Those Wacky Pompeiians

Pieces of “graffiti” from Pompeii

Some good ones:

• Restitutus says: “Restituta, take off your tunic, please, and show us your hairy privates”.
  • Theophilus, don’t perform oral sex on girls against the city wall like a dog
  • May Love burn in some lonely mountains whoever wants to rape my girl friend!
  • I don’t want to sell my husband, not for all the gold in the world
  • The one who buggers a fire burns his penis

Are these for real? It’s on a university prof’s personal website with references to the Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum which is real. Anyone have a clue? Dr. Troy?

It’s good to know that when you see stuff like “For a good time, call XXX-XXXX” scrawled on a bathroom wall, there’s really thousands of years of precedent behind it.

Oh man this so cool to know, especially if it’s true.

They are for real. They were in part the inspriation for some of the sets in HBO series Rome.

II.2.3 (Bar of Athictus; right of the door); 8442: I screwed the barmaid

Ah, man. Her thumb was in my soup.

I.10.4 (exterior of the House of Menander); 8304: Satura was here on September 3rd

I laughed a lot at this one.

VIII.1 (above a bench outside the Marine Gate); 1751: If anyone sits here, let him read this first of all: if anyone wants a screw, he should look for Attice; she costs 4 sestertii.

On April 19th, I made bread.

An odd thing to write on a wall…

The Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum is an essential resource for any serious scholar of ancient Rome. Lots of fun stuff in there.

Troy

.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

I guess homosexuality wasn’t really viewed in the same light.

Hence God smiting those hedonistic Pompeiians.

My college Latin prof showed us slides from one of her trip to some ruins. The bathroom graffiti was mostly advice on taking quality craps & not stinking the place up. Cacare will probably be the last latin verb I forget.

Damn I guess “here I sit broken hearted, came to shit but only farted!” hadn’t been invented yet.

2569: Kosher garum

Nice – Kosher rotten fish?