Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

From that wording, I think it’s pretty safe to expect Titanfall 3 and Battlefield 2.

Though Titanfall 3 is going to expect to deliver on sales.

Anyone know about a free week(end) being planned for TF2? Want to try it out, but not paying premium price for a fairly time limited online MP title.

TF2 is worth your money if you like call of duty at all.

The file at EA need to recognize that they kind of fucked Titanfall over due to when they released it.

The single player is worth the price of admission, as is the MP.

Phew. The $30 sale on Xbox Live is over today. Otherwise your words were going to tempt me again. It’s back to full price again today though. This is the fourth time it’s been on sale for that price though, so it might happen again soon.

Yeah I was tempted to, but none of my Bing certificates had come through so I wasn’t too tempted. Plus I have no business buying another new game, not that that’s ever stopped me.

Yeah, that’s where I’m at too. Out of the haul I bought on Black Friday and Christmas, I’ve gotten through two games so far. Out of about 10.

That’s the thing for me though: I’m likely to dip into a multiplayer game far more than I am to fully commit to a single-player title or two these days. Much like Rocket League and Splatoon, I find Titanfall 2 perfect for bite-sized sessions most evenings. I’m closing in on the 60 hour mark now in fact! The short but super sweet single-player campaign on top is just icing on the cake.

It must be said too, that the Titanfall subreddit is a great source for awesome TF2 gifs: https://gfycat.com/SnivelingSorrowfulArgusfish

And this is more like me with the Mastiff: https://gfycat.com/LankySingleDog

I haven’t finished the SP yet, maybe 1/3 through. Is there anything I really need to know before jumping into MP? Is it reasonably forgiving for noobs, or should I tool around with bots or something first? Are there even bots…?

Overwatch is really beginning to grind my gears for its terrible and obtuse matchmaking, loot box grind, long patch cycles and lack of forthcoming content (content attached to selling fucking loot boxes aside).

1. You’re going to die a lot until you get better.
  2. It’s about as forgiving for noobs as current Call of Duty MP. Expect some frustration due to what will seem like impossible moves for you at the start, but stick with it and you’ll do fine. You’ll be surprised how quickly you learn.
  3. In Attrition, there are AI NPCs that show up on the map, but they’re not “bots” in the tradtional sense. They’re more like the harvest critters in a MOBA. There are no bot matches of the kind you’re thinking of.

I think there’s a mode where you can explore the maps solo. Might be good for getting a feel for the different maps. The SP campaign is a decent enough primer for general movement, certain pilot abilities, weapons and, of course, the different titans but, really, the multiplayer’s the ultimate crash course. I jumped into the SP after a good 6-8 hours of MP and I kind of wish I’d just exposed myself to SP from the start for maximum effect.

One of the things that impressed me the most with Titanfall 2 is how balanced most of the games are. Sure, I’ve had plenty of games where things were horribly lob-sided but overall I think the consistency of legitimately good, close games is very high here. I thought that when I first started playing, and I still think that now.

My advice would be to have a tool around with the different weapons and abilities you unlock, set up a few loadouts you think you’ll be comfortable with, then jump into Mixtape to experience the different game modes on offer. I think there’s something for everyone in there. Stick to the objectives because even if you’re not scoring kills left, right and centre, you can still end up being MVP for your team.

Yeah, play the single player first. It provides good training on all of the abilities and different mechs.

In MP, you are gonna die a lot at first… but I find that’s standard with any shooter, as you start to learn to play.

Frothy’s youtube videos on the game provide very useful info.

My tips, adapted from upthread:
• Find a gun that suits your play style, they have different types for different styles.
• You will be underpowered to start out, and need to learn the maps and earn the unlocks. Dues must be paid. Play in off-peak times if you want to avoid the guys who really know their shit and roll over noobs for fun.
The game will punish you for stand-and-bang gameplay, both as a pilot and as a titan. Stick and move. Hanging around in one place will get you smacked down. Not evading fire and going head-on with a titan against another titan will get you to doomed very quickly. Manage cooldowns, use shields, learn to dodge and use cover.
• Titans against pilots is unfair, use that to your advantage. Shoot them, melee them when they jump near you, step on them. Free points for your side. If you must titan hunt as a pilot (and I’m hard-headed enough to try), make sure you don’t shoot from the same place twice, or make sure your target is engaged with another titan and too busy to deal with you. By the third shot, assume an enemy pilot is on his way to stomp you.
Notice how experienced players prefer to stick around each other in their titans to outnumber lone-wolf opponents. Unbalanced fights are very much in the bigger side’s favor. If you find yourself losing a lot to a certain tactic, consider adopting that tactic.
• In attrition and bonus bank modes, the minions are worth plenty of points if you take the time to kill them, especially in a quick-moving titan. Dashing your titan to auto-squish a couple of 3-man squads of sentinels (one per) is more points than a pilot kill (four). MVPs usually have plenty of minion kills as well as pilot and titan kills.
• Stick and move gameplay will also reduce your deaths, which reduces your contribution to the other side’s totals. Don’t underestimate the value of dying only four times (+16 to the other side) as opposed to 10 times (+40) to the other side. Any means of denying points is strategically useful, even if it doesn’t make you feel like a badass.
•Stealth works, remember to use the cloak if you choose to equip it. Hiding in a good corner near a control point or a high-traffic part of the map can be effective.

Live Fire mode trailer

The only thing about this new mode which seems weird to me, is the 60 second time limit.

That looks great, and I love the no respawning and 60 second time limit. Seems like a good equivalent to Last Titan Standing.

Yay! So the boxed game with an Origin key is on sale on Amazon. It’s not its lowest price, but I had enough reward points to get it for free! Yay! Can’t wait to dive in!

Is this dead on PC? I have tried a few times over the last week at various times and I cannot get a game. It just searched forever with the ‘searching for players found 1/x (0 in matches)’.

I have the required ports forwarded, just in case.

Just now the client only reports 1600 or so players online. Most I have seen it report is about 4500.

I don’t usually have to wait for longer than 30 seconds on Mixtape (from the London server). No doubt it’s quieter midweek.

Just cancelled a mixtape search after about 10 minutes fruitless waiting.