Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Sadly this is something that’s been spoiled already by toys and merchandise, so if you don’t know yet, avoid, uh, stores!

It’s already well-trod ground in the comics, though. The last time Thor lost his hammer for a while, he just picked up his next-favorite weapon and kept on doing his thing.

Ah ok. I suppose like anything in the comics, nothing stays dead or destroyed.

I recall Thor saying Mjolnir granted him the power of flight in addition to the coming when called/must be worthy business. I’d assume picking up another weapon wouldn’t have those abilities. Guess he got Tony Stark to 3D print him one at some point.

If anyone can make a new weapon that can pull Thor off, it’s Tony Stark.

I believe that at one point, Thor’s “flight” worked by throwing his hammer so hard that it drags him along, and then holding onto the strap.

With power inflation, it’s probably been replaced by normal flight now.

Fantastic popcorn movie and one of my favorite marvel theater experiences yet.

Not every superhero movie needs to be The Dark Knight.

Wasn’t that actually made-fun-of in Ragnorok? I have a vague memory of Thor trying to explain his flight to someone and them looking at him incredulously.

And like most other stuff related to the hammer, Ragnorok says “the magic was in him all along!”

“Also, my hammer allows me to fly!”
“You mean you ride on the hammer??”
“No…”
“You mean the hammer rides on your back??”
“No. You see, I throw the hammer, and it pulls me off th…”
“Your hammer pulls you off!??”

Can we please replace all planned marvel movies with a 12-film series of Korg one-shots?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIAp8atjuTs

DO NOT WANT

If you’re not watching Movies with Mikey, you should be!

Why Thor Ragnarok Is the Perfect Reboot - Movies with Mikey

We reuse plastic grocery bags (the smaller ones with the built in handles) as trash can liners for our home.

I took one that was full of garbage and before taking it to the main trash can, tied it up and swung it around while blaring Immigrant Song, running around the house screaming, “I am Trash Bag Thor!”

My kids didn’t think it was nearly as funny as I did.

As part of my kids and I going through the Marvel movies, we’ve reached Thor Ragnarok. As we all know, this is easily one of the very best Marvel movies. Such a shame that Asgard got interesting just when it was destroyed.

Fortunately I was able to make it so my kids got completely surprised by the appearance of a certain strongman, which is the way Taika Waititi clearly set up the movie. It was pure awesomeness seeing their reaction. I’m still mad at Marvel’s promotional material spoiling that for me. It’s literally better seeing this movie now than it was in the theater.

Its a friend from work!

Thor Ragnarok was the only Thor movie I saw in theaters. I had so little interest in the other ones. They walked a line with that promotional material because… well it got me in the door, but yeah it spoiled.

Same. I’d skipped both of the previous Thor films, but that trailer got me to buy a ticket.

Because that’s what heros do.

WHAM

I’m also in the camp of wishing that I had been surprised, and I agree that the movie itself takes great pains to not spoil the surprise. Then again, Ruffalo is such a big part of the film that I don’t know how they would keep that a secret during the regular press junket. Like the Spider-Man reveal in Civil War, it’s pretty hard to keep things secret these days.

I recall people openly mentioning Hulk long before he was confirmed as being in it simply due to the fact the film appeared to have some sort of gladiator planet that was similar to Planet Hulk. Even with just a few shots of Thor in what could have been (at the time) gladiator-like armor/clothing the rumors were pretty rampant that there was a least a small Planet Hulk-like arc that took place. I assume that they thought that eventually it would come out since Hulk was such a huge part of the film so why not capitalize on him? And this was after Winter Soldier where Marvel had already made it pretty clear that solo films could easily be thought of as team films (Black Widow in WS’s case) so anticipation of Hulk made even more sense. That said, a Hulk surprise would have been nice.