairly unique setting/premise.

Cube/GBA. Nothing. I just havent been able to get into these platforms lately. The cube never, and the GBA while being a cool as hell little gizmo, didnt hook me on anything but Fire Emblem. I am gonna try out some of those GBA cartoon carts they have now, anyone have any experience with them? At $20 they seem kind of pricey for what you get, but I think they would be invaluable in soothing my 2 year old daughter when she gets antsy on long car trips. I would buy any turn based Fire Emblem games for either platform, if there is one in production.

PC
WoW
KOTOR 2. Just like Jade Empire, cant wait for this one. The gameplay in KOTOR reminded me a lot of BG2, and the combat felt much more tactical than did NWN, which I did not like. KOTOR2 strikes me as basically KOTOR with a different story. Bring it.
Pirates!

All in all the year has been fairly disappointing for me. If I had to pick a GOTY, it would be FM4.

olaf

My favorite titles this year (from a strategy/RPG perspective):

XBox:
Chronicles of Riddick
…and not much else. My Xbox has remained pretty silent since KotOR. I should probably pick up Full Spectrum Warrior, but our consoles have been ceded to my stepson for the summer.

PS/2
Front Mission 4
La Pucelle
Onimusha 3 (was that this year?)

PC
UT2k4-Assault alone is worth it.
Battlefield:Vietnam-jury is still out on this one…needs a patch and some new life injected already.
Doom III
Half Life II
Warhammer 40k- fun so far- mostly basic RTS with some stuff stolen from WC III and Rise of Nations- and the BEST combat animations and voice work in an RTS ever.
World of Warcraft
Strange Adventures in Infinate Space II
Sadly-I’m not seeing any RPG’s or other genres I really want to play.

PS2-GTA 7 or whatever Rockstar are my I’ll throw money at you forever developer.
Spiderman 2- my dream has come true…I AM Spiderman.
Burnout III
ESPN NFL 2k5-Maybe Bethel Johnson of the Patriots will actually be a black guy this year.
Madden SE- play old Madden games on my PS2? Cool!, Look out world the HB Toss Left is back.
THUG 2- I know nothing about skateboarding, but Tony Hawk U. has become one of my favorite games of all time.

:!: Didn’t know about that.

PC:
Thief 3

XBox:
Spiderman 2 and Riddick

PS2:
Driv3r is pretty cool so far and I actually liked Van Helsing a lot

GCN:
I honestly haven’t played it much lately. I bought my wife Harvest Moon: It’s a Wonderful Life! and she hasn’t played it much though she’s a huge fan of Friends of Mineral Town.

-Cleve

A little sports game love here…

My EA Sports Bio points out that I have dumped over 10 days worth of playing into only two of their games - Fight Night 2004 and NBA Live 2004. That doesn’t surprise me because I (not to mention every one of my friends who doesn’t hate sports games) am hopelessly ADDICTED to these two titles.

PS2 - Only must have is Front Mission 4

GC - Only must have is Pokemon Colosseum

Xbox - Haven’t turned this on since KOTOR was finished. Not sure it still works.

Looking forward to Madden 2005 for the PC.

Quatoria’s post about Way of the Samurai 2 for the PS2 has me wondering if I’m missing something good.

Is La Pucelle $5 already? Woah. Anyway, I haven’t played it as it’s not out here yet. Disgaea only made it here a little less than a month ago. Note: I haven’t taken advantage of those prices, because they’re not offered in my country, but anybody who can should.[/quote]

Oh, no, not at all - but the original question was “must have titles”, not must have bargain bin finds. Surely La Pucelle qualifies as a must have?[/quote]

It was also “of this year,” and all of the games he mentioned were from last year.

For my part, I don’t think I’ve played a must-have console game this year yet.

PC Only

Thief Deadly Shadows
Kotor 2

Have not bought anything else as I am still playing Kotor, NWN and BG2 :)

KOTOR 2 should be out in Feb 2005 IIRC.

As far as Xbox, I’m having Tons o’ Fun with Spiderman 2. It helps to have liked GTA3 and the Tony Hawk games, though. If those didn’t grab you, this one might not either. At the very least, I recommend renting it.

PC only

Doom 3
HL2
Bloodlines
EQ2
Tribes: Vengeance
Freedom Force 2
Knights Over Europe