To Play List

“Reasonable prices”? The last time I looked for FS2 on eBay, it was going for an excess of $80. That’s not too reasonable for an older game… and I think it’s a bit older than two years, too. More like four.

Something must be wrong with me.

The only 2 games that I play constantly nowadays are Battlefield 1942 and Uncommon Valor. Every now and then I’ll play one of the games I picked up in a Microsoft Action pack (Starlancer or Crimson Tide), and when I finish those (in a few months at my rate), I’ll install Metal Gear Solid.

AoW II (Which I, finally picked, up for $19.99 a week or so ago and it is a huge step up from the original. MAny of the things that irritated me have been fixed. Great fun.)

I love that game. It is a huge time-sink to even finish one scenario though - not a bad thing, but save often in case you screw up (and the computer will take devastating advantage of your mistakes). On Fire 3, I got to 90 turns before I finally finished the map, which probably translates to three or four hours play time. At this rate, I assume that the full game will take me 100 hours to beat for just single player, so the absence of the random scenario generator just seems like a non-issue.

A bunch of us Qt3 guys have a PBEM going right now that is a lot of fun. I’m Skeletor.

I tried to make one of these lists once but it was depressing. There’s no way I’ll even play half of these games and there are more coming out every week. I loved Freespace and really want to play FS2 but it’s been sitting on a shelf unopened for months. It’s not my fault BF1942 and Sega Soccer Slam are so good. :(

It will be a lot easier to list the games I’ve actually finished or played out in the last 13 months than attempt to list the mountain of titles that “I’ll get back to soon”. Yeah, right. :roll:

Lee’s Anti-“To Play” List, 2002 to present:[ul][li]Medal of Honor: Allied Assault[]Command and Conquer: Renegade[]Star Trek: Bridge Commander[]Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast[]Baldur’s Gate (I, not II! Copy purchased at time of release, too. :shock:)[]Final Fantasy X[]Advance Wars[]Earth and Beyond (175+ hours logged, still playing!)[/ul]Actually, 2002 was something of a banner year for me in terms of game completion. :D
[/li]
Promising candidates for completion in 2003:[ul][
]Metroid Prime[*]TLoZ: A Link to the Past (GBA)[/ul]The 2003 list does not include upcoming games that I think I’ll like because, as past experience painfully shows, liking a good game is no guarantee that I’ll get my money’s worth out of it.

That was a big problem of mine with the first one. The battlefields were too large and the units too small and the battles lasted too long. Much of that seems to have been remedied in AoW II. Of course, I did not finish the rule book before I started and it seems like it took me around 100 turns for Fire1. Still liking it.

Biggest favorable change so far: Being able to cycle back through units you have partially moved. In the original, once you had gone past a unit, you could not go back whether it had MP left or not.

Next time the Qt3ers start one up, I’ll give it a go. Hopefully I will have mastered a few strategies by then. There is a lot going on in this baby.

How did they rip it down to 215MB or so? My copy is on three CDs.

I have to go back and finish the first in this series and soon. Who here, honestly, is not looking forward to this?

Did anyone dare to believe a sequel to the overlooked, sleeper hit Vet Emergency I would ever be made? Dreams do come true :!:

I have tons of games I haven’t finished. In fact, I don’t finish many games before I get bored or frustrated and move on to another one. I HAVE finished: Diablo, Diablo 2, Baldur’s Gate, IWD 1 & 2, Half-Life, and many other seminal classics. But really it doesn’t bother me when I don’t finish a game. I sometimes go back and play some more (I am playing some BG2 now, which is too damned long), but that’s just because I want more of a great game and am ready to play it some more. But I never feel obligated to finish them or anything like that. I play til I am not having fun anymore, and then I stop. Of course, I am not implying that makes me better or worse than anyone else…it’s just my approach to games.

BTW, I like these lists. It reminds me of games I never got around to playing at all, much less completing.

As I recall, Desslock said he has completed every game he’s ever played. Is that true?

How did they rip it down to 215MB or so? My copy is on three CDs.[/quote]
It says it’s a CD Rip, so no movies, no audio and probably no voices. You get what you pay for.

