Played through the tutorial.
- It’s OGRE. The UI is OK. I only have a couple of quibbles with it.
- It’s also GEV. You get advanced terrain and overrun rules, if you want them. Ogres are murder machines with ram rules; they’re still murder machines with overrun rules. You never, ever want to overrun infantry entrenched in town hexes (double INF firepower and defense) unless it’s an Ogre doing the overrunning (double Ogre attack strength). GEVs in swamps are a Bad Idea.
- Only the good parts of SHOCKWAVE, which means no friggin’ laser towers or cruise missiles. Which is is good. You get strongpoints.
- Presentation is barebones as hell; functional enough, but I’m looking forward to being able to mod in painted units.
- You get to make your own scenarios and maps. The official scenarios are included.
So, if you want OGRE/GEV on the PC, well, you’ve got it!