Titanfall 2 - Maybe this time it will retain players?

Ya, I’d just want to see what the actual sales are though, not just physical copies.

Jesus. Titanfall 2 didn’t just sell less at launch than the first game in the UK. It sold much less.

[quote]
In fact, the game’s launch sales are barely a quarter of the ones achieved by its original…[/quote]

That’s rough.

Of course, I’m calling BS on the whole “we’re not worried” and “it doesn’t really matter when it comes out” parts, but it’s not like anyone expects a Respawn employee to openly criticize the publisher of their game right around launch time.

A good game does get noticed, unfortunately a great game trumps that. BF1 is clearly such a passion piece for that team (much like CoD4 was) that I think it really is managing to overshadow the competition.

That and CoD has a remaster of CoD4. That’s a tough crowd to weigh in against even if you did make a great game.

Still, NPD will likely tell the tale soon enough.

Titanfall 1 hype was through the roof. Said hype had a readjustment as it was good, but lacking content. As such it also really failed to last long in the gaming zeitgeist. While news and footage show that they have improved on missteps from before, it is an extremely competitive fall for online shooters. I am not shocked at all that it’s rather competitive release numbers falls well short of its starry eyed hype original numbers.

I hope they take the right lesson from this (watch your release timing) rather than the wrong lessons (the franchise is bad).

Oh, you see, one of the things people complained with TF1 was the lack of ‘content’, of all the modes and unlocakbles that the competition (BF, cod) has. So they ‘fixed’ it here.

There’s no avoiding the passion that Respawn invested into their sequel, considering it’s the teams first chance to demonstrate what they can do with a campaign since 2009, and the 2010 shakeup stalled their singleplayer efforts. It’s like they’re showing off!

There’s a strong case to be made that Titanfall 2 is the best shooter released this year. It’s certainly the best reviewed. I think the campaign ranks with the all-time greats. In terms of game feel and responsiveness, it’s the best I’ve ever experienced.

https://twitter.com/Jam_sponge/status/793036203880833029

Kotaku’s review

Titanfall 2 is one of the year’s best games and a remarkably wonderful surprise. The campaign is revelatory. It is impeccably designed. The multiplayer might not reach the same heights but it still manages to offer a highly charged experience.

Bold enthusiasm for a game often summons sceptics or contrarians. Pay them no heed. Titanfall 2 is impressive. Its influence will ripple through video games in the same way that titles like Half Life or Halo managed in their time. Beautiful and bold, Titanfall 2 is the pinnacle of first person shooters.

PC Gamer

Titanfall 2 is a very different game to its predecessor, but it has led me along a similar line of thought. If this were a game from the late nineties or early noughties, we’d likely look back at the mission ‘Effect and Cause’ as one of the greats of the genre, the sort of one-off statement of imagination and execution that you think of when you consider BioShock’s Fort Frolic, Thief 3’s Cradle, or—and I can’t believe I’m about to make this comparison—Half-Life 2’s We Don’t Go To Ravenholm. It’s that good. I know—I’m surprised too.

That one act really is a spectacular jewel in the game’s crown, and it’s remarkable because it’s a self-contained experience. Titanfall 2 takes notes from the way that Valve structured the Half-Life series: each section introduces a set of ideas, escalates them quickly, and then moves on from them just as fast. As a result there’s a lot packed into the 6-7 hours it will take you to finish the campaign, with each section finding its own way to surprise you.

I seriously don’t understand the adoration people are showing for the campaign, internetwide. I’m not saying their opinion is wrong, but I do feel like the odd duck in that I found it okay rather than orgasmic. And as much as I enjoy the game (I really do), after playing the campaign I’d think I’d have preferred bot matches and a single-player practice mode for the MP maps.

In other news, I’m enjoying Xbox’s new rare achievement system that tells you the rough % of game owners that have completed certain tasks. I have a couple 1% achievements so far (completed helmet collections, killing certain enemies etc, nothing stupendous), but it’s interesting to see how many people approach the game a certain way. And very interesting to see how the numbers change the deeper into the campaign I go etc.

That’s how I felt when the internet embraced Wolfenstein: The New Order. Any game that starts with a turret sequence can’t be a classic!

