Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

Quick look for TF2 looks cool, but I just started playing BF1 so looks like I’m going to end up passing for now at least. The operations mode in BF1 was just too awesome looking to not play. Kinda wish the releases had been staggered more. Ah well.

I’m in for the Network. Of course, my EA name is different from my QT3 name which is different from my Steam name, etc.

Enjoying the multiplayer quite a bit. Love the weapon feel as a pilot, and I’m slowly getting the hang of the various Titan types. Of course, I’m ass at FPS, but the Bounty and Hardpoint games are pretty fun. Would love to see a Horde mode or something. Is there an in-game multiplayer benefit to finishing the campaign? It’s fun, but I’d rather be doing multiplayer unless there’s a compelling reason to finish it all.

I’m pretty confident that Titanfall 2 won’t retain players any better than the original did. Just a gut feeling at this point. Learning curve is very steep, skill amplifier is incredibly high vs. other shooters, twitch factor is through the roof, and there really isn’t any support role for “less skilled” player to feel good about themselves. It’s tough to have any sort of success early on if you aren’t a decent FPS player.

Overall I find the game fun, but definitely flawed. A few things I dislike:

• The amount of unlockables is insane. Everything can level up and has a maze of unlocks. Give me a break.
  • 90% of the weapons feel totally useless. I have zero idea why you’d ever wanna use a LMG for instance. The combination of low TTK and fast movement speed mean long range engagement is pretty stupid. Might as well always take an SMG or shotgun and never ADS.
  • TTK is stupidly, stupidly short. No matter how good you are you will die many, many times a match with zero chance for reaction or escape.
  • Way too many game modes and there’s no way half of them will ever maintain popularity enough to be worth it. They should have stuck with 2 or at most 3.

Probably more. Overall it’s a fun game, but a little all over the place.

At least all DLC will be free so that it doesn’t fragment the player base.

Anyway, I’m 3-4 hours into the campaign and am loving it so far. Lots of cool ideas I would have never expected!

That’s interesting.

Eurogamer came to the opposite conclusion and suggested that LMGs and Assault rifles were the only way to go since you were mostly fighting at distance.

1 hit melee is glorious, and movement is just top notch. I am having flashbacks to UT2004’s pace of gameplay.

If anything I would criticize the shortness of matches. And that there are unlocks and perks for everythingggggg.

Hit rank 5 on PC, and I am in the bottom 2 on my team due to score/low kills, heh.

That’s about where I fall. Really liked the T2 campaign, reminded me of the best CoD set pieces, but with some nice world building, story telling, and voice acting. Enjoyed using the different titan load outs without the pressure or gating of multiplayer.

A fun weekend. Second only to Doom this year for my FPS list.

Just finished the campaign and really liked it. Is it as good as Doom or Wolfenstein? No, it isn’t, but those are truly stellar single player campaigns so that doesn’t mean TF2 is bad, far from it.

Maybe it was a touch on the short side, but i felt it ended well.

My only complaint would be that for a game called titanfall, i felt like i was on foot most of the time. I felt more like “some dude with a jetpack” than the pilot of a mech.

I’ve been playing Attrition ever since finishing the campaign the day of release. I’m currently level 21 and slowly grinding my way up the food chain. I’m not a very good player, so the climb is slow, and the losses are many (I’m a PC mouse/kb player at heart, but have been playing the Titanfall series on my Xbox One because my PC can no longer run these types of games until I upgrade). But I’m having a lot of fun with the game regardless of my slower reflexes on the controller.

I got off to a very slow start, probably coming in dead last the majority of the time during my first 10 levels or so, with about 3 pilot/1 Titan kill per game on average. But eventually I found a loadout that works best for me, and now I’m regularly finishing in the top three (with 8-9 pilot and 2 or so Titan kills per game on average). But it took a lot of fucking games to get there, I gotta tell ya. I played Titanfall 1 a lot when it released, but I’ve apparently retained zero of the muscle-memory required to navigate the map and deal with an enemy in a pinch, so it took a lot of retraining to get there. And, boy, were those early games frustrating as all hell.

