Thrustmaster! Give me my drivers!

I’m trying to play the NFS2: Hot Pursuit demo, but I can’t download the drivers from Thrustmaster.com.

Yesterday, only their FTP site seemed down. Today, the whole kit-n-kaboodle seems hosed.

GIVE ME MY NASCAR CHARGER DRIVERS THRUSTMASTER!

If GameSpot complete had driver downloads I’d subscribe right now. I take back everything I said about companies hosting their own files. Let somebody else host them.

Update:

I got desperate so I tried the drivers that came with the wheel (pretty clever, I know!)

And they work! Who would’ve guessed?!

Anyway, I’m still mad but at least I have a working wheel. Lot of effor to go through for the NFS2: HP demo though. There’s one race and two cars.

Hmmmph.

So now I’m mad at Thrustmaster and EA.

You’ll be even madder after playing that POS.

I was finally able to download the Nascar Charger drivers today. Server still seems shaky though. Whatever.

wumpus, I did play the demo, and it was 1 race and not very interesting.

I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a POS though.

Anybody have a suggest for a good racing game that isn’t too realistic (despite the name of the peripheral, I’m totally disinterested in realistic racing.)

NFS: Porsche Unleashed is the best in the series, without question… still very good even by today’s standards. You should be able to get it out of the bargain bin for a song.

I also love Colin McRae Rally 2.0 to death, but you may find that “too serious”, although it’s a far cry from a Papyrus sim.

Porsche Unleashed was an amazing title. Right up there with Gran Turismo 2. I really wish they’d do an update on it. Maybe a Ferrari version?

Porsche Unleashed is definitely the best Need for Speed game. I kind of like Hot Pursuit 2 when I’m not cursing the sadistic Hot Pursuit mode, where the cops can drive at supersonic speeds and corner on a dime.

I really dug Viper Racing as a bridge between sim and arcade, though I think I’m alone in liking the game. I thought they really got the modeling and control right there, though the graphics weren’t that special. It also had a full, Gran Tourismo-style upgrade kind of thing, though it was all based around the Viper.

I really dug Viper Racing as a bridge between sim and arcade, though I think I’m alone in liking the game. I thought they really got the modeling and control right there, though the graphics weren’t that special. It also had a full, Gran Tourismo-style upgrade kind of thing, though it was all based around the Viper

I love Viper Racing. I still keep it installed. Monster Games really pulled a rabbit out of a hat with that one. There are so few games that strike that balance between sim and arcade like that one did. Its only flaw was the low number of circuits. Having just the Viper was fine.

Wonder when that … oh yeah… 1998, the year of the PC game. 1998 is still, hands down IMO, the best year in PC gaming.

–Dave

Picked up NFS: Porsche Unleashed today. Looks like loads of fun so far!

Thanks for the tipoff.