Those who celebrate Thanksgiving. Anyone do a main course that isn’t Turkey?

It definitely works to cook it correctly, but I would still rather eat a chicken. But really just go for a ham for all holidays.

All courses in one is the easiest way to do Thanksgiving.

That’s the thing. It’s the one time a year we do cook a turkey, so it’s fun. And the leftovers are good.

This year it’s just the two of us so we are doing a small turkey, dressing, a tiny amount of mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, and some broccoli.

Cranberry sauce is canned, the dressing is Pepperbridge Farm boxed that we will gussie up a bit with some Italian sausage, onions, and apple bits, and canned gravy. We hope it’s relatively stress-free.

We used to be 7 of us for holidays but now it is just 3. But the thing is roast turkey and the extras are still great for days be and we look forward to that. And yea, it is only twice a year, although I will occasionally grill a turkey breast off season.

Spatchcocking is the way, and the answer.

Much faster too.

I’m suing them for defamation

When my husband and I moved to Seattle (away from family and friends) and couldn’t travel home for the holidays, I’d make Thanksgiving dinner for just the two of us. It seemed silly to get a giant turkey for just us (even though we like turkey), so I’d usually get a pair of cornish hens and cook those with all the other regular Thanksgiving sides.

I bought a turkey breast for this year (rather than a whole turkey), since even though we’re back east, it’s just us for Thanksgiving this year.

My guesses:

Stuffing
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Milk Chocolate
White Chocolate
Dark Chocolate
Pistachio Salad
Pumpkin Pie
Prepared Live Turducken

It is somehow not very eggy (maybe because it’s wrapped in phyllo.) I hate eggs and normally can’t stand quiche, but I like spanikopita.

As a vegetarian, Thanksgiving usually means some kind of tofurky roast. For the last couple of years though, I’ve eschewed the whole “spend all day cooking” thing and just ordered a pizza and that’s been great.

Whoa… wait a second. I just looked this up to see if I could make it and there’s no meat?! I thought the whole thing was some kind of minced up meat and gravy! I have to be honest - the ingredients list looks awful! Hahaha

Traditional recipes do have minced beef or venison, but most modern ones just have currants and apples spiced and aged in brandy. Beef suet is still used as a binding agent, though you can use vegetable shortening instead.

Yeah, ‘quiche’ probably not a great analogy. There’s usually just enough egg to give structure or it will just be a wet spinach pie. I have also described Moussaka as basically Shepherd’s Pie, so maybe I am just bad at foodanalogyizing.

I’ve had this several times when the wife and I were vegetarian. I rather liked it.

There are multiple solutions for this problem. I still use the Alton Brown heat shield method.

@jpinard If you want to do turkey meat, but less traditional, I made a fantastic Turkish-style turkey meatloaf last week that was really tasty, made excellent leftovers/sandwiches, and was easy to pull together. (We eat a fair amount of ground turkey during the year, but only do the full bird once a year.)

[I replace the green bell pepper with yellow/orange/red instead, but that’s personal preference.]

Funny thing is I always avoided it because I thought it was english version of a meat pie and that didn’t appeal. But what this turned out to be was quite tasty, all I can say is you should try one before passing final judgement. ;)

Mince pies are a Christmas thing here. But as a dessert/snack, not a meal.

I think we’ve always done turkey for Thanksgiving, but we do sometimes mix it up for Christmas - I remember having goose and pheasant and venison.

We did pho.

!!

What time should I arrive, and what should I bring?

FiII9D9WQAMczjL

We ordered takeout and it was for Canadian Thanksgiving.

sadf