Three Moves Ahead Episode 37 - AI War: Fleet Command

That sort of makes it worse, not better. At $20 a pop, 10k copies is $200,000. And he didn’t get $20 a pop for all of them since I know it’s been on sale on Impulse for a bit less, plus there’s the Impulse cut for sales that way. I wonder if $200,000 even covers the total development cost. It can’t cover it by much if it does unless he got quite a bit of donated time from anyone that helped out.

If AI Wars has done well for an indie game then prospects for indie developers doesn’t seem very healthy :(.

But, unlike AAA titles, he can reasonably expect to keep selling at some level for years yet.

Especially as he appears to be following the Valve model of lots of free post-release DLC. He clearly intends to have a long tail.

Lengthy interview I did with AI War developer Chris Parks on AI War and Arcengames
http://blog.theclawproject.net/?p=77

Thanks Spelk and Chris, that was interesting and informative! Chris seems to really think things through and to be able to communicate his thoughts in a way that is seen far too seldom. I expect many great things from his company over the coming years.

woah! to make an indie game costs you 200k? this shit is different from putting out records i guess.

3 guys, 1 year of work. Not sure how many people actually worked on it or for how long, but Chris didn’t do it all himself since he’s mentioned artwork and such. Even if you had no material costs, you’re only making 66k a year each in salary. For a self employed person, that’s not particularly good (no vacation, no healthcare, no holidays, nothing).

Add in material costs like any advertising, coding tools, systems, etc, and the picture gets gloomier.

Okay finally got to the part where he talked about the current numbers. Nevermind.

Wow, I love this Decade feature at Flash of Steel. Right up my alley given the old classics I’m working through in my backlog.