Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

Agreed on that. Titanfall players are dedicated and all the maps being free down the road guarantees a nice long tail.

I’m hoping a paid DLC is a single player add-on campaign. :)

I just wrapped up the campaign, my first experience with the Titanfall franchise. I really enjoyed it! But:

1. You guys are overhyping the hell out of it. This game borrowed a lot of great tricks from a lot of great games, but it’s hardly revolutionary. It’s just fun and borrows well.

2. I wish the guns were more memorable, but like Call of Duty, they’re all just a blur of indistinguishable variations.

3. I thought playing the campaign would teach me the mechanics for multiplayer, but what I played wasn’t anything like what multiplayer sounds like in the descriptions. I thought there was some kind of grappling hook, and I expected some pilot v. titan action in the single player, neither of which made an appearance. This isn’t a complaint or anything, just not what I expected. Looking forward to diving in to the multiplayer and seeing where my expectations went wrong.

Anyway, two thumbs up on the campaign, fun from start to finish, lots of cool gimmicks, doesn’t overstay its welcome.

Not available on my network :(

[Quote=Patch Notes]My friends thank you all for playing the crap outta our game and providing lots of great feedback. We’ve got a new update that’s currently live. Here are the details:

Map Hack: Rebalanced Map Hack so that player locations will now pulse instead of always on. We’ll continue to look into this boost and will modify it further if it continues to cause frustration.

Titan Balancing: * Rebalanced Legion. * Rebalanced Tone.

Due to player feedback we’ve tweaked the balancing on both of these Titans. We’ll continue to watch player feedback and address as needed.

Pilot Changes: Anti-Titan and Grenadier weapons once again restore ammo when embarking into your Titan. Rebalanced Amped LMGs.

Last Titan Standing: Fixed an issue with bad start spawns on Exoplanet. Fixed an issue that was causing round 1 to start while people were still connecting.

Menus: Fixed an issue with camos that would result in players not being able to clear the “NEW” message.

Last but not least…You can now play Private Match Solo!

Shoutout to the amazing folks on the dev team for hustling on this. They are wizards.

Enjoy and keep the feedback coming.

The reason why we are not giving you folks specific details on the balancing is because we want you to just play and feel it out and let us know if it works.

Telling you numbers and details could color your expectations before you play and then you’re going into the game with a set perception. I’ve heard of all kinds of ideas of how to balance Legion and Tone for example and if we tweaked something that wasn’t what you wanted, you’re going in already thinking we did the wrong thing. We want you to go in with open mind and feel it out. You guys know were all about feel.

Let’s try this out for now and see how it works.

Thanks all for the support! [/quote]

This is now live (on Xbox at least, dunno about other platforms). Currently runnig a solo private match. Now I just need AI pilots and titans.

I think I’m done with this one for now. I got my money’s worth, but now that I’m out of the newb honeymoon phase and have played MP enough to unlock everything important and get a better look at all its systems in play, certain issues have become sticking points for me that I don’t see getting past unless they make some pretty drastic changes; none of which I demand or expect of them. These issues are just personal opinions from my end, and not a true objective look at the game from an unbiased perspective.

I absolutely can not get past the problems rampant stealth, sonar, maphack, jack-of-all weapons, and low TTK bring to the table. The game does so many things better than TF1, but at the same time a combination of bad map design and incongruous pilot abilities thoroughly encourage a certain style of play that works as a direct counter to what it is that makes ultra-mobility shooters like this such a draw for me. When approached correctly, the game rewards camping, stealth, and idleness (all bunk) in ways the original only barely provided a platform for.

And unlike the first TF, parkour is actually a major detriment here. Thanks to map design coupled with certain weapons that offer instant lethality at nearly any range or situation, except for the simple task of scaling an obstacle, wall, or building, travelling anywhere within line of sight of at enemy is a showstopper… regardless of range, speed, or trajectory. But I’m not upset I can die while traversing the map, just that it’s such a downer that the constant payoff for skilled parkour/speedy map traversal too often amounts to suicide-by-orange-team; unless you go out of your way to abandon the battle for a time and stick to the fringes… taking yout out of the fight longer than actual death would.

Anyway, I think the game has a lot of potential, but the best it has to offer is significantly dragged down by the worst. When the game works, holy shit it really fucking works. But chasing that particular grail is currently an excersize in so much frustration. But man does this game deliver when it’s given the chance to fully realize its potential.

