Throw aside your prejudices against orcs and dark elves in Dungeons & Dragons

I was throwing away my racial prejudice with Viconia in Baldur’s Gate 2 before it was cool

What about gnolls?

Gnolls are pretty straight up evil.

But only from your perspective.

Gnolls are the composters of the bipedal kingdom.

Let me tell you something about fictional races: they’re all the same in the dark. Know what I mean?

Once you go ilithid, you never go back?

I don’t know but I’ve been told, mind flayer pussy’s mighty cold

The half-elves in Tolkien aren’t sterile, but that have to choose between being human and being an elf. Uruk-hai were a cross between orcs and humans, but were manufactured(?). Not clear if orcs breed in the traditional sense.

I think a lot of this is people being overly sensitive. Taking the evil out of orcs in d&d just seems weird to me.

Now if your looking for a good example of an offensive portrayal of orc culture, you should check out Bright, on Netflix.

Bright is just offensive to any fan of cyberpunk.

Or movies in general.

I enjoyed Bright. 😤

Since she’s all the rage on the forum lately, I’ll leave some more Ellis here. I’ll spare you embedding the video, though.

If I watch that video will it try to sabotage my enjoyment of Bright?

How about Onward?

Yes. Although, mediocre stuff can still be fun, so it might not.

See, I already know it’s mediocre. I don’t need a 45 minute youtube video to tell me about the movie’s failures because I’m already aware of them. But despite such failures I can enjoy wholly mediocre things, which is why I still dig St. Anger so much.

Thank you for sharing the video though. I do also get enjoyment from movie dissections like Mr. Plinkett’s.

The Lindsay Ellis video isn’t actually about how the movie sucks as a movie, although that stuff does get covered. The real meat of the video is more about this topic and how Bright uses the racial coding of orcs = black and how that can be an issue in all media.

Me too - it was all my Shadowrun dreams come true in a movie - pretty damn awesome!

I also enjoyed bright.