Through the Ages tournament

And I made the second one. This is the first game I’ve made, let me know if any of the settings are wrong.

Ok, the last game I made I failed to make private, and so a bunch of random people joined. It was fun though! So fun that I kind of forget about my responsibilities to the tournament. Until now that is. The final game is up and running and the invites are out.

There seems to be much less time pressure in this tournament than in the game frame game!

And it’s much more fun as well

The game 4 I’m in is almost done, and I realise I should have reported game 3’s scores:

Player Score
porousnapkin 274
rho21 264
Thraeg 185
justaguy2 113

Close one!

What happened to @justaguy2 ? Did he start in 4th? ;)

I started in 4th that game. Ashoka works really well for 3rd or 4th in turn order. I think Confucius would be better late also, due to getting to Age 1 cards closer to their first turn and their ability to put them to use.

I never take Ashoka because I have no clue what his ability is, and I also believe that if someone explained it to me, I’d think it was stupid.

But damn do I think all the other abilities are so perfect for each leader. The creativity in the design of the leaders is fantastic. Like Mandela, whose ability hinges on transitioning from discontent population to a happy one. I love that one so much.

Sacrificed entire army to win a colony while defending against a War over Culture from porousnapkin. The game would have been a lot closer without that, I think I win by 3 points or something.

Starting positions were the reverse of finishing positions in that game.

Starting fourth is no laughing matter! Starting Fourth Syndrome (SFS) afflicts one in four Americans, and leads to conditions like not being able to attack other people (they’ve always had 1 more turn than you in which to build up their military) and suffering from unfairly bad luck (every time an event gets evaluated, your opponents have had one more turn to build up their stats than you). It also makes leaders like Confucius less useful IMO, since to use their ability you have to choose to evaluate an event, but because of your turn order you don’t want events to be evaluated. I made this mistake in my third game; I picked Confucius and then realized that “wait, I actually don’t want any of these events to fire”.

Nostradamus can help control the symptoms of SFS but is not a complete cure.

Somebody using Google Translate in Japanese yesterday taught me that Nostradamus was but Nostrad 1 according to proto-skynet.

I love it! You get extra production for different colored cards in your hand. However, all cards are yellow in Age A, so it’s worthless till you can start getting cards in Age 1. If you’re fourth player, you can usually do that on the same turn (or the turn after) you get Ashoka. It’s got a really good return, higher than most, I think, but with the offset that you have to be a planner, grabbing cards at least a turn in advance of playing them (which, frankly, I don’t think is much of an offset).

I can’t tell how much you guys complaining about turn order are serious, but I disagree it’s an issue. 4th player gets more turns with more useful cards because they start playing much farther into the deck. They can compete because their card access is better. You might have a harder time doing an early aggression, but those are so rarely viable anyways. Frankly, I prefer going 3rd the most, since it’s usually a really good starting draft (with 3 pips you can often get two good cards or 3 decent cards), plus you get to the better cards sooner.

Somehow I have 35 ore in one of our games, yet am facing only 2 corruption.

Game 4 complete.

Player Score
rho21 290
Dave_Perkins 218
justaguy2 199
Chappers 185

A solid military and a bunch of operas is tough to keep up with! Nice job.

Mussolini thought the same

Ok, game 3 has concluded:

All credit for this win goes to Darwin, who proved himself adept at both love and war. But mostly war.

Thanks for organizing the tournament @Dave_Perkins I slightly know what I’m doing for ages I & II now.