What’s the best multiplayer game type to learn the ropes?

Probably attrition (i.e., team deathmatch). Lets you watch what the better players on the team do.

I would try Bounty Hunt. Lots of AI to kill, incentive to stay hidden, etc.

On parkour - I think it’s so much better in TF2. What people might miss though is that level designs depend on you incorporating slides into the mix to keep up momentum. Exclusively wall running won’t enable you to keep up speed.

Luckily, sliding is easy. You don’t need to time the duck button with when you land. You can hit the duck/slide button any time you’re in the air and you’ll see your weapon pose change. Then when you land you’ll automatically slide.

Just bought this. So I’m doing my part.

Just got the first Titan battery, so I’m still early. Beautiful game, though.

You made me wonder if I was justifying my purchase by liking it, so I put in the boys’ copy of CoD Advanced Warfare and fired up the campaign.

Huge difference in TF2’s favor. Huge.

“Just fun and borrows well” is good enough for me these days. How many AAA games are actually revolutionary, or even innovative? Since the multiplayer hasn’t grabbed me much, $60 was a bit much for what I got but it still is one of the better single player games I’ve played this year.

Even if Titanfall 2 is merely “borrowing” good ideas from other games, the fact that it’s entirely in its own class when it comes to movement mechanics along with some of the best “feeling” shooting in FPSs is a meaningful difference.

If a game is a slog to play it doesn’t matter how many great ideas it has.

I haven’t played CoD since…MW3? I think? But I would totally believe you if you say TF2’s campaign is a lot better than Infinite Warfare. I’m not questioning that it’s fun and worth playing/owning, and would not be surprised if someone who played them all said it had the best FPS campaign this year.

But I’ve seen gushing praise about how some of these levels are up there with some of the most iconic FPS levels—I wish I could remember exactly where I read it. I want to say it was a Eurogamer piece, but wherever it was they were comparing it to some of the best moments of Half-Life or the Cradle level from Thief (never played that, but I know that’s revered), and so on. The Eurogamer review did say things like this is what it would look like if Nintendo developed a Call of Duty.

And I think some of that is getting carried away. Titanfall 2 weaves together some clever gimmicks effectively without relying on them, and that’s no small feat. I just had my expectations set a little too high based on what I’d read here and around the web, and I was trying to recalibrate things a little.

That makes sense. I came in expecting a mediocre single player and a pretty good multiplayer, so I was pleasantly surprised when the campaign started doing interesting things.

I don’t think I’m ever going to get through the learning curve and really enjoy multiplayer, because I have no incentive to break through that curve. The novelty Titanfall has to offer in MP isn’t enough to motivate me—why would I struggle through this for a while when I can just get back into Overwatch and have a good time immediately?

This isn’t wholly a criticism of the game, I just don’t think it’s really for me. I think there’s a market for this and I hope TF2 doesn’t lose out on that just because of lousy launch timing, but I get an “I’m too old for this” feeling trying to learn the ropes here that I never got even starting out with Overwatch.

[quote=“WhollySchmidt, post:215, topic:78430, full:true”]
I think there’s a market for this and I hope TF2 doesn’t lose out on that just because of lousy launch timing, but I get an “I’m too old for this” feeling trying to learn the ropes here [/quote]

Exactly how I felt about the beta.

Try Last Titan Standing mode. Lots of fun with robots but without as much need to improve your old man reflexes.

This game is… so good. Playing on PS4

Respawn’s Vince Zampella doesn’t know if there will be a Titanfall 3.

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/qa-titanfall-2-creator-on-what-makes-a-great-shooter-w450709

[quote]
Do you think you’re getting enough support from Electronic Arts? Respawn owns Titanfall, while EA owns Battlefield. You once suggested you were concerned that publishers would put more of their muscle behind the games they own.

It’s always a concern. That’s what I’ll say. Especially when you have two games on top of each other.[/quote]

[quote]
Will you make another Titanfall game?

We don’t know yet. The game is, critically, a huge success. We’re really happy with all the reviews and the positive sentiment. Sales, it’s too early to tell. We’d definitely like to tell more of the story and the universe. I think it’s pretty safe to assume that we’ll explore more of it. EA might have announced more. Devin?

[Devin Bennett, a publicist for Electronic Arts, interjects, “What we’ve said is we’re committed to the franchise.”]

So, whatever the fuck that means.[/quote]

That doesn’t sound great.

Yeah, it is really disappointing, because the game is just great.