To Ogre or not to Ogre!

Dammit, I talked myself into upgrading to the $150 level - it was the free OGRE bag ($40 value!) that pushed me over, as well as a copy of Pocket Ogre (when adding on extra dice since it has to exceed 150).

I thought everyone at 150 level also got Pocket Ogre. I must have read it wrong. I am staying at the 100 dollar level. I decided to support a few other projects instead (like Starlight Inception).

Conflicted. Every bone in my body sings in unison at the prospect of a world fraught with thermonuclear warfare fought with massive tanks, but I struggle to understand how this can be an interesting gaming hobby. Sell me, please?

Not going to try selling you on the play itself since the pocket edition is going to make a comeback. If you are new to the Ogre Universe then I would simply wait for the pocket version to try it out inexpensively.

I would think you may have a chance to pick up the mini’s when they do them in the future if the designer edition is not available (if you decide you like the game after all).

My thinking is that even if you do not like the game I do not believe it will be difficult to sell at a later date and get most of your money back as long as you take care of the game and keep it in good condition.

Yeah, if you’re on the fence then I’m not sure that jumping into a $100 board game, awesome as it may be (and it is), would be the best call here. Maybe hold out for the pocket edition or the computer game that’s apparently coming in the next year or so.

Or something like this would work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ogre-GEV-clamshell-edition-from-2000-uncut-Steve-Jackson-Games-/290708776513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43af97e641

(not my sale)

There’s been a ton of OGRE versions and this one is probably the best to get started with. Don’t bother going any earlier editions than this.

So funny, remembering picking up my pocket box version of OGRE for $3.95 when I was like 12. This is in the early 80’s, when even the then-humble burg of Coeur d’Alene, ID had a nice game store :)

Yeah, that versi

Yeah, that version in scharmers’s link is the one I own and currently game with. I wasn’t sure if it was still available at this point but it’s perfectly fine for play and apparently reasonably priced.

Number one funded boardgame on Kickstarter!

Ran over all those Zombies ;>)

Nice retrospective here: Ogre-A Look Back. I had the original Ogre in the taped plastic bag. 2.95 baby!

What. The. Fuck.

5,411 Backers
$899,317 pledged of $20,000 goal
54 minutes to go

They’ve almost broken NINE FUCKING HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS. Jesus. And that’s with only 5,411 backers, making an average of $166. Wonder if that’s the highest average contribution ever for a Kickstarter project? And how the fucking hell did they pick up another $100K+ in, like, the last 48 hours? I swear to God they just broke $750K a couple of days ago.

Edit:
OK, this is completely fucking ridiculous now. I just hit refresh, literally only seconds ago:

5,413 Backers
$900,366 pledged of $20,000 goal
50 minutes to go

They just got $1,000 more from only two backers. What the holy hell is going on here? I think I will hit refresh and update this post periodically for the next hour just to see.

Edit 2:
5,423 Backers
$902,507 pledged of $20,000 goal
43 minutes to go

They’re pulling in over $300 per minute.

Edit 3:
5,432 Backers
$904,844 pledged of $20,000 goal
38 minutes to go

Edit 4:
5,463 Backers
$915,728 pledged of $20,000 goal
18 minutes to go

Now pulling over $500 per minute over the last 20 minutes.

Edit 5, the Penultimate:
5,483 Backers
$919,136 pledged of $20,000 goal
8 minutes to go

Gonna pop $920K on next refresh, I’m sure. Probably top out at about $925K. Unbelievable.

Final Edit:
5,512 Backers
$923,680 pledged of $20,000 goal
0 seconds to go
Funding Successful
This project successfully raised its funding goal 1 minute ago.

Bit of an understatement there, I think. They pulled in 46x their goal. Now that’s how to run a Kickstarter campaign.

Consider that the lowest-level cost of entry for actually getting the game (the important part here, never mind the swag or getting a Car Wars KS going) is $100.

Yes, I’m aware of that. (I’m in at $100 myself :-) Still, it’s pretty stupendous.

Just can’t see any reason to jump from $100 to $150 (plus extras).

What about the bag, man??? Ok yeah, I don’t really feel the need to jump to $150 either.

It is pretty thrilling. It’s also a bit frustrating that it’s taking $900K and $100 of my own money to get it through Steve’s thick head that Munchkin is bullshit and that Classic OGRE and Classic Car Wars is where its at. Look, Evil Stevie, the folks with the real cash are the greybeards with good jobs who remember the pocket boxes, not the hurf durfs picking up Munchkin expansions with lunch money :)

Better late than never, I guess.

Much as I might wish that were true, they sold over $3 million worth of Munchkin stuff in 2011 alone, 75% of their sales. So, even with massive success, Ogre isn’t going to replace Munchkin.

http://www.sjgames.com/general/stakeholders/

Between this, Zombicide, and Zpocalypse I’ve committed to quite a bit of Kickstartered boardgaming goodness. The only sure-thing is OGRE, but I’m looking forward to taking shots with the other two!

I caved and went to $150 for the additional swag, but mostly to get a copy of Pocket Ogre along with it.