Tips, tricks, and suggestions for the novice Red Dead Redemption 2 cowboy

If you’re driving a wagon, you can back up by pushing RB (for PS4.) This drove me crazy until I looked it up. I’m curious to know if it’s possible to hook a horse back up to a wagon if it gets loose.

I got curious about this yesterday. I’d already done a mission two days ago where I met a person who will buy any stolen wagons from me. So yesterday I saw this Wagon on the side of the road that had clearly been robbed. There was a man slumped over dead in the driver seat, and there was a dead woman nearby. I was wondering if there was a way to hook up my horse to this wagon so that I could then turn it in to the guy who buys stolen wagons from you.

… and? Could you? Don’t leave us hanging like this!!!

I had a treasure map location to look for, I couldn’t dilly dally. Sorry. :)

You bastard! ;-)

Oh for pete’s sake. Well thanks for the info anyway, I won’t keep chasing this fish without looking for the right lure first.

Are there no throwing knives in this game? I haven’t happened upon any so far in Chapter 2.

Eventually. :)

And tomahawks!

The weird thing is, I upgraded the ammo stash in the camp to include throwing knives, but it says I can’t pick up any more as if I had any.

BTW I finally got the fishing mission but I’m obviously missing something because no matter how much I work the reel, the fish never gets any closer. I see the reel animating in a counterclockwise motion but I guess you have to do it at “15 year old on meth” speed maybe?

I did a sidequest yesterday (chapter 6) that involved fishing out legendary pike. It was like 10 minutes of wiggling the right analog stick clockwise, but I suceeded.

I think this mechanic, while perhaps meant well, isn’t thought through - I felt like if I would want to fish out all these fishes, I would go through several dead dualshocks.

At least the cutscene after that properly conveyed how exhausting it was :)

By the way.

Has anyone actually found the collectible stuff?

In estimated 120 hours of playing, I found:

1 dinosaur bone
1 dreamcatcher
0 cave paintings
0 rare exotics

Everytime I think I found something, it is nothing. For example I scaled some large mountains yesterday, saw large bones. Immediately thought “yay, more dinosaur bones!” only to see that they are bones of some giant.

There’s your problem. It’s clockwise. Took me a while to figure that out too…

Check your inventory wheel, its usually where the lasso is, just cycle thru them. Knives should be in there.

I’ve randomly stumbled across just a few things here and there, but I also have the guide book and I can comfortably say that it would be impossible to realistically complete any collection without using a guide. Maaaaybe a few decks of cards if you are lucky with the random draws from premium cigarettes.

Some of the dinosaur bones are literally white bumps on top of mountains (or sticking out of a canyon wall) that look like every other rock. In places where you wouldn’t ever just realistically stumble on them. Same with rock carvings.

The dream catchers effectively blend in with the trees as well to the point that I have to spam the “detective search” to find the yellow outline even when the book leads me to the exact spot.

I appreciate the guidebook just to show me where all the interesting “sketchable” locations are in the game. So many interesting things out in the world that you’d likely never see without the guide. In some cases interesting people too.

Hmm. That’s a bit annoying. I resolved to let go of my inner completionist and ignore these fetchquests (frankly, game would be better without them/with them in much smaller quantity), so I am “only” doing every single legit mission/sidequest I find. But still, I wanted to at least attempt them.

And yeah I forgot about the cigarette cards. I feel like I found million of them and yet I do not have a single collection. Most I am at is 8/12.

funny thing is that there was one of the rock carvings right near the giant bones.

Thanks for the clue! I haven’t found a single rock carving and was getting a little discouraged. I don’t spend a bunch of time looking for them but if I think of it I’ll pop eagle eye whenever I’m near a cliff or any sizable outcroppings. No luck, thus far.

I had some initial success with the dinosaur bones. I think I managed to find 3 or 4 locations. I’ve been focusing more on hunting and crafting satchels lately but a pure exploration session sounds in order!

I don’t believe there are any dupes of cigarette cards out there - you pick up a pack of premium cigarettes and you’re going to get a card you don’t have. I guess theoretically you could go buy a hundred or so packs from the general store and you’d have them all. Ha ha, but who would do such a thing? Not me, that’s for sure.

I think you are wrong, I have plenty of duplicates. Or had, since I sold them to a fence.

If I’m wrong, then my game has a bug. I am definitely defying the laws of probability.