I try to parkour as much as possible, but unless I’m just hopping up a wall, the low low low TTK means parkour turns me into nothing more than a big fat stupid target; incapable of dealing with enemies once I’m spotted. This is why other games with lots of mobility, like Tribes, were so much fun to play to me, because I could venture out and traverse the map without too much worry about dying the millisecond I’m seen. And the insanely low TTK also punishes those with anything other than the best of pings. But that an old argument.

In the end, I’m enjoying multi-player much more than in the alpha. I like several of the changes made between the first and second, such as combining the pistol/Anti-Titan Weapon slot, Titan batteries and all their inclusion entails, and several of the new skills. I’m also thrilled Burn cards are gone. No matter how much I enjoyed the first game, I fucking hated burn cards. I didnt like managing them, I didn’t like using them, and I hated playing against them them. I much prefer it now that several of those abilities have been broken up and dispersed amongst various skills and such.

In the end though, I do think this game suffers from one basic problem that the Tribes series also suffered from (most notably with Tribes: Ascend), the crushing skill barrier for new players. You have to be one dedicated newbie to stick with the game after being murdered from behind for hours while also constantly molassesing your way through the map while every one else is pinballing off every available surface. This sort of difficulty can scare people off, and I think that’s why so many new players tend to gravitate towards more immobile roles, like snipers, campers, and general annoyances sitting and waiting for you around every corner. I do hope the game can maintain these people’s interest, because I feel like this is the type of shooter that requires a little extra effort from people to really get the most from.

Player skill and the expectation of earning it is exactly what makes Titanfall so appealing to me. It may not be for everyone, but it sure as hell makes for a long and entertaining build up of your capabilities as a player and when you get good, you feel awesome.

In some small way, it’s the multiplayer Dark Souls of first person shooters.

Yeah this is crazy to me. Most of my Pilot vs. Pilot engagements happen at pretty close range. I’ve tried playing the mid/long range game against other pilots and it’s just not useful at all. The extremely low TTK mean high rate of fire and low recoil rule the day (and this seems to be borne out by what other players are running with as well). Additionally the ADS is a pretty narrow FoV and leaves you as a bit of a sitting duck.

I truly am enjoying the campaign. Not any sort of all time great, but well done.

Don’t forget to join the Qt3 network!

Are developers suddenly becoming more creative about FPS campaigns or have we seen buzz like this before? At least since HL2.

I feel like some people are being conservative about the campaign because it wasn’t “supposed” to be good, and it’s hard for some people to acknowledge the fact that it is.

It is hands down, without question, one of my favorite shooter campaigns in years. So many completely unexpected ideas with such great variety. Nothing over stays it’s welcome. It’s fucking gorgeous even on Xbox One - some incredible skybox vistas, but also some massive landscapes you actually interact with.

And all that in addition to what Titanfall was known for - the best god damned locomotion and mobility in FPS history, and guns which just feel awesome to use.

And then there’s the titan combat too, of course - and the campaign delivers some truly great titan combat sequences.

Well, whaddayaknow…

[quote]Titanfall 2 launch sales failed to match up to those of its predecessor in the UK.

Chart-Track, which tracks physical sales only, said Titanfall 2 didn’t match the launch sales of the original game.

Titanfall came out on Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC, although its physical sales on PC were negligible. Titanfall 2 launched on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, and again, physical sales were negligible.

Respawn’s shooter entered the UK chart in 4th place - a disappointing launch for a game that has been critically acclaimed. Edwin was full of praise in Eurogamer’s Titanfall 2 review. While digital sales were not included in the data, it’s unlikely they made up the shortfall.[/quote]

Even with the positive early buzz I still wonder if this game doesn’t get crunched between BF1 and CoD. I really dont understand why they would release right in the middle of those two big franchises.

I think they really screwed up with the release date. It was foolish to sandwich this between Battlefield 1 and Infinite Warfare.

Same reason the latest Tomb Raider launched when it did back when it got murdered by Fallout 4… or that Battleborn vs Overwatch bloodbath. Denial? Stubbornness? A refusal to back down when faced by Goliath?

Haven’t physical sales, in general, gone way down over the past few years?

I know that I haven’t bought a physical game, at all, this entire generation.

This is true, but Titanfall 2 has the advantage of being on PS4 as well as Xbox One and PC this time around. If it couldn’t even match the launch sales of the last game while having a whole extra platform…