Titan Quest

This is absolutely awesome. I’m a TQ superfan and I think it’s far superior to the muddy Grim Dawn.
I thought I’d give a bit of background to those who maybe haven’t been following:

Upon TQs original release it was pirated almost immediately (us usual) but the pirates had not removed a copy protection check that occurred 30 mins into the game. When this check kicked in it caused the game to crash. This led (incorrectly) to strong word of mouth that the game was unstable/unplayable and sales subsequently tanked. If it wasn’t for this series of events I believe it could have been a minor hit.

Fast forward a whole bunch of years and TQ has become a cult classic with a thriving community. TQ goes bankrupt and a whole bunch of their IP is bought by Nordic Games (now TQ Nordic). Nordic have been awesome and after an impressive development cycle re-released TQ as the Anniversary Edition, polished for modern systems and with a raft of bug fixes and a whole bunch of new monsters to fight.

This new expansion is the culmination of that effort, adding an entirely new act. Supposedly as big, if not bigger than the original expansion The Immortal Throne. A new mastery and a level cap increase.

EDIT: Here’s a tip for those of you trying TQ Anniversary or the new expansion. Try playing with the game speed options. It speeds up the entire game and makes it dramatically more fun (in my opinion).

Waiting until I hear something good about this expansion.

Wearing pants isn’t worth it on its own? Sheesh! Tough crowd.

Right now it’s at 97% on Steam, but mostly “OMG, they made a DLC!” reviews.

Yeah, the real reviews seem to be saying the expansion is more like a shoddy mod.

Coming to XB1, PS4, and Switch next year

I can’t find reviews that say that. Most have been slightly positive.

Considering how much the game was updated even before the DLC dropped, I’m definitely grabbing it the next time it goes on sale (under $10 will be an immediate buy, $15, a probable buy).

Really?

I bet it does really well on Switch.

Ok, that’s kind of cool. After I played the anniversary edition and finished it, and confirmed that I still don’t like the game, I thought I was done with it forever.

But this changes things. Maybe Titan Quest with a controller could be cool.

Holy shit. This is going to sell like hotcakes on the Switch. Every single time there’s a “What game do you want ported to the Switch” thread on the subreddit, the number one answer every time is Diablo.

I’m guessing the devs were at least partially aware of that when they considered the move to console.

Still, a ten-year-old not-SUPER-popular ARPG is a weird choice to bring to consoles. I’m glad it’s happening, though!

It’s a fantastic game that looked gorgeous for its time-- the visuals will show up really well on the 720p Switch display.

Oddly, this does not include the latest expansion.

What is the Notepad for? I don’t remember there being too many things I had to remember in the game, where I would need to take notes. But maybe that’s because I didn’t take notes.

Absolutely zero notes to be taken in TQ. It’s just another piece of schwag.

I assume the newest expansion will be DLC.

For many years, I’ve always envisioned using my laptop to play light games during my commute or on a plane. That never happens though since the form factor just doesn’t play nicely with it - difficult if not impossible to use a mouse, bulky to carry a controller, uncomfortable to use a trackpad, and I generally don’t have laptops with a dGPU anyway.

The Switch has actually realized all those things I used to think I’d do with laptops.

I play games on my Switch all the time, everywhere. Titan Quest on Switch is going to be f’n incredible!

I found a couple which did, back when it came out. Yeah, they’re still mostly positive reviews, but this doesn’t seem like a revelatory expansion from what people have said; largely more of the same, and there’s nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I’ll get it when it’s on a decent sale and probably enjoy the living daylights out of it.

1- This is all crazy!
2- This is all awesome!

Seriously loved this game when it came out and will totally get it again on a console. Has anything like this ever happened? All the “game resurrections” I can think of are ports of long old games (like SNES stuff or whatnot.) I can’t think of another instance of a moderately-old game getting an X-Pack and then getting ported to modern systems.

Chris Woods

Well, there is Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology.

I was pleasantly surprised to recently discover that Path Of Exile was released on the consoles this past summer. I guess that sort of counts…though it’s not that old but still, 4 years after release. Similar type of game to TQ,too.

Guess the success of Diablo is paving the way for more similar games.

I wonder if they’ll add off-line co-op to TQ.

I’ve replayed the old stuff and just got into the Ragnarok content. My first take it stays true to old TQ, but lacks a bit of fit and finish. One thing annoys the hell out of me though. They constant mix up Gaelic and Gaul. People on the Danube have an Irish accent, apparently, as does the Nordic princess who points you northward from Greece.