Time Magazine names top ten games of 2009

At least we know they’re not just recycling press releases.

What a joke! Reminds me of movies where they are showing one move in a chess game. The player/actor always says either “chess” or takes an enemy piece. Same with this times article.

Man, this is just bad. The copy is terrible, factually inaccurate in many spots, and the list is probably just cribbed from what Grossman thinks has been getting hits on the blogs. Maybe.

Time also has lists for the Top 10 Mistresses and Top 10 Sports Terrorism Attacks. I like to imagine a conference room full of Time editors debating the merits of various terrorist attacks. What are the criteria? Do they honor innovation, craftsmanship, or effectiveness?

DJ Hero is #3? Really?

And is there a single title on there that came out in the first half of 2009? They don’t seem to have much of an attention span…

The AP’s list is a bit of an improvement

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jBVuRptrkPx0hxRzlwhp2Kk1z4pgD9CF64TO1

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  2. Assassin’s Creed II
  3. Dragon Age: Origins
  4. Batman: Arkham Asylum
  5. inFamous
  6. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
  7. Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story
  8. Borderlands
  9. Forza Motorsport 3
  10. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

The AP’s list is a bit of an improvement

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jBVuRptrkPx0hxRzlwhp2Kk1z4pgD9CF64TO1

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  2. Assassin’s Creed II
  3. Dragon Age: Origins
  4. Batman: Arkham Asylum
  5. inFamous
  6. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
  7. Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story
  8. Borderlands
  9. Forza Motorsport 3
  10. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

One can disagree with the ordering, but pretty much every game on that list is deserving of being in the top 10.

Their honorable mentions are good too

Honorable Mentions: “Shadow Complex,” “Scribblenauts,” “Professor Layton & the Diabolical Box,” “Demon’s Souls,” “Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor,” “DJ Hero,” “The Beatles: Rock Band,” “Rock Band Unplugged,” “1 vs. 100.”

That’s a surprisingly good list.

Yeah, that’s a good list. My only change would be to replace Infamous with Red Faction Guerrilla, or at least include Red Faction in the honorable mentions. I guess all this generosity towards Infamous is really catching me by surprise. But still, it was a good game. At least they don’t have the atrocious Killzone 2 on the list. Now THAT would start to piss me off.

Yea, lack of Red Faction love makes sad, but I’m not surprised.

My favorite is the top 10 colorful first spouses.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1920803_1920843,00.html

Red Faction Guerrilla is the overlooked hero of 2009.

Yep, still one of my favorite games of the year.

Being able to (semi) realistically destroy buildings really is the coolest feature ever. I could forgive RFG for a lot simply because getting in a walker mech and plowing through a huge office building was so damn fun.

Reading TIME magazine is guaranteed to make you stupider, every time. Just say no.-

She also confessed to eating the sun (“Like this: yum, yum, yum. It gives me enormous energy”) and hanging out with Tom Cruise (in a previous life, when Cruise was apparently Japanese).

The Last Samurai was a great documentary.

I’d missed this tidbit from the end of that list:

Game of the Decade: “Rock Band 2.” Harmonix Music Systems provided an entirely new type of video-game experience with “Guitar Hero,” giving all of us the chance to live out our rock-star dreams. “Rock Band 2” is Harmonix’s fullest realization yet of that ideal — and the one game I keep coming back to whenever I just want to have fun.

The AP’s list made my local paper. Note that none of the games are listed as being available on the pc.

The PC has games now? Who knew!

The quality of their choices and the way they wrote them up pretty much reflects their standards of journalism perfectly.

Even worse than Newsweek.