Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

I think it was a combination of the server-less MW2 and the loss of server communities combined with increasingly futuristic crap that ended my days with COD.

Same here.

I spent many many hours playing COD2 and COD4 MW multiplayer back in the day. I think the first Modern Warfare hit a sweet spot between an older era of FPS games and the newer era of progressive unlocks. Though since it was on the early cusp of that model the system was palatable and not too invasive. The unlocks and progression were not as convoluted, drawn out, and over-designed as recent shooter titles.

I have so many great memories from that period.

-Todd

I’d actually be okay with that. I liked Destiny’s gameplay for a time, but didn’t really like the PvP. I like the PvP in Titanfall more, so having a singleplayer/solo/coop experience could really add to things. I guess you could say the added hordemode sort of did that, but eh, it wasn’t enough to keep me playing.

I thought I would revisit this game to see if my negative thoughts upthread were accurate.

I re-downloaded and reinstalled all 50+ GB of this beast.

I played one co-op map then uninstalled it. It was OK, but wow this game is a very arcadey shooter. All weapons don’t feel like they have any impact or weight. You might as well be shooting pew pew laser beams. This is especially true when firing at other Titans since they are big cuddly bullet sponges. It was competent but didn’t really grab me again. Weapons had no weight, the movement was floaty, and movement in the Titans didn’t really give you a feel of their weight or size.

There were still a few hundred players on the servers though mostly clustered in 1-3 modes leaving most game modes empty.

-Todd

Something, something Star Wars.

http://www.respawn.com/stig-blog/

I am happy to announce our partnership with Electronic Arts and Lucasfilm to deliver a whole new adventure to the galaxy.**

For me, just typing these words is surreal. I have been playing Star Wars games my whole life, now I get to make a Star Wars game. On top of that, I get to do it at Respawn, a studio comprised of the most talented collection of game makers, creators, visionaries, and (most importantly) advocates for the player, that I have had the good fortune to work with. And we, like you all, have no shortage of Star Wars passion.

The entire company erupted in cheers when it was announced that this would be our next endeavor.

But it’s not all fun and games — we promise to pay respect to the Star Wars legacy at all times, a fact that will be constantly reinforced and honored as a central game design tenet. Fans should expect the exemplary level of quality first established at Respawn with Titanfall, a game that epitomizes our studio’s dedication to slick, larger-than-life action and fun, groundbreaking mechanics. Moving forward, we couldn’t ask for a better universe in which to continue this journey, and although I would love to share all of the exciting places we are going, we have the following piece of information to divulge with you all today:

We’ll be making a third-person action/adventure game set in the Star Wars universe.

Kick ass.

Edit: Shame that it’s 3rd person though. My interest just dipped 33%.

Shame that it’s Star Wars though. My interest just dipped 90%.

Ha! I’d think the same if it was Lucasarts. But there have been some great Star Wars games. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 and KOTOR 1 and 2 come immediately to mind.

Stig came over from Santa Monica Studios where he led a God of War game so his project being 3rd person isn’t a surprise.

Sent from my Nexus7 2012 3G using Tapatalk

Agreed.

-Todd

Someone popped up on Reddit with a bunch of info. While the content of the post was later deleted, it’s out and about.

• Grappling hooks
  • Much bigger maps
  • Releasing in October

The post had leaked artwork as well that expanded on some currently released images.

…aaaand I’m still waiting for Visceral’s Star Wars game here.

keep waiting. you’ll never see it.

Telefrag- all the game needed was ’ much bigger maps’. The confined maps made the mechs pretty much secondary. I could cause far more damage on foot and have my Mech as a turretbot. A sprinkle of open spaces and ‘city’ would solve some of that. And get rid of --or make harder --the jump on a mech and kill them move, which is fun, but good players neutralize mechs pretty quickly.

I didn’t play long enough to talk authoritatively about it in any way, but that’s how I felt about the Mechs from the start. It just seemed like you were too vulnerable in one. It never made me feel powerful, just made me feel vulnerable. On the other hand, when I was on foot, I felt like a nimble assassin. Which was fantastic. But I never got good at piloting a Mech since it was so much more fun being on foot, which exacerbated the problem.

I loved the mechs more than being on foot. That said, once people got stupidly good at getting up to really high places on foot, it became very hard to do well with a mech. Getting grappled on also sucked, but I always took the poison smoke gas, and if that was on cooldown I tended to stay away from other players. A dash could also ruin someone’s attempt to cling onto you (And I gravitated towards always taking the three dash mech), or a well timed grab, but that was much tougher to do. Mechs were really good for racking up tons of points for your side by killing all the AI though, I’d dash around spamming the grenades on incoming AI mobs to great effect.

I never felt like the level size was the problem, more that it was the minor clutter that prevented a mech from getting anywhere. I’d like some more destructable environments, It’d be nice to just knock whatever spindly tower the sniper is standing on, or put a chunk out of the ledge they’re on. Even if I could understand why they didn’t allow for it in the first place. I’d love to see a bit more detail on the mechs like limb loss.

My favorite mode was the Last Titan Standing mode, followed by whatever that points mode was called with all the AI, the horde mode they added later was okay, but never really got into it – probably would’ve been more fun with a dedicated group.

Leaky leaky

I do like scarves…

Is that another cat helmet?

There was a previous cat helmet??