Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

All right, everybody’s happy! A round of titans for my friends!

Actually, that being said, does anyone play on PS4? That is the version I got, I was scared off of the PC version because of the issues Titanfall 1 had with the playerbase.

Ohhh, big content drop and a free weekend coming up!

I love it when you say stuff that sounds funny in a Zoidberg voice.

So this is cool, got it off the official Discord.

Titanfall 2 is having a free weekend! March 30th through April 3rd, Titanfall 2 will be free to try! Tell your friends!

Official statement from Respawn: “With the launch of Colony Reborn we will also be kicking off another Free Trial weekend that will start on 3/30 and run through 4/3. We got some great feedback from the last trial so this time in addition to having access to full multiplayer, you can also play the Training Gauntlet and the single player mission The Beacon. After the trial the Training Gauntlet and The Beacon will remain free to play in perpetuity.”

The free weekend is live. Last night I downloaded the 54 GB “trial” onto my Xbox One. I’ll give it a spin later tonight. Hopefully my wife will be occupied with something else and I’ll get some console time on the big TV.

Yay! Enjoy! I played a couple matches last night and had a blast. I still suck, but they weren’t kidding with the double XP. Went from level 4 to 6 in one match because we won.

Any thoughts on the new gun? I haven’t played in a week or so while I’ve been playing Mass effect.

The single player mission in the trial is fantastic so far. I still can’t wrap my head around that concept. A single player game based on the fantastic movement of the pilot, plus the Titan. It’s great stuff.

The only thing I’m not enjoying so much is the gun-play. Fighting these robots with these piddly guns. Even when I beat them, it’s not super satisfying. Makes me wonder if I’m supposed to be constantly moving or something, like in multiplayer. And currently I’m stuck on an enemy that’s like a mini-titan. I can lob grenades or shoot it with bullets all day long, but it keeps living and eventually kills me. Again, I wonder if I’m supposed to not be looking to shoot and hide. Maybe I’m supposed to run past it and keep moving in more open ground?

Yesssss.

I enjoyed the sp mission.

I’m joining an online game now, there are 3850 players in pc.

I finished the single player mission today.

The key to defeating those mini-titans was indeed to keep moving and shooting, all the time, and then picking up new weapons, and keep moving to new areas, killing other troops, and continuously shooting the mini-titan chasing you the whole time. It felt quite dynamic and very interesting. Those are the types of fights that are normally highly scripted in a single player campaign, but here it was all very much improvised on my part, and just a normal fight as far as level design was concerned, combined with good game mechanics.

That single mission they let you try was really a good showcase for both titan and pilot combat. Glad you enjoyed it. You should get the full game because that’s actually not even close to the best mission in the game. ;)

I played maybe a dozen matches this weekend, not just Attrition but CTF, Last Titan Standing and more. SO fun, and I’m slowly getting better. My last match had two titan kills and three pilot kills! Felt freaking great.

The learning curve for multiplayer isn’t the steepest I’ve seen, but it’s about in line with most similar shooters… You die a lot early on. Like most shooters, a huge portion of whether you live or die is dependent upon being in the right places, an avoiding the bad places.

The new way of choosing game modes, where you can just select all the modes you want to play, and have it match you into any of them, is well done.

That’s a good point, I personally have found that standing where the bullets are hasn’t worked very well for me in the past. So I’m trying a strategy of bullet avoidance, seems to be reaping dividends.

The single player game’s level traversal reminded me a lot of Mirror’s Edge, except nowhere near as finicky. It’s like Mirror’s Edge on a much bigger scale, since you’re moving way faster than Faith moves in that series.

I got it at 50% off a month or two ago or so? They discount the COD games very frequently, so you’re unlikely to have to wait long. It was worth the ca. $30 I paid for it.

True, but Mirror’s Edge is pretty cool in itself. I love Catalyst.

Yeah, it’s on sale on Humble right now, and I am kinda sorta tempted, but I’ve also plenty else to play at the moment.

Ohhhhh, new stuff incoming!

Wow, a whole new titan is a pretty big thing… and two more maps.