Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

It’s curious you claim the character was “mentally deficient”. I don’t think anyone else got that impression, and for good reason. The guy who voiced the character, who not coincidentally is also director Taika Waititi, is Maori (half-Maori, I think).

Yeah, I agree the criticism rings hollow. Mentally deficient? Absolutely not. Resigned, yes. World weary and sarcastic, who has embraced futility.

I thought he was fun.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but given that this is doing gangbusters globally and comes in at 92% at Rotten Tomatoes, I’m quite sure a negative opinion is in the small minority. Sure it’s not perfect, but this movie was a fun ride and a huge leap over the previous two Thors.

Are you talking about Korg?

The fighting slaves were generally portrayed as pretty stupid. A specific scene that comes to mind, is where they freed Loki by accident and then he told them they were in need of a leader. This was them a) bunglingly freeing Loki and then b) being too dumb to recognise being taken advantage of by Loki. Mentally deficient is spot on, given a pattern of this sort of thing.

So because some of the other fighters were dumb, then that means he was, despite no clear evidence this was true. Got it.

I don’t buy it. I’d have to watch the movie again, but generally I left with the impression that he was well spoken, and probably of above average intelligence.

There are opinions, and there are wrong opinions. The bold part is when I realized we were well into the latter and I could safely ignore this post and any follow up.

This was almost the perfect fun popcorn movie for me. Had everything except some deaths were cheap and unearned as well as there not being enough Cate.

Wasn’t she awesome? I would put her pretty high up on the list of movie Marvel villains.

Complete agree. Love that they kept the Kirby headdress too.

I didn’t get to see this movie until January and it was losing me early for being just too over the top (when he was spinning on the chain in the conversation with Surtur, etc.), but I thought it really came together in the end and I’d rank it high on the list of Marvel movies - in part because it went new places and was different - it’s easy to dismiss that direction as aping Guardians of the Galaxy, but it’s consistent with the Kirby/Lee galaxy exploring days and it was good to see Hulk/Dr Strange again.

What I’m bored of in Marvel movies are the stories where the hero just fights a villain with mirror image powers: Ant-man, Captain America 1, Iron Man 1, and it seems
Black Panther. After so many movies, the best ones lately have been the marvel movies that weren’t afraid to take chances and opened up interesting aspects of the shared universe that haven’t been explored (something Black Panther also looks to do).

It’s not that Thor 2 was a terrible movie (although it was dull and bland), but likely nobody in the audience was looking forward to seeing the “dark elves” on screen - we want to see characters and recognizable aspects of the Marvel universe - at least Thor 1 introduced us to Asgard. Assgard lol.

The best thing about Cosmic Marvel is that even in the books it’s all so strange and wacky and you never really know where it’s going. It lends itself to what they’ve done on the screen so well. I mean, think about Dormammu in Dr. Strange and how he’s portrayed. That may as well be the pages of the comics, but it’s right up there on screen in what I thought was a really great effects sequence.

I still have to pinch myself when these movies arrive. When I was a kid it seemed so obvious to just lift the stories right out of the books and put them on screen. That there were other guys and girls like me who have decided to actually do it gets me excited to see each one.

They were indistinguishable from a Star Trek villain. Not Marvel-y at all.

Exactly. Just because that character speaks like a bro/Maori doesn’t mean he is dumb. To conclude that he(it?) is dumb only fits into the stereotype of Maori men. That reveals more about the prejudice of the person expressing the criticism than about the character itself.

Anyway, finally watched it on retail, and IMO it is pretty crap as a Thor movie. The humour is so out of place, especially with Thor being so quippy (is that a word?), without any narrative explanation on the sudden change. Thor throughout the Avengers and his own movies is usually unintentionally funny, not lol funny. And everything is all CGI to death, and most of the imaginary is not interesting any more. The evil and majestic Cate Blanchett made up for it though.

I’m not saying I wasn’t entertained, but IMO they butchered Thor as a character in order to make this a popular movie.

I enjoyed the movie but I know what you are talking of. Parts of the movie just seemed too slapstick for me. It was almost to abrupt a change.

That was my one major complaint, the last 20 minutes or so got too dark compared to the rest of the film. Way too tonally incongruent. Even the rock character had to chime in about Asgard’s foundation right before it exploded. Not amusing.

Lesser complaint is that the prison planet section should’ve had about 15 minutes cut from it. Just dragged on for too long after the big fight.

(before you ask, no, that’s not an actual caption)

Love that scene, though I wanted the sound mixing to make the song louder.

So do people think Thor will get a new Mjolnir/hammer now or does he pummel people with his fists, Thunder & Lightning?

The hammer is his penis.

Indeed.

(Mildly NSFW)