To Ogre or not to Ogre!

I am that much closer to getting it…now I just have to figure where I can hide the box (and that will not be easy).

Probably should have a contest… who can pick the best place to hide their Ogre box. It is so big no way would wife miss this one.

The one thing that digital downloads has done - do not have to sneak anything into the house; I am out of practice! :>)

Golly!

I loved this game as a kid. I just might go in on this.

I jumped in immediately. Might adjust my bid upwards for dice, counter sheets, etc.

I’ve bought OGRE and its fluff material so many times over the years (including OGRE miniatures) that I just can’t bring myself to buy yet another version. Nice to see SJ Games bringing it back though – there aren’t any better one vs. many wargames out there.

This, incidentally is one of the reasons it solos well.

Solo Ogre.

Jesus. $100? No, thanks. I already have The Ogre Book and the original cardstock games, but I never play 'em. Count me in for a tablet version if they ever do one, but this cardstock monstrosity doesn’t appeal… the cardboard Ogres just don’t quite do it for me. Sorry, Steve.

The old Origin OGRE computer adaptation was released in the 80s era where Origin would stuff the box full of fluff. One of OGRE’s fluff pieces was a booklet that described the OGRE A.I. (the computer would only play the OGRE, not the defense). It was neat stuff, and surprisingly effective.

Eh the cost is no different than any of GW’s limited edition boxed releases like Space Hulk or Dreadfleet, nor is it excessively high for a board wargame these days. The amount of card- and counter-stock seemingly involved would speak to a high price so $100 isn’t too shocking (though they aren’t too apparent on what exactly the box contents are).

— Alan

OOO that would rock.

I’ve been debating jumping in on this also. I’ve never played it though, although it seems like it’s up my alley.

They’re still sorting out what the box contents are. I keep getting updates as cash thresholds are met - for instance, they recently bumped the maps from 2 double-sided maps to 4 single-sided ones. They also made the dice bigger by meeting an earlier threshold. So I imagine there may be more of this as we go.

I love Ogre, Car Wars, Illuminati, etc. SJG stuff traveled well (all of the ones I owned were in the black snap boxes) and were fun. That was, of course, when I also had friends IRL who played. Today, that huge box would only take up space in my office I don’t have. I don’t buy collector editions of games with statues if I can avoid it; I just don’t have the space or want to make the room. Why I do I keep having to talk myself out of it?

I will probably donate a little something, if only for getting to see Steve again after all of these years. I second the motion that if SJG would make iOS/XBL versions of all of those awesome games, I would be all over that Kickstarter.

I have to admit I harbored a secret dream of developing a little video game version of OGRE, though I never got anywhere with it. I doubt SJ would be open to licensing the property out to Joe Hobbyist, regardless of how much of a fan I am. Fun to dream about though.

I’m Commander Shepard, and Pogue Mahone is my favorite closet developer of iOS versions of awesome board games from my youth on the Citadel.

He did license out Illuminati for a pbm version years ago. I always thought that they should have followed the VGA planets idea. Give away the server side of the Illuminat pbm game and sell some type of client so people could play together. I actually emailed Steve Jackson the idea and he wrote back to me to my surprise. Anyone remember the pbm version? Flying Buffalo ran it for a while after the original company stopped for some reason. That was many years ago now.

They are talking about an iOS app to keep track of the OGRE last update I read. What would kill me is if I do buy the board version and then at the end of the kickstarter they start the iOS Ogre kickstarter. :>)

Am I a turd for disliking the 3d cardboard models? I was hoping for true figures, preferably painted!

I found an interesting podcast from two Steve Jackson team members talking about the game right before they put it on Kickstarter:

http://thatshowweroll.libsyn.com/webpage/that-s-how-we-roll-season-03-episode-06-kicking-the-ogre-with-steve-jackson-games

Someone mentioned that the chip board is harder to break than some of the cheaper plastic models that have been used in games before (their opinion). I am not that experienced on chipboard - is it that strong?

The box will hold the built OGREs so wear and tear from taking them apart will be less likely.

Same for me. I pledged $10 because, Steve Jackson. But I won’t be buying the game.

Ditto for me. I played the heck out of a copy of the original Ogre Metagame #1 when it came out in High School.

I have no idea where I’d put a 40lb box of Ogre stuff, but I’m thinking of kicking in and getting the lapel pins just for the heck of it. I would love to see this game on the iPad. Seems like it would be a natural.

Damn, I really REALLY want a new Car Wars, better yet a IPAD or PC version of Car Wars…ala Darkwind…but single player would be great!!!

I’ve got a job, family, children…don’t have time for multiplayer (i.e. can’t pause and save, and the design is built around being a time waster rather than telling a story).