Timberborn (Lumberpunk Beaver City Builder)

I think this has been my favorite city sim in 2022 by far. I might be at the point though where I’m waiting for release. I know I love it, and I don’t want to burn out on it before it is feature complete. Has anyone played with the golem stuff yet?

Oh man. Have you tried Against the Storm? I thought it was pretty dang good but I haven’t tried this one yet.

Oh I like Against the storm, but I fight with it because of the roguelike card system sometimes messing me up, and the lack of manual/tutorial info.

The thing about this game is it is relatively straightforward, but a couple of things stand out to make it a very interesting experience.

The first one is the water cycle. Its kind of like Banished in that you have to deal with seasons, but there are two: Water - no water. And the longer you go, the shorter the wet season, and the longer the dry season.

Another thing that is cool is the verticality. You don’t have to build sprawl like most city sims. In this game you can building on top of each other and make some very interesting stacks. It’s like The Discovery channel meets Ready Player one! =)

There are other nifty things, like beavers are just as fast swimming an underwater path as they are on the land based roads. Your beavers have settlements and outposts that are based from a central building, connected via route to each other which is interesting. Power in this game is all pneumonic which is also a hoot. There are also two races to play with and they play very differently. One is the environment friendly race, and the other is the industrials.

I could go on, but I would def give this a spin. Sounds like it may be in your wheelhouse.

I don’t know what this means, but it sounds cool!

That’s the conclusion I’ve come to. Thanks for posting!

Have they said how close this is to final release? I may want to finally give this a try when I get home.

@jpinard Soon! (Not too soon!)

I want to start this so bad, but don’t want to get burned out before 1.0

Badwater?! Noi jetat!