Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

You are doing yourself a disservice by not playing this game.

I don’t know Timex. JonRowe seemed pretty dismissive of the story, implying it was entirely predictable and rote.

There you go, sums it up better than I could. I totally will play Titanfall 2, but it will always come in second to Mass Effect in my heart.

They’re totally different games. The TF2 campaign was really great, but I’d say it’s real value comes from its awesome multiplayer. Mass Effect is primarily a single player RPG.

So there’s room for both… HZD sucked me away from TF2 for a week or so… and now Mass Effect has. But TF2’s my “core” game for the time being, when some other single player game doesn’t have my attention.

Hey, fine, don’t play it then. If all it takes to dissuade you is one guy saying it’s rote, all the while there’s a chorus of us saying how great it is…then maaayyyybe it’s not for you.

I bought this back at release to support the dev’s , haven’t touched the campaign, and after 3 hours of getting my arse handed to me in multiplayer I don’t bother with that either.

It was still dumb to release this at the same time as Battlefield 1. Which I have over 70 hours of MP played.

I am ok with spoilers, I figure if its out 3+ months people are going to want to talk about it.

Dude, the campaign is amazing! You own it, just dive in!

I wouldn’t go that far, but I think the high praise it is getting is a bit much. It is very trope-y, but I enjoyed the single player campaign a lot. I don’t think the fact that the story isn’t super original, doesn’t change the fact that it is told well. The spectacle alone on “effect and cause” and the habitat manufacturer levels are great.

I mean, I think the story is fun, but not perfect. More of a Stackpole “Rogue Squadron” vibe, which I enjoyed. And while I think the story is not high art, the way that Respawn has built the mechanics of Titan-ing and the “effect and cause” mission and weaved those with the story is quite good. Like, I think that is where the praise comes from, because when the mechanics of gameplay and the story hit well in this game, it is really good.

But, I think, overall, the story is pretty typical sci-fi AI-partner, new recruit quasi hero-journey stuff we have seen before. Like, the story is about you becoming a badass pilot, and throughout the game, that is what you do, which is a pretty cool way to frame a story, that you can really only do in a video game. It isn’t just telling you a plot, but you, as the player, feel connected to it. At the start you are some scrub, and by the end you are a finely tuned machine of war.

Also, that smart-pistol section is something else as well.

It is really good, and you should play it, I liked it a lot!

Ya, the story didn’t have any kind of epic twist or anything…
But the Titan/Mech that you play with is a really awesome character.

OH LOOK IT’S ON SALE AGAIN YOU ANIMALS.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=Titanfall+2+Deluxe+Edition&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

He’s jaded. It’s one of the best FPS stories ever done. Granted, the mere fact of having distinguishable characters with any degree of depth will get you into the top 10%, but TF2 was a well-told and well-paced story with genuine emotional impact.

Of the movie Stealth.

As soon as I finish Max Payne 3, I’ll get on this. So much backlog! :p

Well, I can’t be bothered to track down every forgotten Netflix “gem,” but it’s not like your example is the first of that type of story.

I know you think you’re being funny, but every time you bring this up just makes you look more and more like an asshole.

To me anyway. ;)

Look, I love this game, and I bought it the month it came out, and I played through the story, and a ton of the multiplayer. It is a 5/5 for me. Criminally under-rated, but I think people oversell the story to a large degree. The characters of BT and (I had to look this up) Cooper are well written, their interactions are funny, but the generic war storyline with the maguffin that needs to be secured at all costs, complete with a cadre of baddies that range from cyborg S&M mistress to Arnold Schwarzenegger clone, I don’t think it holds up. I played through the campaign (admittedly 4 months ago) and the only name I could remember from that game is BT, because he is a great character in an otherwise so-so story.

And just to point out my ability to read the future.

Here is part of a preview I wrote on Titanfall 2 during E3 2016

The single player campaign trailer leads you to believe that the story will be about the relationship of the player to an advanced Titan AI. Bold prediction: your Titan AI sacrifices itself to save your life at the end. A noble, yet familiar sacrifice. This is the exact plot of the 2005 action film, Stealth. (I don’t know if this story is bad, or the plot of Stealth was better than its execution?)

My earth-shattering prediction from 4 months prior to the release of the game is spoiler tagged.

I am done now, I apologize for being a dick, I guess I am in a bit of a mood today. The game is good though, and people should play it!

Started playing the campaign a bit, but think with my limited time I should focus on MP while it is still being played.
Campaign seemed decent enough though. Only seen Stealth once, so can not really remember it much.

Did they have any plans to put XBOX and PC players on same matchmaking pool, or?

Well bully for you, you guessed the plot. Why not ruin it for anyone else who doesn’t share your precognitive skills?

I’m just gonna let it go, man. You say you like them game yet drape your wet blanket over it at the same time.

I think you can enjoy something and still be critical of the shortcomings.

I apologize for not spoiler tagging everything right away, but I fixed that fairly quickly.