Through the Ages (iOS and Android) by Vlaada Chvátil

The expansion is now out. A full set of new leaders and wonders, plus a few other cards.

Now also available on GOG (incl. the expansion pack):

https://www.gog.com/game/through_the_ages

Nice, thanks for highlighting that!

Also worth noting about this expansion:

NEWS:
We put a lot of effort into making the expansion wholesome and complete. Once you purchase the expansion and connect it with your online account, you can play it on any platform and device on which you have the base game – just log in .

The base game is also on sale right now for 40% off on Steam ($9.59), GOG ($9.59) and the Google Play store ($5.99).

And features:

Kojima is jealous because he couldn’t get Liz Taylor in Death Stranding.

Yea, but they both got Mads Mikkelsen.

In addition to playing with expansion cards, you can choose to play with or without rebalanced base cards.

Base game is $5.99 in the App Store in iOS too.

So does their explanation mean - you buy the base game everywhere you want to play but you only have to buy the expansions once?

This is how it reads to me.

I got one out of three of my wishes: Cleopatra! But the expansion has a much higher ratio of women to men than the original, and that’s super cool.

Would anyone be interested in a casual 4 player tourney to celebrate the expansion? Casual meaning a new game starts each week, so mainly we’d each be in just one game at a time. And just like four total games or so. And then some kind of playoff.

Interested!

Me too! I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy this game.

Also interested, but I’m about to go on holiday for a week so I might not be as responsive as would be ideal.

This would take a week to organize and start, and then probably six weeks to finish. Slow pace!

I would be interested, but one of the design “features” of Through the Ages is that you’ll often have players stuck playing a game it’s clear they’re going to lose, and there’s still a whole lotta game to go. That’s one of the reasons I like the digital version so much. When I’m playing against the AI, I’m not letting anyone down when I throw in the towel.

-Tom

I think that the rules even admit to this issue, and try to patch it over by saying that there’s more honor in resigning than in sticking to a hopeless game. Sounds like possibly an admission to a design flaw. But everything else is so well designed that I’m okay with resigning from the occasional game. My guess and hope is that we are all close enough in (lack of) skill that it won’t happen much!

It’s also in the tutorial, IIRC.

Not sure I’d call this a design flaw, though. In most competitive games it sooner or later becomes obviously how the chips are going to fall, so…

True!

Still interested!

–Kelly Wand, and me