To Starforce, or not to Starforce, that is the question

Got a new computer about six weeks ago. Until now it’s been free of the Starforce virus…but I’m getting an itch for play some Starforce-protected games…my Pax Romana is calling me, and I’m dying to try X3. You guys think Starforce’s potential for system damage is overrated, or should I keep the system Starforce-free?

I have had it installed on my computer for a long while now with 0 problems. I even have alc 120 installed and all that jazz.

Why not use your old computer for Starforce stuff instead? I bit the bullet with Space Rangers 2 on this rig, and though it’s messed the system up, it’s probably worth it overall. But there’s no way SR2 or any other game with Starforce is going to get on my new system once I’ve got it. Fool me twice… you can’t get fooled again.

I would, if i HAD the old computer. The old computer was sold to go towards the new one. And the old computer would never run X3, anyway.

Just out of curiosity, what did Starforce do to your computer?

I’ve played X3 and SR2, and neither has seemed to affect this machine.

I also have Alcohol and Nero installed, and even use the drive imaging stuff… Just have to disable it when you want to play X3.

You can install SR2 on a throwaway PC, copy the directory over and then download the crack.

It screwed up my CDR drive. I can’t burn anything anymore without a strange and annoying workaround.

I also suspect it of causing performance problems, but I can’t prove anything.

Edit: “Throwaway PC,” that says it all.

Wow, you know that CDR drive is now worth $1000.00 (Plus a free trip tp Moscow)?
http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23272

Killed a Plextor DVD burner on my system as well. Until that point, I had found starforce to be a non-issue, games worked fine, even with Nero and Alcohol installed. Then I realized that all the DVD’s I’d burned for a week were coasters.

Wow, you know that CDR drive is now worth $1000.00 (Plus a free trip tp Moscow)?
http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23272[/quote]

I’m pretty sure that a.) it’s an almost certainly non-reproducible software issue that will go away with a reformat, and b.) if anybody looks like they’re actually going to be able to cash in on this, they’ll be killed by the Russian mafia.

killed my liteon drive (dvd) w/ SR2, but x3 hasnt bothered my replacement drive yet. DVD writers are 35$ now, so I just take the risk. I’ve never had SF hose my ststem so abd that I couldnt fix it with a new optical drive.

That right there just screams out the reason to never have anything to do with Starforce.

I just can’t think of any other game out there that has caused damage to my system such that I needed to replace parts (I mean aside from me breaking a mouse in anger).

Starforce is already pretty much broken as far as copy protection versus piracy goes… so why inconvenience legit users?

That right there just screams out the reason to never have anything to do with Starforce.

I just can’t think of any other game out there that has caused damage to my system such that I needed to replace parts (I mean aside from me breaking a mouse in anger).[/quote]

unfortunately for my drives, there are games good enough to risk the relatively cheap DVD drive. I dont even think it’s likely or common to mess them up, but there is definately a risk in my opinion.

The Starforce on my SR2 didn’t do anything to my PC, as far as I can tell.

Question for the people that had their DVD drive screwed by starforce was it the only drive in the system or did you have a reader and then a writer?

Had a standard DVD drive, and the DVD burner. Post-Starforce, both drives still worked as readers, but the Plextor could no longer burn disks.

Had a standard DVD drive, and the DVD burner. Post-Starforce, both drives still worked as readers, but the Plextor could no longer burn disks.[/quote]

similar behavior. I only had a burner, and it could read data discs, but not burn anything post SR2, nor could it read movie DVDs any longer. It took like 10 tries on average to read my bf2 dvd, but any SF title worked perfectly. Really weird problem. Totally fixed by throwing away the drive and replacing it. (and removing SF and sr2 before installing the enw drive)

x3 isnt giving me any guff, but it’s a newer version of SF.

So, how does it actualy harm the drive itself? Its bios or something? Has anyone tried to format the drive to see if it is a software only issue or hardware?

Yeah thats what I dont get either. How is that even possible?