Timberborn (Lumberpunk Beaver City Builder)

EA release in 2 days, with a goal of early access for a year.

Another city builder? Yes please! Please be good.

On the other hand… A year in early access… No!

This looks good. I hope it turns out well.

I have been quivering with anticipation ever since the playing demo during a Steam demopalooza a while back.

Based on that experience, it was already good, so fingers crossed for excellent by the time they hit 1.0.

Possible future in game transport option:

giphy

Is that a hyrax

This makes me sad, I googled beaver gifs (totally safe to google that btw), and am now disappointed.

Beavers have tails, dawg.

It’s getting rave reviews on Steam so far.

I’ve put some hours into this over the weekend, and holy cow does it have one more click syndrome. There are some really neat mechanics around beavers, water, wind, etc. that I really like. Two things that stand out: Controlling the environment with dams and levees is super important, and water is not a border. You can build paths right through it because… beaver! They are just as fast in the water as out. Also, you build housing and other buildings by stacking them. So this isn’t your typical sprawl city builder. Very interesting so far. Another thing I like is it is very easy to kill off your beavers when you are learning, so it’s not the typical “guaranteed to win” city builder. Sorry this is sporadic, I’m taking 5 minutes to type and going back in!

Haha, that sums up my experience so well. It really did a number on me. I completely lost track of time, and when I wasn’t playing it, I was still constantly thinking about it.

I’ve tried a couple of Banished-likes, but they were too close to the original to really be worth playing. Timberborn is the first one I’ve played that actually takes it and runs with it.

And it has one of my favorite qualities in a builder, which is that it’s really satisfying to watch too. I LOVE the technology in this game.

I also found that because the beavers are so cute, even though I don’t know their names or anything, I still feel horrible letting them die. I would sometimes risk a whole colony, just to save a few of those little varmints. It was dangerously close to X-Com-level attachment.

I can’t wait to see what they come up with going forward. I hope they add some more tribes!

Looks like mechanized beavers are on the way.

I’m surprised JMJ hasn’t been in here.

I wonder what wood his posts say? :D

For the lore fans:

You can now wash your beaver!

Thank you, I just had it stuffed!