Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

I honestly didn’t really give a crap about the IW campaign, but I also didn’t finish it. Maybe it got better in the second half, but the first half was a yawnfest. I liked the campaign of TF better, with the interactions between you and the Titan, and the gameplay was quite well done… the time-shifting was well done, and the moving platform factory level was awesome.

But really, the gameplay in multiplayer is without peer at this point. It’s better than any other shooter on the market right now. Some may prefer BF1, as a matter of personal preference (some folks like BF, some folks like COD)… but Titanfall 2 is absolutely amazing in multiplayer. Most fun me and my buddies have had playing together since Destiny’s original release.

I made this clip yesterday while I was playing, and had a hilariously spectacular run at one point. Reflecting the damage from multiple Legion mechs back at them was stupidly fun.

Tip: Don’t keep shooting at Ion when he’s got his shield up.

Amazing play Timex! I wish you were on PC with me ;-p

Man, the more y’all talk about this game, the more I want it. STOP IT. ;)

It’s been a while since I played a shooter on the PC. I gotta imagine the balance is way different with a mouse.

You look very sharp with a controller Timex! The speed and aiming of other players on PC is incredible and more than a little disconcerting. It’s insane watching some of the kill cams and seeing just how quickly some people spin on a dime and pop you in the skull. I mean, as rare as my ‘moments’ are, I must look like that to my victims as well sometimes. I think my best round was the Capture the Flag video I posted above (I’d not been playing the game that long) and even then I was playing more of a supportive role than dedicated flag runner (which is what I try to do now because I’m more of a sneaky player than an all-out hipfiring nutter). :-D

Live Fire mode coming in the next content update.

[quote]
A lightning fast 6v6 Pilot only mode that brings competitive, close quarter combat to the forefront. A round-based best of 5 mode with no respawns, you will have one minute to eliminate the opposing team in order to win the round. You can also win the round if your team is holding the neutral flag when the round timer ends. It’s fast, frantic, and sure to help hone those teamwork and mobility skills. We’re also introducing two brand new maps designed specifically for Live Fire: Stacks and Meadow. Playable only in the Live Fire playlist, these two maps are tight, enclosed death boxes designed specifically for the fast-paced, intense nature of the mode.[/quote]

• New Coliseum map called Columns
  • New Commander intros for each Faction
  • Working on a new UI

As usual everything above is free.

As someone playing in Australia on PC with a peak population of around 200 on attrition and nothing else, I’m hoping the custom mixtapes will become the norm and lead to everyone queuing for everything, rather than just that one single gamemode over and over again. At this stage the two new maps along with the new gamemode might as well be locked behind a million dollar paywall for all I’ll get out of them.

Too much choice is bad in some cases I guess. Was same problem in RIFT PVP where there were too many game modes, so the ones you needed (for achievements) would never get rolled. Rather have the choice removed in that case, and stick to 2-3 things you’d always get a match for.

Kinda interested in grabbing TitanFall 2 but I’m waiting for it to drop in price more.

Cool! Last Titan Standing is great because of the single life so I wonder how this will pan out with pilots. I suck as a pilot though so…

So… is the Spitfire good for anything? I’ve tried my damnedest to make it work but it just seems utterly ineffectual at short to medium range. You have to iron sight with it or else the spread is colossal. At long range it kind of works but there’s much better alternatives.

Over the weekend there was one pilot vs. pilot match where I was shooting at someone a metre or two away from me and nearly emptied an entire mag trying to hit them once (and the Spitfire has a huge mag). In the end I just closed the distance and punched them to death. That was much quicker, deadlier and more accurate!

I’ve kind of fell in love with the Alternator. The Flatline has been pretty good for me although I think I’m still leaning towards the R-201. The Hemlock seems like a good weapon until you realise the hipfire is garbage.

The Hemlock is probably tied with a few others for best weapon in the game. One burst kill out to fairly long range if you land the whole thing… 2 shots if it’s amped or if you land one bullet on the head. Extremely accurate, making landing the whole burst fairly easy.

For SMG’s, the Alternator is solid, although it probably pales compared to the Volt, which is stupid accurate even at crazy long range. It’s basically a laser.

