TimeGate Announces Kings of War!

This is, at least to me, very exciting:

TIMEGATE STUDIOS ANNOUNCES NEW TITLE
KINGS OF WAR
INSPIRED BY THE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED KOHAN SERIES

Sugar Land, TX (May 12, 2003) - TimeGate Studios, Inc. announced today that it is developing KINGS OF WAR, a fantasy real-time strategy game inspired by TimeGate’s critically acclaimed Kohan series.

The first game of the series, Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns, exploded onto the computer gaming scene in 2001, earning acclaim from fans and critics alike. Kohan went on to win over 30 awards, including “Strategy Game of the Year” from the industry’s top media publications.

The original development team behind the Kohan series is now developing an exciting new title that will feature TimeGate’s trademark innovation and depth of gameplay.

KINGS OF WAR immerses players in the world of the Kohan as one of the immortals who lead the fight against an ancient evil that has risen again and is bent on destroying civilization forever. The story unfolds as all-out war plunges the world into chaos.

“We are very excited about this project” says Adel Chaveleh, President of TimeGate Studios. “KINGS OF WAR will offer a gaming experience unlike any other on the market today. This game is beautiful, innovative, and very addictive.”

KINGS OF WAR features a new state-of-the-art 3D graphics engine that delivers a breathtaking world of magical splendor, heroic deeds, and fearsome enemies. With six unique races and five political factions to choose from, players will head into battle with thirteen potential combinations and will watch in amazement as hundreds of units wage war in intense real-time strategy action. KINGS OF WAR offers countless hours of replayability due to its unique multiplayer game types, and adaptive artificial intelligence, amongst other innovative features.

KINGS OF WAR features TimeGate’s ENGAGE technology that is best-known for its flexibility, customization tools, and unique levels of unit control and organization.

KINGS OF WAR is currently scheduled for release mid-2004. For more information, log onto www.timegate.com .

About TimeGate Studios, Inc.
Founded in 1998 by a team of successful businessmen and avid gamers, TimeGate Studios exploded onto the gaming scene with the release of the critically acclaimed Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns. Since its release in 2001, Kohan has won over 30 awards, including the coveted “Strategy Game of the Year” award from top gaming publications. TimeGate’s stellar reputation continues to thrive as it develops AAA, cross-platform titles for several leading publishers in the industry. For more information, visit www.timegate.com.

I hope they’re showing it at E3.

That reminds me of about 500 new cliches to add to that thread, thanks!

Nothing on the site, though, apart from the press release.

“KINGS OF WAR features TimeGate’s ENGAGE technology that is best-known for its flexibility, customization tools, and unique levels of unit control and organization.”

Raise your hand if you’ve ever, ever heard of it?

Well, Mark got his wish. They took Kohan out of the title and went generic. New races probably include ORCS! and ELVES! :roll:

–Dave

“KINGS OF WAR immerses players in the world of the Kohan…”

All they’ve likely done is change the title from Kohan 2 to Kings of War.

Yes, but why? Kohan was developing a following, wasn’t it? Of course, I hated the name Kohan. It sounded like a half dozen other titles. People think that using K to start a word makes it sound more like a name or something, and a fantasy made-up name at that. Q also seems to work for this. Maybe they should have called it Queens of War…

Speaking of which , why don’t you ever hear of games with names like:

Squires of War
Pages of War
Serfs of War
Peasants of War
Pheasants of War
Fuedal Repressors of War
Bishops of War
Clergymen of War
Friars of War
Guilds of War (actually, that’s good)

It’s always Kings and Lords and Heroes and Knights. Give us something new! I want to be a war serf!

For pretty much the same reasons you don’t get WW1 FPSes. A life expectancy measurable in seconds doesn’t make for good gameplay…

Well, except for Iron Storm, natch…

We can call it “Cannon Fodder”.

Oh, wait…

So, this is just Kohan 2? Lame.

I call dibs on playing the uberpeon. I may be a peon, but I’m an uberpeon, dammit! Actually, that’s way too much like real life. :shock:

• Alan

Yes, but why? Kohan was developing a following, wasn’t it? Of course, I hated the name Kohan. It sounded like a half dozen other titles. People think that using K to start a word makes it sound more like a name or something, and a fantasy made-up name at that. Q also seems to work for this. Maybe they should have called it Queens of War…[/quote]

Kohan wasn’t a big seller and then Ahirman’s Gift was a sales disaster the last time I got a peek at NPD numbers – that was about one year ago. The Kohan brand isn’t a strong brand, and the Kohan fans will know that Kings of War is the next Kohan anyway. I don’t think going with a new name hurts them in anyway, and it may help. I agree with you that Kohan is a terrible name.

Timegate didn’t announce a publisher, which I guess means Strategy First dumped them (or vice versa).

Last I heard, Kohan developed a following of about 20K people. That ain’t too great. In fact, given how fantastic the game is, and how so many people whine about how the RTS genre is stuck in a rut, it’s practically a crime.

It is indeed a shame that the Kohan games didn’t receive more of a following, at the very least a more deserved following.

Uh, I still play Kohan everyday, this is excellent news. Can’t wait until more info is unearthed! :)

And all the awards Kohan won illustrate the vast power of the gaming press. The awards really jumpstarted sales!

It is a shame the game didn’t do better.

Yeah, seriously. System Shock 2, though it did better than Kohan at retail, was a similar case. Wildly popular with the press, but mediocre sales (probably a result of EA’s non-existent marketing campaign).

". I don’t think going with a new name hurts them in anyway, and it may help. I agree with you that Kohan is a terrible name. "

Kings of War is the absolute pits though. At least Kohan sounds vaguely distinctive, even with the K-kicking k-kuh of k-kliche.

“Kohan wasn’t a big seller and then Ahirman’s Gift was a sales disaster the last time I got a peek at NPD numbers – that was about one year ago.”

It bombed over here too, AFAIR.

Yeah, this was a post on Gone Gold a few months ago from an Associate Product Manager at Strategy First on why they won’t be publishing Kohan 2:

Timegate wanted money.

Lots of it.

They have a big publisher now with a lot of money. I am not going to name who because it hasn’t been announced and it would be over stepping my bounds.

Meow…