Timesplitters 2 - embarrassed

Got this for gamecube. Having mega problems clearing level … 1. on normal.

I suck.

Umm, so why aren’t you playing on Easy? I believe that’s why the difficulty levels exist… to change the difficulty. I finished the game on Easy and don’t really feel my manlihood threatened because I didn’t play on Normal.

Actually, Christoph, the single players levels are substantially different when you play on Normal. The Easy setting just puts you through a sort of abbreviated version of each level.

JT, one thing to remember is that you don’t have to play it like a PC first person shooter. You’ll do okay if you just try to center your target on the screen and let the auto-aim help you out. Also, keep in mind that hitting a bot in Timesplitters causes a pain animation so they can’t shoot back. If you spend your time trying to line up headshots, you’re just going to frustrate yourself (note that you don’t have to use headshots on zombies; fire enough ammo at them and they’ll go down no matter where you hit them).

-Tom

Yeah, all kinds of things are missing – cameras, objectives, baddies, etc. Like a different game. I finished the first two missions on Easy without ever being threatened.

I get to the top of the dam every time – to the turrets. and then I die. Usually I get stuck trying to get off the gun and get to the next one, she gets stuck and I can’t get her moving. hideously frustrating. A checkpoint right before that would have made all the difference.

Burnout 2 is fun though. Picked that up as well. It’s … fast.

From what I remember you don’t need to get to the other one. Just kill off the bad guys as they show up, then drop the chopper.

One hint though, don’t use the standard control set. The blunt top of the yellow stick is hideously hard to use when trying to line up any kind of vertical shots. It takes afew minutes to get used to it, but you’re better off switching the analog sticks.

My bad, I didn’t realize that the levels made such a difference. I actually died a couple of times on the first Easy mission while I was getting used to the game, though, so I suck even worse than you. :)

My bad, I didn’t realize that the levels made such a difference. I actually died a couple of times on the first Easy mission while I was getting used to the game, though, so I suck even worse than you. :)[/quote]

Really? Let’s play multiplayer. Kidding.

Play on normal, then throw those remote mines onto the guns in the first level. Watch them blow up and (whoops) destroy the computer in the room. “Objective: Restore Power Failed. Retry Mission.” That was so fun.

But the best thing about Timesplitters 2 is that the missions aren’t the whole game.

If you get frustrated you can hop over to the arcade mode, and do a little freestyle blasting on ducks and gingerbread men.

It really is the game that keeps on giving…

I agree that it’s a really well done game,but the aiming system bugs me even more than Halo’s does,for some reason.My kingdom for a mouse…

I agree that it’s a really well done game,but the aiming system bugs me even more than Halo’s does,for some reason.

My big problem with it is the first half of the 2nd thumbstick’s motion is “look” and the other half is actually “turn”.
Plus, the look is a “hold-to-look” which I find very frustrating since it makes lining up sniping shots unnecessarily difficult.
It’s a shame since there’s so much content in the game. The “waves of zombies” minigame is my favorite feature :D

The aiming system in TS2 is uneccesarily difficult. Why they put the free form aim mechanism in is beyond me. It doesn’t help at all. Here is a thought for console FPS developers: Go play Halo, make the controls like that.

– Xaroc

JT real quick tip for the helicopter thing that it took me a bit to realize: you aren’t aiminf for the helicopter. You are aiming for the rocket launchers underneath it’s ‘wings’, you’ll see a green square around them. THOSE are what you want to blow up.
Plus you really don’t need to move to a different turret, just grab the one by the door and every once and awhile sweep the gun around to check for those two guys.

I’m proud to say that I’ve beaten this game on ‘Hard’. And gotten at least gold on everything. :) Apparently I’m the man. I’ll be auditioning for the part of ‘Chico’ later this month.

Umm, if you’re ‘the man’, why are you auditioning for the part of Chico? :)

IIRC, the controls in Timesplitters can be configured however you like them. Unfortunately, I agree about the freelook not holding. Very annoying that it returns to the center like that.

But on the whole, I would say this is the definitive FPS on a console system and the true heir to Goldeneye. It’s a tough call, but I’d say it barely edges out Halo because of the amount of content: weapons, multiplayer games, bots, game modes, customization, etc.

-Tom

But on the whole, I would say this is the definitive FPS on a console system and the true heir to Goldeneye. It’s a tough call, but I’d say it barely edges out Halo because of the amount of content: weapons, multiplayer games, bots, game modes, customization, etc.

Did you guys hear that sound? It’s the sound of someone flushing their credibility down the toilet!

I played the TimeSplitters 2 demo, and it was indeed impressive. For a Quake engine game circa 1997. There’s just no question in my mind that it was in every conceivable way inferior to Goldeneye and Halo-- both of which I completed over two years ago.

Maybe there’s something truly incredible in the full game that somehow, against all odds, changes this. Is there a free crack pipe in every TimeSplitters 2 DVD case? Because I gotta say, I’m not feeling the magic on this one. At all.

Did you guys hear that sound? It’s the sound of someone flushing their credibility down the toilet!

We’ve heard quite enough of that flushing sound coming from you, Wumpus.

So, if you were 6 back then, I guess that makes you 8 now…

Goldeneye and Halo, at the time they were released, easily bested any comparable FPS game on the PC. That’s how you measure watermark console titles.

TimeSplitters 2 isn’t even in the same ballpark as Vietcong, for example. It’s a mildly amusing brainless console shooter-- with all the typical console shooter problems, but none of the actual innovation in Halo or Goldeneye. The only thing embarrassing about this thread is Timesplitters 2.

I guess it all depends how low you want to set your standards. So, fuck yeah Tom, it’s the best goddamn FPS game ever released. Ever!

It’s actually funny to read this post when keeping in mind that wumpus has never actually played TS2. It’s funny in that kinda sad way, like watching Memento and seeing all those people play Memory Man. Poor, poor Wumpus. Find a pen!!

And Tom, I located and destroyed your audition tape for the part of ‘Chico’, no SAG for you this year.

wumpus has never actually played TS2

That’s kind of his M.O. Get him started on Sacrifice sometime. He’ll rail against it 'till the cows come home, but he somehow fails to mention that he was never able to get past the second mission.

BTW, I blame Kevin Perry for getting me into Timesplitters 2. One night at Shoot Club, he was talking about how much potential the original TS had. The next day, I picked up TS2 as an impulse buy. It really is nice to see what a console developer can do with an FPS, but it’s hardly surprising considering these are the guys who did Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

I’m still stuck on the Atom Smasher mission, but I’ve unlocked almost all the gameplay content and I still play botmatches occasionally. Sometimes, I can even persuade the guys at Shoot Club to try a bit of split screen action, particularly when all the computers are full and they’re sick of Burnout 2.

BTW, my favorite thing at E3 this year was the Halo 2 demo. I think I’m a console FPS junkie.

-Tom

Yeah TS2 is the ultimate ‘playset’ game, even the levels are more like playsets than actual levels. Some of the things are absolutely inspired, like the ‘Monkey Assistant’ mode or the ‘Assault’ levels (though there really should have been more). It’s also got this magical ‘tough without seeming impossible’ quality that is extremely hard to explain that so few games get right.
Still, I’ll curse them for no ‘invincible’, ‘all weapons’, or ‘invisible’ mode till my dying day, or another game that they get it right in. ‘Goldeneye’ had perfect cheats, why’d they have to change it?

Let me know what you’re stuck on, I liked the Atom Smasher.