Tiger King? More like Elephant Emperor! Let's play John Company

Nevermind, I misread my funds, I don’t believe that I have any available options.

Now ex-chairman Benyon remains a pauper, so nothing for me.

Sorry, I was unclear. Director of trade is (was) me, I was responding to this:

And yes, I do need to score. I was hoping to convince Sykes to try to reconquer Madras for a share of the profits, so that I could afford to get within spitting distance of the lead from this retirement. Not to be, sadly.

Also sadly, I don’t believe my executive can become editor of a newspaper, so it will have to be £4 for a second investment bank.

Yes, I’m the sole shareholder in the company now, not @rho21

Yes, I will embezzle.

Since one of my executives was forcibly retired prior to the bailout, does he need to pay +2?

If not, I would like to purchase another investment bank. Thanks!

No, he gets immediately removed and isn’t allowed to score at all. So you only have one retirement at the moment

I’ve got you down as having enough for an Investment Bank if you like, but if not that’s fine too!

All of those retirements having been disposed of,

EVENTS IN INDIA:3

MADRAS: 2,3 No Effect

PUNJAB: 3, flips to Prosperous

MARATHA: 3, REVOLT

@Kolbex, do you wish to put down the revolt? If it succeeds, your office is eliminated and you can score at $+2. Otherwise, you can hold out and hope you retire naturally so you can afford a better prize.

The reason I might not want to try holding out is because I might not retire at all, right? My track record with retirement has not been stellar (i.e. it has eluded me most of the time). I think I do not want to hold out, if I have correctly grasped the situation.

I will take one then please. Sorry I failed to pickup this game as well as I was hoping.

There’s a lot going on and the rules are not as clear as they could be, I think.

There is, and I apologize if I haven’t been helpful, I’ve never attempted to teach a game to people that I can’t see before.

The only retirements are @lantz as Director of Ships Purchasing and @kolbex as the ousted Maratha Resident (+2 prize cost.) I’m assuming Lantz isn’t borrowing money from someone to buy a prize.

Also, to everyone, LAST CALL TO PURCHASE OR EXCHANGE PRIZES BEFORE SCORING.

I suppose I will take Domestic Newspaper. Ignominous.

@Matt_W and @Kolbex, do you want to repurchase your prize cubes?

I don’t…know what that means. Where in the rules is this? I should have 0 lbs left, right?

I would like to buy back my promises from Sykes, if that’s what you mean. I was just waiting for attrition to end.

Quite right, I forgot to take off the +2 “bonus” cost. You are at zero.

@Matt_W Done!

So promises are interesting. There’s no reason to ever pay them back before final scoring unless you need a cube. They’re much more about getting precedence in promotion.

I’ve been reading Charles Mann’s 1493, in which he goes into great detail about the limited stock partnership known as The Virginia Company, that founded Jamestown. Sounds a lot like the way the BIC is run in this game but with a whole other set of external and economic forces. It would also make a great boardgame.

Wait, promise cubes? I see one on Walsh, but 13 days ago in post #600 I said I wanted to buy that back. I guess that never happened?