For LMG’s, the Devotion is kind of broken it’s so good. It has no real recoil, and is a 3 shot kill at any range. Which makes it a really weird ultra-long-range death machine.

One thing to bear in mind is this: The stats listed in-game for the weapons? Yeah… no. Those stats are total garbage, and mean seemingly nothing when compared to actual in game performance.

This spreadsheet has a bunch of weapons stats, which may be slightly out of date, but for the most part match up with the game.

Cheers Timex! I’ve steered clear of the Devotion and Volt because I don’t like jumping on the bandwagon if I can help it. The Hemlock sounds like I ought to give it another punt but the hipfire is a killer for me. I liked the G2 as well, but again, the hipfire.

Well, if you use hipfire mostly, then the SMG’s are where its at. All the SMG’s seem to have virtually no spread when fired from the hip.

I do ironsight but I find that players are on top of me so quickly that hipfire is a more important consideration most of the time! I should probably level some of these weapons to unlock the quick aim too.

Had a really amusing game last night. Was on Mixtape/CTF/Angel City playing with someone called GG_Bounty who was a sharp player. The matchmaking had screwed up and we totally stomped the opposition. It was over in minutes. GG_Bounty at the top of the table was all ‘EZ PZ’ in the chat, which I detest, so I told him to stop being a dick. I got nothing back from him and we went back to the matchmaking.

Amazingly, I got put back on CTF/Angel City again, but this time I was against GG_Bounty. The first two flags we capped no problem, to their one, then they equalised. GG_Bounty took up a defensive position in this courtyard near the flag with his Mastiff one shotting anyone who got close. He realised after a while that the team needed him flag running so he left his station. I can’t remember what score it was but he was fighting hard, defending and attacking – he took me out so many times and I managed to stop him in his tracks a few as well.

We were up on points, but I had the flag in the last 30 seconds and was bombing across the map using my stim pack, along walls, through alleys, into windows and through buildings to break line of sight. I slid out of this window and landed right in front of an enemy titan or pilot (I didn’t turn to look!) and got hit a few times, but just managed to dash into this bush and over a wall where my teammates were holding the flag drop point.

GG_Bounty came rushing from the flag drop point and zeroed in on me. I slid straight towards him while shooting and managed to take him down with a few seconds to drop the flag and secure the game (I could hear the ticker). The victory screen popped up and, surprise surprise, GG_Bounty was moaning about his team. I told him that he was a poor loser and how only in the last game he was saying ‘EZ PZ’ after winning. I added that he should suck it up, for once. I got nothing back but it felt good to make a terrible winner (and loser), lose. Heh.

The Mastiff is kind of trash, compared to the Evo, from what I’ve seen. Not sure why anyone would use it.

I’ve had some good games with it but I find with the EVO that if you’re not close you’re a sitting duck. Yeah, it’s a shotgun but sometimes you’ll just find yourself in the open against a rifle or SMG. The Mastiff is a bit more versatile but you need to be confident with tracking your shots because the rate of fire is low, the clip’s small and the bullets aren’t hitscan. It packs a punch though. I flit between the two. Either way, he managed a good 16+ kills in that game and topped the leaderboards again.

Maybe it comes down to how the mastiff works. It seemed like the spread meant that the mastif was largely useless at long range, since it spread out its pellets in a line. Maybe that’s not the case?

Mastiff hits pretty hard, so even at mid range you can take people out if you can lead properly. I generally find it too hard to use over the EVO, though. Shock grenades are great with the latter to close the gap without getting yourself killed.

Spitfire is generally considered absolute garbage by the community afaik. I see ‘shitfire’ get tossed around a lot.

Kind of disappointed to hear the in game stats aren’t accurate, but then the guns are pretty easy to get a feel for vis-a-vis their advantages and drawbacks, so I’ve never really felt the need to crunch numbers anyway.

But the Mastiff spreads it’s pellets, right? So isn’t it impossible to land more than one at any real range?

I feel like there’s this golden range where you can take out someone with a shot to the head slightly further away than you could with the EVO. Should clarify, I definitely do think the EVO is a much better weapon.
Edit: EVA…