Thor 4, or, What We Do In Space... Shadows

Ugh. That looks terrible. It’s like they turned Ragnarok up to eleven or something, and I really hated Ragnarok, it is like #3 on my all-time favorite movies list.

Hold on, I might have gotten all that mixed up in my head. It’s possible that I am so excited for this movie that I am failing to put together cogent sentences.

That ride you took me on sucked. Or was amazing. My head hurts.

Speculation based on reading the comics arc that this draws a lot from, but it’ll be pretty wacky if this movie gives another connection point between MCU and the Tom Hardy Venom movies.

Yup, yup. All of this.

When I watched this trailer on my phone I didn’t realize Thor has Loki tattoos on his back.

Also the internet is very invested in whether that shot of Thor apparently nude from behind will be uncensored in the film. I can’t imagine the movie would actually keep the censored mosaic, but I’m also still not convinced Disney is ready for nudity in an MCU film, maybe he’ll have on skimpy briefs or something? A digitally added thong? I already regret the time I’ve spent considering this!

Honestly tonally the pixelated blur fits well and could be hilarious.

Yeah, maybe Zeus (ironically) runs a stuffy, puritan pantheon, and the nudity would be a funny way to drive that home.

In that vein, having the blur be a magical effect for decency’s sake would also be delightful.

This is now my official headcannon

It was not the trailer I was expecting, but I liked some of it.

In a surprising turn of events, it will turn out Thor is wearing a chastity belt.

Thor and Chris Hemsworth are probably the least offensive butt they can show in an Avengers/Disney film. All women want him and all men want to be him. Very much Bradd Pitt in Troy vibes.

Honestly though the odds are that his butt, if any, will be just as much cgi as Hulk’s butt was in Thor 3. I mean, his body was too painfully beautiful in the trailer. It was making it’s own god rays - they aren’t shooting for realism.

So they are all nevernudes under their Toga’s? They aren’t leaving a whole lot for your imagination to begin with so puritan seems a bit contradictory…I like it!

And now I’ve spent too much time thinking about this :)

That was funnier than I expected!

For those of you who don’t know, “deck” and “dick” sounds incredibly similar in a New Zealand accent. So Taika literally has a funny accent.

Well that was definitely a Taiki Waititi movie! Take that however you like, it’s probably accurate either way.

I think he works better when he can take someone else’s script and add his Taika touch on top of it. But with this one, it’s like he’s a master cake decorator frosting a cake…but he also baked the cake, and it’s also made of frosting. Sometimes it’s just too much.

I’m not saying this is the worst Marvel movie (and it definitely improved over the runtime!)…but as I watched it, I genuinely considered whether or not it’s the worst one.

In retrospect, this pre-Covid optimism about release dates seems so quaint!

Well that sounds terrible.

This was fine. Taika cranks the silliness up to 11…and then keeps going.

Broad spoilers about character development are blurred but there’s still nothing too specific about the specific events of the movie in this post.

Some of that works—I laughed every single time those goats yelled. Korg is always great. Valkyrie is always awesome (though I guess not especially silly, comparatively). But even a lot of what works just feels lifted straight from Ragnarok: the bombastic classic rock, the slow-mo heroic lightning leap, and even the wildly stylized desaturated look used in those flashbacks to the Valkyrie battle in Ragnarok gets recycled. It still looks awesome, but it’s just weird to see all of this repeated.

The number one problem is Thor himself. Taiki played up his charming overconfidence and reckless foolishness in Ragnarok and it worked, but there was also progress and he ends the film feeling like a more well adjusted hero. Then Infinity War and Endgame put him through the wringer but in a way that built on Ragnarok, and he came out of that an even more mature character. Love and Thunder mostly tosses that out and resets him as an arrogant buffoon.

I came out of Ragnarok wanting to blast Led Zeppelin on the drive home. I came out of Love and Thunder hoping I don’t hear Guns & Roses again for at least a month.

That’s very specifically because of how they overuse that music, but it also feels like a pretty accurate analogy for how I feel about Taika Waititi right now.