I thought MachineGames debut was okay, but putting it in the pantheon of great shooters was mind boggling to me, considering it felt clunky to play, had uninspired weapons and enemies, didn’t introduce anything new mechanically, and the narrative felt like a Quentin Tarantino knock-off without his love of the medium. Like, Inglorious Basterds is a love-letter to cinema from a cinephile. In no universe is WTNO a love-letter to shooters.

People like what they like.

To go into more detail about why I love the campaign so much would require spoiling it. So here’s spoilerized text - but the spoilers are major. Gameplay systems and surprising ideas, I honestly don’t give a shit about the story.

[spoiler]* The factory constructing settlements around you was just amazing in its breadth and scope. The way you saw these things evolve from construction to completion, the way you played on them instead of just watching them

• The time travel mechanic was completely amazing, opened up some really spectacular combat abilities, some really fun platforming, and didn’t over-stay its welcome
  • At the end of that level, when time completely stopped, I realized that Titanfall 2 did Quantum Break better than Quantum Break did, primarily because of the movement mechanics
  • The all-out assault in an epic titan-on-titan battle was really cool, especially since you had your AI partners
  • The massive platforming level where you were trying to get to the sattellite provided so many options for attack, very wide for an otherwise linear level
  • The combat while flying through the air vehicles was tons of fun, especially when I started platforming between them
  • The wind turbines and using the electrified cannon was pretty cool
  • The end sequence with the smart pistol was just the absolutely perfect cap to the rest of the campaign - so satisfying and cathartic to have this thing[/spoiler]

I feel like every single level brought something new and unexpected to the table. I just loved every minute of it.

I got to “the glove” last night and that was one supremely confident HOLY SHIT moment where technology let them do something brilliant with the gameplay and the story. Then the mechanics that came into play because of it?! That is some “Fuck yeah! This is why I game!!” Awesomeness.

Horns way up for Titanfall 2!

I’m with you on game feel. Even in the beta it was evident that that TF2 was a superb feeling shooter.

Best Shooter? I’m less sure about that. For my tastes the grander scale and less twitchy-killbox format of BF1 far surpasses TF2. That said, I think I may have undersold TF2 a bit in terms of passion. I’ve seen a bit more and it is pretty evident.

I think BF1 v TF2 is going to fall largely down to personal tastes, since they really offer pretty different types of gameplay.

@merryprankster I think it just speaks to how strong a year 2016 has been for shooters in general. It’s basically an embarrassment of riches. For the first time in years, there’s nearly a dozen unique shooting experiences offering everything from profanity-laden looter-shooters, to parkour-mech shooters, inspired reboots of beloved franchises, incredible team-based shooters, and unique takes on the open-world FPS formula. We’re pretty lucky!

Devil Daggers
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
Shadow Warrior 2
Battleborn
Overwatch
Doom
Homefront: The Revolution
Far Cry Primal
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
COD *2

Agreed. It really has been a pretty stellar year got shooters, and gaming in general.

I am really struggling with the multiplayer in this game. I don’t think I’ve ever felt as ineffective in a FPS as I do here. I didn’t play the original Titanfall so I’m a little behind the curve I suppose, but I’m getting completely stomped in every game and I don’t feel like I’m improving much over time. Does anyone have any good tips or resources for getting better? The quality of the single player campaign was a nice surprise, but I bought this game mostly to play multiplayer and I want enjoy it more than I am right now.

That is why I was hoping they would have included the Frontier Defense horde mode added to the original game at release. I found that a very rewarding experience since you get to play online with other randoms but you are all working together against fairly strong AI. It was a lot of fun and far less frustrating than the versus MP.

I’m having the same trouble and was pretty good at the first Titanfall.

Interesting. My friends who played the first Titanfall have been saying the same thing.

Me too. I mean, I was crap at Titanfall, but my performance in Titanfall 2 is abismal. Actually, I might be done with the game. Leveling up managing about 5-6 kills (titan and pilots combined) is too slow.

Some good responses to me with some tips and tricks here:

Won’t be able to read them until later but maybe it’ll help others?