It’s not 4 years old. 3 at most.

-Any and every Bioware/Infinty engine game released. I honestly don’t exactly feel the D&D pen and paper system translates all that well to the CRPG world, (a world in which it stuffs less creativity and more hack and slash at you than possibly Diablo) especially in the case of the rules of magic, some limitations just don’t work all that well when redundant combat situations become so prevalent. But they have certainly captivated enough people out there nonetheless and I still have opes I can someday complete a single one of them.

Planescape Torment especially is a title I’ve promised myself to play, as it does seem the most creative of the bunch, but I see no possible window of opportunity to let it happen.

Icewind Dale 2 and Neverwinter Nights I have put the most amount of time into. IWD2 especially had some neat aspects to the way it implemented the new rulesets, and certainly the writing was a redeeming reason to keep plugging along through so many vapid encounters on this seemingly arduous but ultimately redundant journey. I gave in halfway through, the upper tier leveling just isn’t as remotely enjoyable as the early goings. The monsters get bigger, the abilities get flashier, the tactics never change. Somehow I feel I AM missing out on something spectacular though, hence my desire to sort of continue, but it’s a fleeting curiosity that weakens each day.

-System Shock 2 and Deus EX are definately on my list as well. I do own them, but never saw fit to spend time with either unfortunately.

-Recently I am struggling to finish Suikoden 3, which I am finding to be a game I am forcefully enduring rather than simply enjoying. It’s a rather basic digital novella termed ‘RPG Adventure’ that throws a whole slew of random heroes and heroines together whom share a thinly crafted tie that binds each of them under the backdrop of a war torn nation and the struggles they all have to interject and make a stand. Basic to the extreme as far as combat, exploration, and dialogue is concerned. It has plenty of gimmicks to appease fans of this subset of gaming, but the sum of it’s parts create a rather dismal experience that really doesn’t demand much from it’s participatory audience other than simply ‘being present’. Shame too as I really was hoping for something smart here. I’d like to press on though, as I do hope it improves, but I am afraid it won’t happen.

which I am finding to be a game I am forcefully enduring rather than simply enjoying

There are so many good games out there, why continue a game once it becomes tedious?

Because of my short attention span, i’ve dropped more games than not. Not terribly cost-effective, but there are soo many games, so little time.

Yep. I always play games to completion – if I start playing it, I’ll complete it.

That said, there’s about 20 games on my shelf from the past couple years that I haven’t even started, but would like to one day find the time to play:

Sacrifice;
er, Black and White;
Starfleet Command 1;
WWII Fighters;
CFS2;
Myth III;
Jagged Alliance 2 expansion;
Red Faction;
Fallout Tactics;
Empire Earth;
Operation Flashpoint Red Hammer;
Freedom Force;
Jedi Knight 2;
NOLF 2;
Starfleet Command 2 - Orion Pirates;
Summoner;
C&C - Tiberian Sun, and Expansion.
Mafia;
Unreal 2.

Currently spending all my time playing Combat Mission 2 and GTA 3, aside from a review I’m working on.

I dunno if they fixed the bug or not, but one of those first two Starfleet Command games – forget which one – has a bug that keeps finishing it next to impossible. The longer you play, the slower the game gets until it becomes unplayable. Which is real pleasant to experience, because you lose all of your progress.

It’s not 4 years old. 3 at most.

Actually, Freespace 2 is going on four years now. It was released in October of 1999 according to Moby Games, which jives with my memory of it as well.

-System Shock 2 and Deus EX are definately on my list as well. I do own them, but never saw fit to spend time with either unfortunately.

Man, you really should put System Shock 2 into your queue right now. One of the greatest PC games of all time IMO. It’s certainly worth skipping a more recent game to sit down and play SS2.

–Dave

Man, you really should put System Shock 2 into your queue right now. One of the greatest PC games of all time IMO. It’s certainly worth skipping a more recent game to sit down and play SS2.

It’s better than Smash Bros. Melee? :shock:

Hmmm…well…uh…ok…um…flip a coin!

–Dave

Yes, put SS2 at the top of the queue. That’s the only game that’s ever scared me so bad I had to stop playing it for a while.